Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He was investing in water, why didn't he invest in Apple while everyone was buying homes? He was 2 years early on the housing thing. If he'd bought options on Apple he'd have done better than shorting the housing market.

There are literally hundreds of incredible buys out there. The key point is that he was not part of TelsaQ. He was not shorting Tesla when it was at 250 (pre split). I'd suggest reading up on him though. His continued concern re the pricing of Cathy Woods ARK is, to me, one of the biggest points an investor needs to understand if they are really going all in on Tesla.
This is how I see how many of ARK's picks has AMC level of fluff in their valuation.

Ark was the most bullish on Tesla when the stock was extremely out of style. After Cathie's bullish call, we saw that tsla did nothing but tank to 5 year lows, dragging her entire ETF down, and some saved only by genomics. NO ONE cared about their picks as everyone see Cathie as a crazy person who loves to pick losers.

After Tesla's 15x increase, people see Cathie as a stock picking God. Everything ARK buys, the rest of the retail investors flock to. Valuation is not a concern for these dumb investors because they see anything Cathie pick as the next Tesla. This is how stocks like Nano Dimensions went to 16 bucks based on nothing but hopes and prayers. My friend bought in because "well ARK bought it so they see something in it you don't " after I was telling him how their revenue dropped 95% the past 5 years and they were convicted of money laundering. But he was one of those sheep's who bought it at 10, 12, 16..at any price. Now that it's sitting at 5 dollars, I don't see him buying anymore after telling me he would go all in at every pullback.

So yeah lots of fluff from Ark's picks because retail investors are apes strong together.

I think of ARK like a venture capital fund. Venture capitalists will invest in 20 (usually more) things they have reason to believe might explode. If one does well, they're good. If 2 or 3 do well, you're golden. 17 will crash and burn. That's ok, because the 2 or 3 more than make up for it. I don't expect Cathie to be right every time. I hope she's right on 2 or 3 companies.

So what does "Rumba Zumba" mean in German? .... "Roomba Zoomba "
EM got some laughs when he said that

Rambazamba. A wild, unrestrained party. Something you‘d want to keeps your daughters away.
As they say, a little knowledge can be quite dangerous.
That's why I don't fly rockets.
Anymore.

I don’t hold that much $TSLA, but thanks to this company and this forum:
D71612F0-4DF2-4237-AB11-75A292D9082E.jpeg

Boat is a bit of a project, and I briefly considered naming it “$TSLAQ Cloud” since they helped pay for it, but I eventually plan to go with electric power/regen/solar and take off across the Pacific.
Ok.. Who here bought this new Superyacht named TSLA? 🤑

View attachment 719810

Tesla surpasses BMW 3 Series, Audi A4 and Mercedes C-Class for the first time​

English translation:

Tesla surpasses BMW 3 Series, Audi A4 and Mercedes C-Class for the first time​

English translation:
That triggered ad-blocking in Brave for me. But I can view the original German article:

That's a good summary, sort of magnifies my concerns re ARK. I have read the ARK thesis on Tesla everytime it is updated and I still don't think they get it right. I'm a huge fan of Tesla mission and I think that Tesla is uniquely poised to be the most valuable company in the history of earth. All that said, MB is no idiot and I've never known him to be flat footed wrong. So, he's having concerns and that's worth noting even if the thesis of Tesla does not change.
The counter argument to MB to me is:

FSD compliments EVs that are designed around a centralized computer. Tesla is the only company that seems to have a chance to deliver on both. Once that is done robotaxis become not just a talking point but a product. Once that is done there won't be nearly as much global demand for vehicles, maybe 1/2? Maybe less. So by then Tesla may effectively pull off on of the greatest feats in all modern economic history by killing vehicle manufacturing and turning it from a capital goods to software. The capital goods portion counting for less and less and the software systems controlling everything. In a coup de grace Tesla will be able to utilize huge amounts of stranded EV battery capacity for energy capture having a fleet of production capabilities and the software that virtualizes power plants from various points of power distribution and storage. I think all this happens around 2030 and the disruption will be epic. It could effectively bankrupt much of corporate Japan and some of Germany. China seems to be playing a good hand. In the US I see only Ford moving intelligently but oh so slowly. VW makes lots of noise but they have social/political issues in shuttering a hundred factories. They have no silicon experience, they have outsourced software to the worst place in the world. They needed to have built 10x the battery capacity 3 years ago..they have issues on issues but shuttering 100 factories is probably the largest. GM- far too little too late and all talk too little build and what they build is so stupid- pouch batteries. So stupid. They seriously planned to offer competitive cars with pouch format batteries. Any casual critical observer should have said WTF? Wall St is clueless.

So to me the TSLA argument is very high level and forward looking - 8 years out I expect Tesla to be the cause of bankruptcies. Tesla and only Tesla is combining AI and manufacturing. Tesla and only Tesla is preparing for a world with significantly fewer auto's and lots of stranded battery capacity. Not sure what's that worth and if I'm an investor I would not really care. It will be worth billion and billions in profits. It could dwarf anything known. But then I'm a forester, trees take decades to grow. I'm comfortable and if I were to be growing a tesla I'd be looking at decades.

I think of ARK like a venture capital fund. Venture capitalists will invest in 20 (usually more) things they have reason to believe might explode. If one does well, they're good. If 2 or 3 do well, you're golden. 17 will crash and burn. That's ok, because the 2 or 3 more than make up for it. I don't expect Cathie to be right every time. I hope she's right on 2 or 3 companies.
I think someone should do a case study on Tsla and the disturbance it has caused that rippled through the entire market. There has never been such a high profile company that increased so much and so fast in its marketcap in the history of Wall Street. This single phenomenon has made people's careers(check youtube subs), made analysts into clowns, gave fraudulent companies credibility, and drove the entire market to ATH and then crashed it too because of all the nonsensical search for the next Tesla.

Many companies x10 every year. But those are hidden microcap companies no one heard about so therefore it caused zero drama in the market.

Regarding emplacing the seats atop the battery pack as shown :

can it likewise not also be so fundamentally easier/quicker/more efficient to pre-attach the entire dashboard, obviously also including the steering wheel or yoke - even down the steering shaft to some appropriate point - to the (inverted on assembly line, perhaps?) cabin/shell/superstructure?

That's a good summary, sort of magnifies my concerns re ARK. I have read the ARK thesis on Tesla everytime it is updated and I still don't think they get it right. I'm a huge fan of Tesla mission and I think that Tesla is uniquely poised to be the most valuable company in the history of earth. All that said, MB is no idiot and I've never known him to be flat footed wrong. So, he's having concerns and that's worth noting even if the thesis of Tesla does not change.
The counter argument to MB to me is:

FSD compliments EVs that are designed around a centralized computer. Tesla is the only company that seems to have a chance to deliver on both. Once that is done robotaxis become not just a talking point but a product. Once that is done there won't be nearly as much global demand for vehicles, maybe 1/2? Maybe less. So by then Tesla may effectively pull off on of the greatest feats in all modern economic history by killing vehicle manufacturing and turning it from a capital goods to software. The capital goods portion counting for less and less and the software systems controlling everything. In a coup de grace Tesla will be able to utilize huge amounts of stranded EV battery capacity for energy capture having a fleet of production capabilities and the software that virtualizes power plants from various points of power distribution and storage. I think all this happens around 2030 and the disruption will be epic. It could effectively bankrupt much of corporate Japan and some of Germany. China seems to be playing a good hand. In the US I see only Ford moving intelligently but oh so slowly. VW makes lots of noise but they have social/political issues in shuttering a hundred factories. They have no silicon experience, they have outsourced software to the worst place in the world. They needed to have built 10x the battery capacity 3 years ago..they have issues on issues but shuttering 100 factories is probably the largest. GM- far too little too late and all talk too little build and what they build is so stupid- pouch batteries. So stupid. They seriously planned to offer competitive cars with pouch format batteries. Any casual critical observer should have said WTF? Wall St is clueless.

So to me the TSLA argument is very high level and forward looking - 8 years out I expect Tesla to be the cause of bankruptcies. Tesla and only Tesla is combining AI and manufacturing. Tesla and only Tesla is preparing for a world with significantly fewer auto's and lots of stranded battery capacity. Not sure what's that worth and if I'm an investor I would not really care. It will be worth billion and billions in profits. It could dwarf anything known. But then I'm a forester, trees take decades to grow. I'm comfortable and if I were to be growing a tesla I'd be looking at decades.
I think MB should focus his shorting efforts on the individual companies ARK picks vs the entire ETF. As long as ARK has credibility, they have first mover advantage and will most likely not lose money. They bought nano at 4 dollars, even with the hype plus crash they are still up.

Maybe a bit OT but I know that all of you are successful in your fields and maybe have some ideas for me.
I work as much as I possibly can (~110-115 hours a week) and invest everything I can into TSLA. Ever since my investing portfolio surpassed the multimillion dollar mark, I moved my goal to 8 figures. I can’t for the life of me, figure out how to get there though. Anyone have any ideas? Real estate and owning a business are the only other things I can think of at this point. But I’m not so sure about either of those.
I know it’s not all about money, and I’m so so grateful for everything I have, but I think…”if so many people in the world figured out how to achieve 8 figures within a few years, maybe I can too.”
Well, there is the "other" thread...

Clearly inspired by Elon / Tesla; the Mercedes Electric Semi to hit production with a 420kwh battery.

TL; DR: "
Mercedes-Benz has officially begun (on October 7, 2021) series production of its first battery-electric truck, the Mercedes-Benz eActros, envisioned for heavy-duty distribution. The 420 kWh battery should offer a range of up to about 400 km (250 miles)."

Clearly inspired by Elon / Tesla; the Mercedes Electric Semi to hit production with a 420kwh battery.

"The 420 kWh battery should offer a range of up to about 400 km (250 miles)."

TL: DR: "
Mercedes-Benz has officially begun (on October 7, 2021) series production of its first battery-electric truck, the Mercedes-Benz eActros, envisioned for heavy-duty distribution."
There’s that number again :oops:🪴🔥

Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend. Lots of interesting tidbits of information revealed in the last 72 hours. I’m as bullish as ever looking into 2022 and beyond.

Regarding emplacing the seats atop the battery pack as shown :

can it likewise not also be so fundamentally easier/quicker/more efficient to pre-attach the entire dashboard, obviously also including the steering wheel or yoke - even down the steering shaft to some appropriate point - to the (inverted on assembly line, perhaps?) cabin/shell/superstructure?
Maybe for safety reasons: the whole front end, including dashboard and steering column are part of the crush zone - they need to be able to deform + - to absorb shocks. Seat (including passenger) and power pack are core areas to be protected.

[armchair engineering thoughts - post guessing why Tesla does what it does is fun tho]

Maybe for safety reasons: the whole front end, including dashboard and steering column are part of the crush zone - they need to be able to deform + - to absorb shocks. Seat (including passenger) and power pack are core areas to be protected.

[armchair engineering thoughts - post guessing why Tesla does what it does is fun tho]
I like the thought -- anchored to the most stable, heavy and fixed part of the car. Anything else may crumble, not the chair.

Reactions: UkNorthampton