Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't 4680's have a higher energy/power output (and input?) than 2170's of an equal energy capacity due to their tabless design? So the consumer could not faster charging and higher acceleration and top end due to a redesign in software?
The power of the cells is set by their chemistry, not their form factor. So the max charge power (the so-called C-rate determined by Tesla to not cause/accelerate degradation) will likely be the same as for the 2170s.
The tabless architecture improves the heat flow out of the cell. This means there’s a chance that temperature-limited processes — such as the charge rate past a certain SoC — have fewer constraints. In other words, the charging curve might stay flat up to a higher SoC, before other effects come into play. The end result would be shorter 10-80% charging times, for instance. And less temperature-dependent power limitation while driving.

Structurally, I think the only paradigm that can fix this is the block chain, where every transaction has instantaneous settlement, in real time. Today the buyers of stock have to, at settlement, come up with cash while the sellers of stock can, not only sell fictitious shares, but have an indeterminate time to deliver what they are selling. IMO, blockchain can solve the issue, but what are the chances that those with the golden goose will accede to the change?
MM's could easily be replaced by an algo with general purpose instructions and a large dose of randomness in both degree of action and timing. I know nothing about algos, but the semi-necessay job these clowns have by nature seems like it could be easily replaced.

Same with the Fed.

Last edited:
Daily Mail - today: Tesla Model 3 is Britain's top selling car: US tech firm sold record 6,879 electric vehicles in September... while petrol crisis gripped UK

Excerpt:

The electric Tesla Model 3 became Britain's top selling motor in September as the fuel crisis gripped the nations petrol pumps.

The Elon Musk-manufactured four-door car, that costs from £42,500, hit record sales of 6,879 in the UK last month, dwarfing Toyota or Volkswagen petrol rivals.
Except, of course, every Model 3 delivered in the UK in September was ordered way before the fuel shortage crisis was triggered. Not to mention that the UK sales are still dependent on how many vehicles Tesla can ship over from Shanghai, rather than how many customers it can get each quarter.

Structurally, I think the only paradigm that can fix this is the block chain, where every transaction has instantaneous settlement, in real time. Today the buyers of stock have to, at settlement, come up with cash while the sellers of stock can, not only sell fictitious shares, but have an indeterminate time to deliver what they are selling. IMO, blockchain can solve the issue, but what are the chances that those with the golden goose will accede to the change?

true

the street does talk a lot about blockchain too (for real time settlement). but like you, i believe that’s not happening anytime soon.

we’re talking about settlement systems, not trading. they have bright product people and software engineers perfectly capable of building enhanced settlement systems, but those people spend their time on trading software, order routing, etc.

one reason it’ll be a while before we witness such change is because what’s after the trade is a cost center. if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. but that’s quite shallow thinking.

but if we believe some gamesmanship is going on, than another reason is because the settlement system has to be transparent enough so that they (street participants) can all be on the same page (centralized reconciliation - continuous net settlement), but opaque enough to go unnoticed during SEC, FINRA and co audits, all while trying not to screw each other so badly that one finally breaks the code and cries wolf.

dtcc and nscc are talking about moving to T+1 as if that will solve all the worlds problems. t+3 from 5 didn’t do it. T+2 didn’t. T+1 won’t either. this is their volt to tesla’s M3. there will still be plenty of loopholes to skirt even with T+1, and interest income from stock borrow and loan to lose by shortening the cycle, let alone going to real time.

also a reason to consider, is that they’re only as fast as their slowest participant. just getting every firm to adopt new file formats and other inevitable fairly basic initiatives is a nightmare and takes years. something about not attributing to malice when it’s likely incompetence or something or other.

but, i have to think it’s a blend of all those reasons and probably more.

@TheTalkingMule
well, if you follow the OHLCV indicator, (a confirmatory money flow indicator) and it makes sense, which is questionable at the moment as i’m baffled.

of the 30.4 million shares traded monday, 65% sold at fractionally lower prices
and pushed the Accum/Dist line _down_ about 19.8 million

of the 18.4 million shares traded today, tuesday, 45% did the same, fractionally lower
and pushed the accum/dist line down another ~8 million

unless there is a severe error in my logic.

it’s like money is flowing out, yet it doesn’t seem to be real
Is this an example of “virtual shares” sold short? (FTD’s?)
(if today’s pattern repeats i have a hankering to DCA another 79 shares before thursday)
I'm not entirely sure since most of that is over my head, but I do find it hilarious your OHLCV post about MM's FTDing and your plan to DCA was flagged as Informative by poster UFC.

FU JPM!

He was a person who never, ever would have asked me for advice.
more info often better than less when important decisions are to be made

F9036DA9-EC21-47F1-9E92-CFA27995C8B6.jpeg

Last edited:
I think this is a fallacy of thinking a technological solution can fix a human problem, aka greed. Inevitably the policies surrounding the tech would morph it into the same boss. This is not a technological problem; the tools are all there to curb these abuses, it is the will that is lacking.

of the 30.4 million shares traded monday, 65% sold at fractionally lower prices
and pushed the Accum/Dist line _down_ about 19.8 million

of the 18.4 million shares traded today, tuesday, 45% did the same, fractionally lower
and pushed the accum/dist line down another ~8 million

unless there is a severe error in my logic.

it’s like money is flowing out, yet it doesn’t seem to be real
Is this an example of “virtual shares” sold short? (FTD’s?)
(if today’s pattern repeats i have a hankering to DCA another 79 shares before thursday)
What I see is the $40 OTM put expiring this Friday costs 4x the price of the $40 OTM calls. And today’s put volume had a big spike at 11:30 that coincided with steeper drop in stock price and greater volume, suggesting possible shorting by MM to hedge the puts sold.

One other data point is a YouTuber sold all his shares this morning at $795 that he bought recently at $600 due to concerns about the CCP and Tesla's exposure to China.

My guess is that bigger investors are buying puts as insurance while at the same time smaller investors are betting the earning will be fabulous by buying calls to gain when the funds starts to buy this week. End result is a slow climb of the IV throughout the day.

Link: Market Chameleon
Screenshot 2021-10-05 at 7.51.41 PM.png
20BC18AB-DEF6-4EEB-BBC3-9781537E888E.png

Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure since most of that is over my head, but I do find it hilarious your OHLCV post about MM's FTDing and your plan to DCA was flagged as Informative by poster UFC.

FU JPM!
the Accumulation/Distribution line/indicator seems to be a rough indicator of money flows.
it is a confirmatory indicator and not for trading. gives me an idea of is money flowing in out out overall
it uses the OHLCV open, high, low close to get an overall money flow and multiplies by volume, then sums to the previous day’s number.
it was pretty flat for a few years, then the Robin Hood conference occurred and a several hundred page power point presentation was given by Spiegal as to why Tesla will fail on about 11/30/2016 when it turned upwards sloping until around the S&P inclusion when it went essentially flat.
then around 8/6/2016 turned sloping gently upwards., possibly around the time the whale announced buying a few million shares and removing them from the float also.

the crazy thing, at least to me, is the last 2 days when almost 50 million shares traded, and the Accum/Declin line declined around 27 million, the stock price _should_ have gone down, but didn’t and i have no idea why not, since it should have declined, yet is kinda _up_ it’s like virtual shares were created and sold.

(please dear ghod, maker of bheer and other delectables like chocolate, announce a stock split, even a fractional one like 7:6 or something, anything and completely bollix the shorts, i will give full sized chocolate bars for halloween, this i promise this year, if you grant my wish (up to 200 full sized Dark chocolate Mounds bars )

more info often better than less when important decisions are to be made

View attachment 718249
I should not have released the floodgates for criticizing my former client. He not only had known Madoff for decades, but Madoff himself was a loyal client of his - he created and headed a data management company. Yes, he chose poorly - he was then beset with the disease that eventually overcame him, and his faculties were not what they had been. I never learned whether his wife, who also had a lifetime career in investment management (she'd trained under Dad), smelled the rat who was Madoff.
All that aside, why should anyone request investment advice from someone shedding Wall St and heading North To Alaska? I know I sure wouldn't!

I should not have released the floodgates for criticizing my former client. He not only had known Madoff for decades, but Madoff himself was a loyal client of his - he created and headed a data management company. Yes, he chose poorly - he was then beset with the disease that eventually overcame him in and his faculties were not what they had been. I never learned whether his wife, who also had a lifetime career in investment management (she'd trained under Dad), smelled the rat who was Madoff.
All that aside, why should anyone request investment advice from someone shedding Wall St and heading North To Alaska? I wouldn't!
Thank you for helping people learn.
My view is that if he still had money with you when you closed, he was a satisfied customer - sad to see you go.

I would ask as part of the "thank you" conversation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then how will you cool them? Where will the cooling tubes go?
There are no cooling tubes in the structural pack, (as far as we know) cells are cooled at the end, probably conductive through the pack case... there might be cooling fluid circulating somewhere....

Tabless cells should mean less resistance (shorter path) and hence less heat generated..

Watch the Battery Day video,....

There are no cooling tubes in the structural pack, (as far as we know) cells are cooled at the end, probably conductive through the pack case... there might be cooling fluid circulating somewhere....

Tabless cells should mean less resistance (shorter path) and hence less heat generated..

Watch the Battery Day video,....
I'm pretty sure they circulate coolant through some kind of channels/ tubes in the base of the battery packaging then runs the fluid through a radiator. There needs to be some fluid to pull away the heat. The fluid is also likely how they keep the temperature *up* when it's cold outside.