Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This post reflects conventional thinking which was true until the last decade. Now it is becoming different.
First the plan:
Then Lucid:
And Sabic is investing in renewables and batteries:
SASO is beginning:

So, please, put Saudi Arabia discussion in perspective. It is not, and has for years not been, the stereotype that is so very popular.
That is not in any way ignoring the old ways, the discussion of which is entirely off topic.
The most momentous demonstration of change that helps advance the BEV agenda was the granting of driving licenses for females. That is often ridiculed but that understates what is actually happening.

Full disclosure: I lived and worked in Iran, the UAE, Bahrain and Yemen and working also in/regarding Kuwait, Lebanon, Syria, Egypt, Greece, Cyprus and Israel. I worked with and had close relations with Iraqis, but never worked in Iraq. I worked for years with Saudi officials and businesses as well as Saudi investors in enterprise that I ran. To the extent that I understand what is happening in the region or in Saudi I am acutely aware that I am definitely not an expert. However I am cognizant of social and religious developments and their influences on economic policy.

My considered opinion is: Beware broad generalizations. They are invariably too superficial, often wrong. Privately I have discussed some of these issues with TMC members. I will not repeat those here because they can be seriously misunderstood. For obvious clues check the country list above.

No doubt that Saudi Arabia is positioning themselves for a modern world with sustainable energy. And yet they will still earn trillions of dollars from oil sales before they pump the last barrel. Nothing you said convinced me they don't want as much of that market as possible. And one way to further that goal is to cause the many smaller producers enough pain that they exit the market sooner, rather than later.

@lafrisbee

As I theorized earlier this week based on Options volume, a "Put Wall" has formed at the $790 Strike Price for contracts expiring today:

View attachment 719085

From the MMs point-of-view, an advantageous Closing SP today would likely fall somewhere between $790 and $795.

Any higher than 795, and MMs would have to pay off on a surplus of 2K Call contracts, while any SP lower than 790 and they would have to pay off on 7.3K Put contracts. Obviously, more urgent to keep the price above 790 than below 795, but above 800 would be resisted strongly (16K surplus in Calls vs Puts).

In my view, this creates the motivation for MMs to attempt to hold the SP to between $790 and $795 today. Note that there were 844K Open options contracts as of 7:00 a.m. today. Of course news or events can intervene in the Market, as always.

EDIT: Resistance at $795 in the Pre-Market:

View attachment 719086

Not Advice. GLTA!

Cheers to the Longs!
and this country boy who can't even figure out how to look at those number charts can look at the two line graphs on max-pain.com (where the red and green lines peak and leave the most losers of calls and of puts on each side.) and see something around there is where it'll be. And it gets further validated by the line graph at the bottom (where the red and the green even out at the lowest point).
I'd like to be able to see a number,your number. Not the 'advertised" maxPain number.

Not sure if this is posted or not...

About the end of last year, the stock had gone crazy, s&p inclusion was a given, Dr. Mike Burry of shortsville fame (and not an idiot) said very publicly that Tesla was way over valued and for EM to grab cash while getting was good. EM grabbed some cash. Shortly thereafter he announced he was shorting.

It was very good of him not to announce he was shorting before he told EM to grab some cash. Basically super super low cost funds for Tesla. He could have done very well if he cashed out on some of those positions, he shorted at the high and it fell a few hundred from when he shorted. Not sure where he is today, short interest is pretty low and that man is not an idiot so I wonder if he cashed out of most of the positions? MB is not GJ.
Burry was saying that stuff in december well before the 900 SP. Stock price was 562 on December 2. SP dropped to 560 this year. A whopping $2. He’s not *that* smart. Now maybe he added more to his position at higher levels. But he was no genius during his announcement.

Elon will be in Austin.

Is that near Starbase? ;) 'cuz that's where Elon's gonna spend his time. I mean, before he flies to Mars (but he says he's not in a hurry to go).

No matter. With a Starlink connection, Musk Industries is a virtual world-wide office now. I don't even think Elon has a desk.

I'd be much happier to see Elon in that electric VTOL jet AFTER it's beta testing is finished though...

Cheers!

out of curiosity, as a european customer on ibkr platform, can you buy a fractional qty of TSLA us listed stock? (forgive assumption, but it says you’re in Germany!)
According to Fractional Shares Trading Interactive Brokers LLC you can enable it for every stock registered with the SEC. But it incurs small fees.

I don't use it, but they tried to advertise it to me ;)

"They" are likely going to fight $790 vigorously this morning. Hopefully, they lose.

Lots of manipulation around the Annual Meeting speculation and then the twisting of what "did not happen." Not sure why so much weight was put into speculation around the Annual Meeting. Annual meetings are usually, as this one was, snooze-fests. October 20th, stating the obvious, will be much more important. Should be an interesting week-and-a-half or so leading up to the earnings call!

Roller ends mark the sheet. Rollers should be wider than the sheet so that the markings at the edge are trimmed off (to be recycled) and do not go into the final product.

Generally to increase roller width (and thereby sheet width) the roller diameter also needs to increase, so that the roller becomes stiff enough that the contact pressure (and roller deflection) can be maintained evenly across the entire sheet width. Other things also need to change simultaneously to achieve this, such as camber and surface hardness and roller wall thickness and maybe other stuff.
Have they considered that sheet width is (likely) just for economy scale. The location of the seams are deterministic. A small diameter roller with back pressure applied where the seams are will produce the film quality at the cost of a complicated slitting process that produces scrap.

TBH, many people can't afford a new car at all, they'll have to wait for used EVs.

And good used EV's are commanding higher prices now than used ICE cars. Due to the lower cost of ownership, that is not expected to change anytime soon.

The way this will play out is that the last ICE drivers will be the poorest motorists who can only afford the purchase price of unwanted ICE cars while being least able to afford the ownership costs associated with an ICE vehicle. And of course those who own ICE classics and can afford to take them out for a Sunday drive. But I'll suggest some of the shine will be removed from driving those polluting beasts in a modern world. Many will get converted to EV.

One of the less mentioned casualties of the current disruption will be the many gas stations, both independents and large chains, that depend upon a constant stream of people buying beer, wine, cigarettes and snacks. With drivers doing 95% of their charging at home or work, this market will shrink by 50% VERY quickly.

This week’s stock performance has been disappointing so far, to say the least. NASDAQ up 2.5%, TSLA down 1.2%, I thought we’d finally crack $800 after huge P&D beat and yesterday’s confident Elon stating “Tesla will grow 50+% for years to come” and at the same time “lowering prices while increasing margin”.

Is Wall Street really that stupid?

Management will move where Elon is. Elon will be in Austin.
Hasnt he basically already been living in Austin. He doesnt need to live where the HQ is registered.

EDIT: Also I guess my post that included some light political stuff was deleted. Funny since we know the move of HQ from CA to TX was in many ways was for political reasons.

So adding this back without my political thoughts.

Texas will gain dozens of jobs. This is going to be similar to Boeing move from Washington State to Chicago. Now 20 years later Boeing employees 500 people in Chicago and 70,000 in Washington State. Tesla will tell few people to move from Palo Alto to Austin. Tesla people that wanted to move to Austin with few exceptions would have already been allowed to move to Austin even before the decision to move HQ registration to Austin.

Last edited:
This week’s stock performance has been disappointing so far, to say the least. NASDAQ up 2.5%, TSLA down 1.2%, I thought we’d finally crack $800 after huge P&D beat and yesterday’s confident Elon stating “Tesla will grow 50+% for years to come” and at the same time “lowering prices while increasing margin”.

Let me put it this way: GM and F are both making 3-5 year highs while revenue has been significantly trending down, even since before COVID. Yes, the market is THAT stupid.

My conclusion is they believe their own limited analyses more than the words of CEOs, which is generally probably an appropriate approach, but in the case of Tesla/Musk NOT.

Shocked to see that question from you! WS is not there to be smart or stupid but to make money. They don't care. They use all at their disposal to make money.