Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bet he's on TMC right now reading this. 😀

Edit: I don't have a Twitter account so this is just a screen shot from the link in redan's post...

20210923_133221.jpg

I bet he's on TMC right now reading this. 😀

View attachment 713175

I will say, if he's being genuine and just wants to be open about his move and his beliefs, all the power to him. It would be refreshing for Wall St since most of Wall St is all about trying to mislead and get the leg up on other investors.

Most whales build their position secretly/quietly and only go open about it after they've gotten the amount of shares they want. This guys has been openly telegraphing his buys, even before he's done the buying.

I will say, if he's being genuine and just wants to be open about his move and his beliefs, all the power to him. It would be refreshing for Wall St since most of Wall St is all about trying to mislead and get the leg up on other investors.

Most whales build their position secretly/quietly and only go open about it after they've gotten the amount of shares they want. This guys has been openly telegraphing his buys, even before he's done the buying.
But will he telegraph his sells?

But will he telegraph his sells?

Well that becomes the question. With these last couple of tweets he's made, he claims he's in for the long run and expecting a 5X return. But when the stock does start it's next rally, will he be tempted to take a 50% gain and sell off..........which is why I said we'll see if he's for real over the next 2 earnings reports. He's sucking up a lot of the available float. If he does hold like he's saying he will, we won't see any significant sell offs throughout the next big rally.

I get where you’re coming from but personally feel holding TSLA by retail is a powerful strategy from both the individual and the market perspectives.

For individuals, holding allows you to take a long term view. It also insulates you from the short term manipulations of those with access to higher execution speeds and more ways to slice and dice trades. While "simply" holding doesn’t make you invulnerable, it makes you far less vulnerable to extraneous influences than the options trader.

From a market perspective, recall the summer of 2018 when there was a concerted effort to "short-to-kill" Tesla. I held knowing of and aiming to combat this effort even though much of my position was down by half at that point. Those retail investors who did as I did, and a good number of them are here, helped Tesla weather a dangerous storm.

Powerless? I think not—these are not small things.

As I’ve said, I’m not against options (folks here have even influenced me to have level II trading enabled on one of my investment accounts, though I’ve not done any trading). I don’t trade because of the opportunity cost: I feel my attention is better allocated elsewhere than options trading demands.

tl;dr: 🐢 vs 🐇

capster, I think you quoted the wrong poster in your response. That or you're WAY out in left field.

What I was telling Wicket is that the amount of shares that retail investors (and traders) move around in TSLA stock is miniscule (billionaire buying 5 million shares being the exception) and isn't enough to affect the gyrations of the stock price. ESPECIALLY because most of TMCers are in the buy-n-hold camp (even the option traders!!). This statement, I think is pretty well accepted, right?

The amount of options moved around by these very same retail investors, however, seem to approach a pretty significant fraction of the options traded weekly (if not daily) - especially with the selling of covered calls. Thus my claim that retail options traders might be the ones responsible for lower premiums for those call options (and thus the lower IV).

Any agency that is appointed by politicians and serve a short term has the potential for political and lobbyist influence.
There is no question about your points. All government functions, regardless of country or political orientation, are inherently influenced by politics. The NTSB is not an exception. However, unlike the most egregious examples of political influence any of us can name (from any country, any political perspective) the NTSB has zero rule making or legislative authority. Despite sometimes bizarre choices, including the recent ones, the NTSB tends to rise above narrow issues. Recent evidence regarding Boeing, for example, was quite scathing regarding both government oversight and corporate negligence. The appointees surely were acutely well aware of the pitfalls of so doing.

One example:
Robert_L._Sumwalt_(U.S._government_official)
Mr. Sumwalt was deeply involved with the US Aviation industry, including ALPA and the definitive civil aviation incubator, Embry-Riddle. He was appointed by both Democrats and Republican Presidents, including both Obama and Trump. I have met him, dealt with him and found him to be definitive in his opinions. Notably considering his background he did zero favors for Boeing, including playing a major role in then 787 issues from Battery to design negligence.

No question that politics enter, but also the NTSB has had pretty decent results from some technically qualified board members to decent staff accident investigators.

Since they have been critical of regulatory, training and autopilot design flaws in aircraft; procedural, equipment and crew flaws in ships and a litany of automotive issues it is safe to say they are thorn in complacencies side.

That said, they'll not give Tesla a pass, nor will they all the others. Absent Mr. Sumwalt and with a less technically qualified chief it is an open question what limitations that will bring to the NTSB.

After all that please don't conflate the NTSB with the political hacks inhabiting the traditional Executive and Legislative branches. They are not perfect but they tend to improve things, not hamper them.

I admit it, though, I'm concerned about Autopilot and FSD. Looking at them all will tend to produce interesting results.

As someone who lives in a rural area I am pleased to report my home already has electricity.

Indoor plumbing too!
I am old enough to remember living on a farm that had no grid access, no indoor plumbing. Electricity, such as it was, came from a bizarre windmill charging ancient lead-acid batteries that yielded tiny amounts of 12v DC. That was enough to cool the milk, and give a little sputtering light, not much more.

The advent of Starlink, fairly cheap photovoltaics and the like already make the lives of many poor rural people and inhabitants of remote islands much better than they were before. Tesla and SpaceX are contributing to those good outcomes, and are helping foment also broader industry efforts to do more. We rarely think about Tesla and SpaceX in that context, but it is very important.

Benzinga - 23 minutes ago: Samsung Wins Tesla Contract, Beating Taiwan Semiconductor: KED

Excerpt:
  • Samsung will manufacture Tesla's next-generation hardware 4 (HW 4.0) chip for its fully autonomous driving technology.
  • Tesla and Samsung's foundry division were working on the design and samples of the chip from the start of 2021.
  • Samsung aims to mass-produce the Tesla HW 4.0 chip at its main Hwasung plant in Korea using the 7-nm processing technology in Q4 of 2021 at the earliest.
  • Tesla and Samsung agreed on the 7-nm process for the safety of Tesla's next-generation electric vehicles.
  • Tesla's Cybertruck will likely adopt the HW 4.0 computer.

Teslarati - today: Tesla Megafactory for Megapack production breaks ground in Lathrop, CA

Excerpt:

Tesla has broken ground on its first Megafactory in Lathrop, California. The facility will produce Tesla’s Megapack, a large-scale energy storage product utilized by sizeable sustainable energy products to store excessive amounts of energy produced from solar panels.

Teslarati - today: Tesla Megafactory for Megapack production breaks ground in Lathrop, CA

Excerpt:

Tesla has broken ground on its first Megafactory in Lathrop, California. The facility will produce Tesla’s Megapack, a large-scale energy storage product utilized by sizeable sustainable energy products to store excessive amounts of energy produced from solar panels.

Tesla is super efficient. Already planning ahead knowing 4680 is around the corner, so that energy will get more batteries.

"Cars killed 42,060 people in 2020."

This part might be a repeat, but the use of a mature rate and a recognition that there's a slope for technology (or product) acceptance gives delay a measurable cost.

So about 800 people lose their lives each week on roads.

Whatever the slope of acceptance is, even if it is a step, the cost of delay is 800 people a week in the US.

That is for a 100% solution? If the solution has a shape of diminishing returns, the shape moves sideways.

So delay costs 800 people a week even if the solution is not 100%.