Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

93 years ago this video is a match for your description, except for the contributions of capital to make it happen.

Of particular interest is the multipart cores at 5 minutes. Super complicated hollow cast structures. Hollow shapes have structural benefits.

Somehow trying to put this in a Gigapress :) Seems like the cycle time hit would be too much.

Might be able to make the motor housing part of the casting for the Model 2?
I’m delighted you showed this to the TMC members. You are off by a decade - it is 1937/8, not ‘27/8 - although that matters little.
At the 11:00 +/- mark, harken to something you’ve heard before: “making the machines that make the machines.” That was my favorite part of the film. Gus was, naturally enough, in awe of the rivers of molten metal.
Narrator Lowell Thomas: I knew his son L.T. Jr - Alaska’s first Lt Governor; and went to school with two of his kids, Annie & Dave - we were all on the ski team together.

Market makers don't like carrying positions overnight. That kind of a thing will usually gets the "rogue" employee fired.

It seems to me there was a lot of speculative buying who took profit quickly after P&D or call holders closing their positions.

When I say whales - I'm talking about long term holders. Upgrades also result in more long term holders, pushing the price up.
We've seen obvious MM shorting on a Friday carry over to a Mon/Tues unwind literally dozens of times in the last couple years. They're allowed to do it, and it's profitable to do it, so I assume they're doing it.

• In addition to Mr. Diaz, three other witnesses (all non-Tesla contract employees) testified at trial that they regularly heard racial slurs (including the n-word) on the Fremont factory floor. While they all agreed that the use of the n-word was not appropriate in the workplace, they also agreed that most of the time they thought the language was used in a “friendly” manner and usually by African-American colleagues. They also told the jury about racist graffiti in the bathrooms, which was removed by our janitorial staff;
  • There was no witness testimony or other evidence that anyone ever heard the n-word used toward Mr. Diaz.

That's walking a fine line.

The statement is very oddly worded and basically a tacit admission of guilt. I'm sure it'll get appealed and the actual fine paid might be 1-2% of the $137m.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: JustMe
We've seen obvious MM shorting on a Friday carry over to a Mon/Tues unwind literally dozens of times in the last couple years. They're allowed to do it, and it's profitable to do it, so I assume they're doing it.

just like in manufacturing, humans are underrated. the algos can’t to it all themselves. humans have to jump in and right the ship sometimes, but often after the algos ‘oversteer/understeer’ - of course this is in terms of pure market making, not trading, or ‘gaming’ the system.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Dig deeper
Other Italian friends did buy a 500e and were not pleased. I only suggest Hyunday Kona (as a long range car) and Renault Zoe (as a urban, main-but-not-for-long-trips car).
A 500e does 180 watt per km in summer, while a Kona does 125 Watt on average all year long. My Zoe is around 122.
This speaks volume about the battery technology.
Unfortunately Marchionne did botch the electric strategy at FIAT/FCA, they are years behind.
Between Hyundai and Fiat, I choose Fiat. OK, full disclosure:
I have owned and loved ten Italian cars, more or less, from Fiat, Lancia, Alfa Romeo, Maserati and Ferrari.
Emotionally they've been my favorites. One or two of them actually worked consistently.
Thus, my view of the 500e is how well performs in it's intended urban environment. There it works perfectly, at least in the Brazilian versions. It is not very efficient, but really does not need to be when a long trip might be 60km. Otherwise they are truly awful if one compares them to a Tesla, any Tesla.
Lastly price. My reference is costs in Brazil. 500e is the cheapest BEV here except for the lowest end of the JAC line (I suspect many TMC readers have never heard of JAC). The bottom Renault Zoe is the same price as the well-equipped 500e. The cheap Zoe does not even have a navigation system, nor does the bottom of the Hyundai line.

All of this is irrelevant to Tesla except in one respect. Once the China design emerges, all of these lower end BEV's will be ridiculously poor choices. Wherever they will be available they'll almost certainly dominate.
Thus, it is amusing for us to debate the merits of soon-to-be obsolete choices.

Of course I do believe some of those competitors will end out with compelling products.

Last edited by a moderator:
Other Italian friends did buy a 500e and were not pleased. I only suggest Hyunday Kona (as a long range car) and Renault Zoe (as a urban, main-but-not-for-long-trips car).
A 500e does 180 watt per km in summer, while a Kona does 125 Watt on average all year long. My Zoe is around 122.
Unfortunately Marchionne did botch the electric strategy at FIAT/FCA, they are years behind.
Is this becoming public knowledge? FCA relies on selling boatloads of Fiat 500e to prevent having to pool with Tesla in the EU. Bad sales of 500e (because of bad reputation) may force FCA to come back to Tesla for exhaust credits.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the structural pack doesn't have to go hand in hand with 4680 Cells............Tesla could be create a new 2170 pack that fits into the structural frame for the time being.

Also, you know it's going to make zero difference if you get a Y with 2170's or 4680's/structural pack right? Tesla is simply going to put less cells in the 4680 Model Y to match the exact specs of the current 2170 Model Y for the same price. There will be no difference to you.
I do not have enough education, and did not care about it until 4680's were announced but...
Don't 4680's have a higher energy/power output (and input?) than 2170's of an equal energy capacity due to their tabless design? So the consumer could not faster charging and higher acceleration and top end due to a redesign in software?

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Maybe they should just say they will bring to vote the recommendation to split 1 to 100, so they take care of any other need for a split for the next couple of decades. 😁
Wouldn't that just hand over money to the hedge funds and market makers for a couple of decades? Stock splits often but randomly timed would bet a better choice.

“Botch” is probably an understatement now lol…but I can tell you first hand his mentality unfortunately funnelled it’s way right down to the shop floor…way to lead by example Sergio :rolleyes:

I hope for the sake of my workmates they find a way to change and pull themselves up from where Sergio left us, but I honestly don’t intend to be around to find out :cool:

Lead the way Elon, lead the way.

(Mod-edited) something something California
I've been a bit reticent to wade into this as I know it's a pretty charged/emotional issue for many people. Moreover, I get that this board is not entirely balanced on attacks against TSLA. That said, IMO this is the kind of issue that many large companies face. To the extent it is not an ongoing circumstance (which by all appearances it is not) I'm content with letting the judicial system take its course and chalking it up as a cost of doing business. I have no personal knowledge about it and while I suspect a typical jury at this moment in time is likely to be highly biased against TSLA, it kinda "is what it is." As long as future liability for similar events is unlikely, there's nothing to be done. I very much expect the punitive damages award will likely be significantly reduced, but railing against the system isn't productive.

... I think Tesla would create a 2170 structural pack...

"Structural pack" means the battery-cell cans contribute to the car's structure, instead of being carried in a container that provides structural strength.

4680 cells will be epoxied together to form a very strong and rigid brick that doesn't need a strong container. Tesla can do this because tabless 4680 cells are cooled from their ends. Tesla can't do it with 2170 cells because they are cooled from their sides. So the 2170s must be carried in a pack "like a box of potatoes."

Another interesting fact, you could have bought GM in 70s and held it for 20 years and never made a dollar in capital gains. GM is a fraud wrapped in a wall st led push to bring in the suckers before it explodes into a massive fee generating bankruptcy. Who needs a profit when you are paid tens of millions to keep status quo
But what was the dividend yield over that time period? Doesn't make sense to look at only capital gains. A stock that stays at constant price but pays an x% dividend with a y% personal income tax rate has x(1-y) % return on capital.

Last edited:
I was feeling lucky this morning and put in an order at $777.77. I somehow managed to resist the FOMO when we popped into the $790's and just closed on my order. Sorry for the boring anecdote but us HODLers only have these small victories to point to as opposed to the options gamblers high stakes trades. Now back to our regularly scheduled forum...