Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderators Complain TMC's Reaction Score Could Result in Less Bannings

"The focus on improving reaction score could reduce our ability to ban users", lamented one moderator in rural Alaska.
I categorically can state that Moderator would commit seppuku with a rusty screwdriver before ever uttering or writing the two word combination “Less Bannings”.🤮

Bahaha! CAMPED! at the MA(10)

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2021-10-01.10-45.png

Wedgies are so predictable... :p

Cheers!

To this I can add that TMY is the 6th most sold car model in Norway YTD. Quite impressive since it did not start selling until August.

The TM3 is the model most sold this year - 9266 cars vs 4873 of the TMY.

VW loudly announced their goal for 2021 was for the ID.4 to become the most sold car this year. They are currently in 3rd with 6289 cars sold. The second place is held by the best selling fossil - Toyota's Rav4 at 7217 cars sold.

Hi Mod,

Are such postings not allowed b/c they can be misunderstood? My comment isn't about fixing all the world's problems.

This thread isn't just about the very short term, is it? I thought we merged the general and short term threads months ago.

I've been quite a long term investor, having put 98+% of my wealth and savings into TSLA since 2012. When I made this decision, we could start a discussion and not shut it down simply b/c the topic was a tiny-bit controversial or b/c Tesla was not perfectly addressing the thing being discussed.

Tesla plans to produce 20 millions autonomous vehicles annually by 20230, right? We know they also plan to make the cost per mile far cheaper than any currently existing mode of transport. So, transportation should become extremely affordable to a point where many people could subscribe to a robotaxi service and not care much about distance (time is not an issue anymore if you don't have to drive and spend the while trip on NetFlix or a PlayStation).

People will quickly move further out in the suburbs, en masse. And that is simply not sustainable b/c of the biodiversity catastrophe.

Are comments about climate change labeled as Off Topic in this thread? I don't think so, especially since space can be discussed at will (even though there is far less relationship between Tesla/TSLA and space than with the soon-to-be #1 global issue).

Please accept a little bit of controversy here to avoid losing substance for long term investors here. That being said, I'm OK with continuing such discussion elsewhere (e.g TSLA, biodiversity collapse & climate change) but if we can't create bridges with the main threads, the discussion cannot take place.

Edit: I just saw the latest warning Wiki - Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable, the page wasn't refreshed when I posted the above comment. My bad
You try to turn every thread and topic into a biodiversity conversation. Oil thread. This thread. I believe you've even PM'd me about biodiversity.

If you only talk about one topic 100% of the time, it's going to be off-topic 99% of the time.

That’s typically not how partnerships go when melding two different cultures - I’m referencing ‘smoothness’ of decisions, plans, movement towards goal, etc…

Indeed, partnerships tend to epically fail at some point...

As much as it would help ‘us’ for other companies and entrepreneurs to partner with Elon and his various companies, the truth to me seems to be that most are unwilling to risk everything for what’s important for all.
During my 45 year professional career I helped create, worked in or helped dismantle many joint ventures. Factually, more than 100, in many countries, at least a few on every permanently populated continent. None have been successful unless one side had absolute control and the other acted as a supplier or semi-passive investor.

Thus entities such as Airbus, Shell, SWIFT and the ones that have been structured to actually avoid governance issues by not really being quite JV's (e.g. Apple/Foxconn, Tesla/Panasonic) are not really exceptions to the rule. Even those have periodic crises that threaten their survival.

Frankly I think it would be quite plausible for Tesla to have relationships with OEM'S, public energy utilities, mining companies and others that could be durable and beneficial. For example, CATL seems quite close to that already. Probably there are a fair number of other suppliers and customers (mostly in TE, probably) already in that category. We will also see some emerging JV-like relationships with financial institutions including insurance companies.

As Tesla grows there will be more and more of those. It is not implausible for those to develop from Supercharger sharing, tier one suppliers beyond batteries (is LK/IDRA already there?) and more.
We don't really need to have the old-fashioned JV's to extract the benefits without enduring the pain.

Whether we like it or not the hugely complex supply chain issues are now being sources of conflict and outright business failures. Government policies play an outsized role in that (see UK today for reference). So too do business short-term thinking (see semiconductor crisis for reference).

Thus far Tesla has done a stellar job of developing and executing fast workarounds for such issues. That very fast reaction and manufacturing change to cope with unforeseen events distinguishes Tesla (and SpaceX) from nearly everyone else.

This quarter Tesla once again proven that it has manufacturing, design and process advantages oven nearly all competitors. Those would ahem been impossible if Tesla did not have very close connections with myriad outside entities. They don't call them JV's or anything like that.

Less us consider those things when we observe business volume and profit numbers from Tesla.

And the game of chicken continues. They want to drive the SP down so they can get cheaper shares. Someone's gonna pay....

I would hope no one here will be complaining when MM's drag the SP back up to max pain of $775 at the close. Amazing these guys can maneuver the SP around any way they like, load up, and then let it rip. Do we even have a regulatory body watching over this marketplace?

🤔 🤷‍♂️
pu46c4igj1n41.jpg

Eh, I'm not so sure they're wrong.

I think the problem is not the algorithm but prioritizing by top scores for beta access. That means you have to do what you have to do if you want the beta ASAP. Yellow light? Better to run it than to brake. Sharp curve? Better to cut across the yellow line to make it less sharp than take the "aggressive turning" hit. Get cut off? Better to brake gently and nearly rear-end than to brake hard at a safe distance. This is all "un-safe" but it's what it takes to get to the front of the list. And Elon said it's a surprisingly big list, so your place matters.
Lane departure warnings affect your score. You slow down before the curve. If you are "surprised" by a curve then you've already missed the point. No amount of creative cheating is going to help you if you drive around not paying attention to the world around you.

Lots of solutions on your list are likely to affect your score as much as the problem you are suggesting they solve.

The issue is not whether your topic can be misunderstood or is controversial, but whether it belongs here. An almost identical post by you was moved by mods to off topic galore a month ago. The message: it is considered off topic. One month later that has not changed.

Too many subjects which are only vaguely or not at all related to Tesla get dragged by the hair into the main thread. And one such post would not do much harm, the problem is the avalance of responses it provokes and which push the thread ever more off topic. Yes, people talk about SpaceX too, but what you do not know is that many SpaceX posts are moved or completely removed by mods for going off into the woods (Bezos anyone?). The same happens to many posts about climate change and a myriad of other subjects.

Nicely worded, I wouldn't be so nice. Multiple warnings, multiple periods of time, clearly off topic. At the risk of being OT myself, I think there is a value added point to make for these types of posts and others like them.

The posts in question were all delivered with precision, cordial, an out of concern speech. Fact is, I don't believe that's the reason it was continued because it fits the profile as someone trying to slow Tesla down - the very opposite of who they portray. Trying to bring another issue to Tesla dilutes mission focus which is still at risk. And yet I could be as wrong as a hiring manager profiling boy Elon and dismissing him because of his speech in the first 30 seconds.

OTOH, if for real, they have a mission, best wishes, understand. But after all the warnings, your true motives become suspect and you actually may be doing more harm to your cause when the reaction over time turns sour. Easily dismissed, irrelivent, poof! Please consider this if you really want to come back again in another month or so and still feel this is the place to help your cause. There are much better places for you to further your concerns. I wish Tesla could solve word hunger too.

And since this feedback is not my place nor job, this too could disappear. I understand, I just thought I'd share what many of us think vs what is said on the surface all too often. Keeping it 100 is all.

Also, I picked up 25 chairs just before writing this. Perfect timing!

Since we're on cusp of Q3 numbers.....If Tesla produces 250k or more, I swear to the heavens that anytime I see someone say "chip supply" or "parts supply" concerns I'm just going to call them a "nincompoop".......No context needed (This mostly applies to Twitter ;) )

Chip/Part Supply concern has become the new "demand" concern and believe it or not, it's actually more annoying than the "demand" concerns.

Every time someone's delivery date gets pushed back - Chip shortage

Every time the delivery estimates for new orders gets farther out - Chip shortage

Every time Fremont or Shanghai takes a day off - Chip shortage