Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why not.Following Booker T Washington and George Washington Carver is not a bad idea.
Exactly what might be done there is a different question, but it makes sense to me.
You were supposed to respond "Why would anyone ever want to look at real estate in Paxson AK?":eek:

The average efficiency over an EPA drive cycle would be the relevant metric for understanding how much potential efficiency improvement is possible. I'm guessing it's probably around 95-96% for EPA Hwy and maybe 93-94% for EPA City . Anyone know?
I don't know but my thinking is that efficiency and thus range matters most at highway speeds. Assuming the motor/inverter are optimized for maximum range that would shape the motor curve for peak efficiency around average highway speeds.

Right...it was because it went crazy. He was telling Elon to cash in at 560. He announced his shorts a month later (if I recall correctly and I might be wrong). 800s would be the price if I recall. A difference of $200 and that's real money.

I think Burry is actual just as smart as he thinks he is. He's very similar to Elon actually. He calls it like he sees it and with Tesla he doesn't see the valuation being given and he could be wrong or he could be right but the key point for any smart investor is not dismissing a contrary voice just because they are contrary. He's won multiple times, he has an ability to see issues and call them out. Maybe that's not "intelligence" and maybe it is just uncompromising honesty. Don't discount him, he's no GJ. You have to remember, he wants Tesla to succeed. He likes Tesla and the mission, he thinks the pricing was incorrect.

i have 0 respect for him (i didn’t mind him beforehand - not that i matter anyway)

there’s plenty of companies that are completely full of it, he could’ve taken any pick of the litter. he went up against em and tesla instead. even if he’s right, temporarily, about share price…he should’ve known better. he has every right to bet what he wants, but we don’t have to sit silently and pretend he’s some hero either. he’s not.

if i had to bet, i’d say it’s some ego complex he has against elon underneath all this.but why bother trying to validate him in the first place? he’ll go down as just another naysayer in the grand scheme.

This shows historic quarter by quarter volume differences for Tesla. For those who like to predict the future, based on proportional contribution of the 4th quarter, there is enough data/direction to do that.

1633709953809.png

If FSD pans out, and automotive gross margins stay above 25%, then Tesla themselves can buy 1 out of every 4 Models Y produced to add to the Tesla Robotaxi fleet.

FSD opens up the whole world as a sink for buying up Tesla cars, especially in regions that can't afford them!. :D
I don't know why people talk about this happening. None of the current fleet are suited for Robotaxi. Robotaxi will be purpose built, and surely the first factory will be sized for a 2 million production rate. It will have a single powered side opening door, non operating windows, no rider operable controls and a fixed environmental control state. A battery pack half the current minimum size and initial cost of below $15k USD.
For the initial Urban positioning, anything more is uselessly excessive.
It will be nothing like current human controlled vehicles.

I'm currently acheiving 222 Whr/mi in the new Model S refresh. That in itself is pretty amazing considering the Model S is heavier and bigger.
That is remarkable. If that is indicative of a 20 to 30% improvement in efficiency of the drivetrain, that would impact revenues as the efficiencies should hit all other models.

đź‘€

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time that Elon has explicitly indicated he likes the idea of a X holding company, and if you look at the context of the original tweet, it's referring to SpaceX valuation.

Here is a question regarding the theoretical "Company X":

If Elon were to create an umbrella X Inc. which included all of his companies under one banner (Tesla, Boring, Space X, Neuralink), how would TSLA shareholders be handled? Is it a 1 TSLA = 1 X transition, or is it handled by company valuations and then fractional shares of X would be distributed to TSLA shareholders accordingly?

I don't know but my thinking is that efficiency and thus range matters most at highway speeds. Assuming the motor/inverter are optimized for maximum range that would shape the motor curve for peak efficiency around average highway speeds.

Highway efficiency isn't a static state. There are hills, headwinds, tailwinds and small changes in speed, all of which can add up to large changes in required torque over various rpms. So while it makes sense the drivetrain is largely optimized for highway range, there are still tradeoffs to be had and real world highway motor efficiency will never be equal to peak motor efficiency even if the system is designed to hit peak efficiency on the highway.

Also, the motor is optimized via hardware since design changes have large effects on the efficiency rpm/torque curves while the inverter uses software to optimize for peak efficiency through the range of the torque/rpm range with efficiency gains in one area of the torque/rpm curves not impacting efficiency in unrelated areas of the torque/rpm curves. It would be interesting to know the real world EPA motor efficiency average because, from that, we could estimate how much potential efficiency improvements there are to be had. My guess is not more than about 2-3% but I would like more certainty.

Last edited:
Reactions: jerry33
Maybe a bit OT but I know that all of you are successful in your fields and maybe have some ideas for me.
I work as much as I possibly can (~110-115 hours a week) and invest everything I can into TSLA. Ever since my investing portfolio surpassed the multimillion dollar mark, I moved my goal to 8 figures. I can’t for the life of me, figure out how to get there though. Anyone have any ideas? Real estate and owning a business are the only other things I can think of at this point. But I’m not so sure about either of those.
I know it’s not all about money, and I’m so so grateful for everything I have, but I think…”if so many people in the world figured out how to achieve 8 figures within a few years, maybe I can too.”

Maybe a bit OT but I know that all of you are successful in your fields and maybe have some ideas for me.
I work as much as I possibly can (~110-115 hours a week) and invest everything I can into TSLA. Ever since my investing portfolio surpassed the multimillion dollar mark, I moved my goal to 8 figures. I can’t for the life of me, figure out how to get there though. Anyone have any ideas? Real estate and owning a business are the only other things I can think of at this point. But I’m not so sure about either of those.
I know it’s not all about money, and I’m so so grateful for everything I have, but I think…”if so many people in the world figured out how to achieve 8 figures within a few years, maybe I can too.”
Visit us in "the other" thread ;)
Options can work magic in terms of return with controlled risk.

I remember when Models S, X, 3 and Y first came to Canada. I would give my kids a dollar if they could spot a Tesla before me, so they were always on the lookout. Travelling the 400 series highways outside of Toronto today there were six Teslas (one S, two X, two 3 (including ours) and one Y, all travelling in the same direction within 50 metres of us. Tesla outselling BMW? You betcha. I'd go broke paying that Tesla spotting game now. I have it on record with the fam that whoever is first to spot a Cybertruck in the wild earns $100. It will be worth it.

If you have a multi-million dollar position in TSLA, one likely option is probably just to hold and wait. Also objectively not many people in the world have figured out how to achieve 8 figures within a few years.