Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks to the a run of 12 wins in 14 games, and 20 of last 25, the home team is now a season high 9 games above 0.500. The momentum is on their side as they prepare for the end of season playoffs. The loyal season ticket holders knew this day would eventually come and look forward to Team Tesla having a good run the rest of the season with a healthy roster and two draft picks joining the team later this year.

Today
Score:753.64
Margin of W/L:1.70
Attendance:11,929,792
High - Low:10.28
Season
Record:96-87
Total margin of wins:1,543.45
Total margin of losses:-1,495.48
YTD gain/loss:47.976.80%
Price/52 week high83.70%
Best Win:110.58Mar 9
Worst Loss:-68.83Jan 11
Last 10:8-2
Streak:L1
Avg margin of victory:16.08
Avg margin of defeat:-17.19
Avg Attendance:17,252,946
Avg Attendance of Last 10:18,761,438
Avg High - Low:30.09
Avg H - L of Last 10:18.54
Streak should be W3.

Reactions: Chunky Jr.
In a strange turn of fate thats the only reliable bit on the mach-e...

Recently my perspective on this issue has changed.

I don't view Tesla as competing with Legacy Auto or the Chinese,

I view the Chinese as competing with Legacy Auto, looking at the latest cars and prices from BYD and Xpeng, the ChInese might be winning...

I don't mind if China owns 20-30% of the global car market, but China owning 50-60% of the global car market is far from ideal.

Companies like GM and Ford need to get their act together, I'm glad Ford has hired Doug Field.

It is better for the planet and humanity if the global car market is truly global with market makers headquartered in the US, Europe, China, Japan and Korea.

It is looking like Japan and China will swap places, I will not be surprised if BYD is the new Toyota and Xpeng is the new Subaru, I will be surprised if Toyota gets it act together in time.

The next 5-10 years will be interesting, and I hope we retain a diverse market...

I'm going to refrain where possible from a cheap laugh at Ford's expense, they need all the help and encouragement they can get.

In my news feed

Why this super successful growth investor no longer owns Tesla shares - MarketWatch

Excerpt
->

“Tesla has high capital intensity and constantly needs to get funding from the capital markets. That "isn't necessarily bad, but it does put you in a position of potentially, during times of uncertainty, of relying on the kindness of strangers to continue that business model” Peter Dennis Lynch said

Lynch acknowledged that founder Elon Musk has done "really amazing things." But he goes back to whether the company can be profitable.

"When you rely on capital markets, and you're dreaming big, there's a fine line between inspiring and making promises that maybe you can't keep," he said.

—-

I am amazed that this perception lives on among supposed experts. I keep thinking successful investors who make billion dollar decisions must have deep knowledge and have reams of data about the companies they invest or divest in.

I’m so glad I found this place. Woe betide the folks getting their investment advice from cable TV

Mod: corrected name above --ggr

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, fun times. Should have just gone all in, but ghosts of 2008 still haunted me at the time.

Here's just a few:

View attachment 713274

EDIT: Forgot: "Diamond Hands FTW"

Those of us who lived through 2000 and 2008 are forever tainted and gunshot. I literally wake up at 4:30am EST every morning to check if the market is crashing. I'm shocked every day that it isn't.

My finger is ALWAYS on the sell trigger. Sad way to have to live.

The next 5-10 years will be interesting, and I hope we retain a diverse market...
I don't think we're going to.

I was pulling out of a parking lot the other day and saw some souped up Honda. I explained to my son that that's pointless now. The kid who put all the effort, expense, and pride into that car will pull up next to some housewife in her Model Y, kids strapped in in the back seats, and she will smoke him if the thought occurs to her.

What's the point now of having a Corvette or a Charger? Especially when the world fills up with robotaxis. I see the choices in cars becoming more vanilla and more utilitarian. Tesla could be like an invasive species that comes into a defenseless eco system and eats everything.

I don't think we're going to.

I was pulling out of a parking lot the other day and saw some souped up Honda. I explained to my son that that's pointless now. The kid who put all the effort, expense, and pride into that car will pull up next to some housewife in her Model Y, kids strapped in in the back seats, and she will smoke him if the thought occurs to her.

What's the point now of having a Corvette or a Charger? Especially when the world fills up with robotaxis. I see the choices in cars becoming more vanilla and more utilitarian. Tesla could be like an invasive species that comes into a defenseless eco system and eats everything.

The reason I mentioned it is, there already seems to be 1-2 Chinese EVs at approximate price parity with a similar ICE car, even ignoring savings in running costs. the EVs seem like a better can than the ICE to me..

The other fact that I heard in a YouTube video was Chinese aiming to produce around 35 Million EVs per year by 2025, I am not sure about the source for that claim. but we already know China has definite ambitions to export EVs,,,

To avoid cluttering up this thread I posted a link to the video here:- Tesla BEV Competition Developments

I do slightly doubt the claim, but not the CHinese ambition...

I think Tesla will be fine, and is planning on ramping up to 20 Million EVs per year in 2030.

But add up Tesla increased production, Chinese increased production, and factor in Robotaxis, how much market share is available for all other carmakers?

More and more I'm getting the impression Tesla's mission of Clean Energy and Transport is going to succeed far faster than the mainstream media and the general public recognise.

Last edited:
Random thought:

Im simultaneously both extremely interested and scared to see what Dojo could produce if it was trained on making deepfakes…

IMO, AI has already gone way past just deep fakes. This whole kpop group is purely made by AI. If current AI can already do this, I can only assume that future AI will have no issues with passing any Turing test for streaming video.

Also, to remain relevant to Tesla, I'm not 100% sure if dojo will work for or excel at this kind of application.

Tesla is already releasing an update to help with this emergency vehicle situations. Something no one else can do at the moment. Let those agencies do their thing and we shall see how this plays out. We are in uncharted territory with self driving.

Are you really THAT naive? Have you not seen today's news? The NHTSA is now asking the public for videos of the crash in Florida. This is becoming nothing more than a smear campaign - well actually, much worse.

Are you really THAT naive? Have you not seen today's news? The NHTSA is now asking the public for videos of the crash in Florida. This is becoming nothing more than a smear campaign - well actually, much worse.

It isn't NHTSA asking for videos it is the NTSB. And the NTSB has always had it out for Tesla/AP but they can't actually do anything but shake their fist at the sky.

So @MP3Mike, you down voted my comment. Can you please give your opinion on the NTSB requesting videos of the Tesla wreck in Florida. Can you tell me a single other time they've made such a request of the public?

NTSB Seeks Video of Tesla Crash

Can you tell me a single other time they've made such a request of the public?

They always try to gather as much information as possible. Maybe in this case they weren't getting enough information without a public request.

For example here:

and they used witness video here:

They always try to gather as much information as possible. Maybe in this case they weren't getting enough information without a public request.

For example here:

and they used witness video here:

Fair enough. Thanks for replying.

Note however, being presented with a video is far different from requesting a video from the public - which is what I asked if anyone had ever seen before. I cannot find any prior example of the NTSB requesting video from the public (that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, maybe you can find it).

Fair enough. Thanks for replying.

Note however, being presented with a video is far different from requesting a video from the public - which is what I asked if anyone had ever seen before. I cannot find any prior example of the NTSB requesting video from the public (that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, maybe you can find it).

Umm, really it was right their in the first link. NTSB Requests Public’s Help in Investigation of Kobe Bryant Crash

An NTSB official on Monday requested help from the public in their investigation of the helicopter crash that killed Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant and eight others on Sunday morning.

NTSA Board Member Jennifer Homendy addressed the media and requested anyone with photos of the weather in the area of the crash send them to [email protected]. Homendy stressed that “weather is just a small portion” of the investigation.

Ok fine, that says they only asked for photos and not videos. But they do ask for help from the public on occasion.

Umm, really it was right their in the first link. NTSB Requests Public’s Help in Investigation of Kobe Bryant Crash

Ok fine, that says they only asked for photos and not videos. But they do ask for help from the public on occasion.

OK, you did find something close enough - doesn't have to be exact. I've just never seen it - out of thousand of car crashes and fires, I just can't remember, nor find and example of it. Maybe I am just paranoid and these are all just good people treating Tesla fairly.