Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are willing to sell in units of 100, consider writing call a option instead of selling with a sell order wall, so you can keep the premium if it doesnt hit it. This of course works best with a relatively close to current price and shorter time horizon if you really want to sell and better with a higher target that is less likely to be reached if you don't really want to sell yet.
I got seriously burnt with covered calls in 2020. I think it is lower risk just to sell a few shares when the price is favorable. I can easily change my mind about the wall, and just hold onto shares. But when you've got a covered call and you see it going seriously into the money, you want out, but it can be very costly to close early to save your shares. Elevation in implied volatility can really make you pay through the nose to close your call. So it took me awhile to come to the realization that it is better simply to cash in a few shares at a time and price of my own choosing.

In very early 2013 I bought a Model S for cash at $100,000 and I bought $170,000 of TSLA during the year of 2013 (I still have most of it). That Model S was the most expensive car ever! Had I bought stock with that $100k it would be worth something like $8,800,000. That's one very expensive Model S!
I bought my first Model S in Q2 2015. I do not regret it, nor do I worry about how much gain in Tesla shares I may have missed out on. Rather, I believe it was because of that car and other Tesla purchases that I was able to find the conviction to keep accumulating shares through every bear run. In the long run, this has paired off. Would I have been able to avoid the temptation to sell off my Tesla position had I never bought the car? Hard to say.

Just to be clear I am suffering with a lesser vehicle but it is an EV, I got rid of gas before I went all in on TSLA.

My math was a sub $10,000 used Leaf + $40,000 into TSLA is a better value than $50,000 into a Tesla. It leaves me driving a worse car but I think it'll be worth it later when I pull the trigger with the gains.

I get some free juice at work, charge at 10 cents per kWh at home, so my cost per mile is under 2 cents. All in the name of investing for a better retirement.

That's the pro financial move right there, with the only downside being that you're deferring some aspect of happiness in relating to Tesla ownership. There's no guarantee in life or *of* life, but planning for the future is important. As always there's a balance and you're the arbiter of that. My Dad died at 56 (three years older than I am now) so that affects my perception of time and how much future I might presume to have.

Renting a Tesla in 2018 is what convinced me that this amazing vehicle is from the future, and I need to invest now. Tesla was my first-ever investment, but I didn't have free capital until 2020 despite giving others some tips about my predictions.

For my part, no regrets here either. I had the Tesla buying experience and owned a rare unicorn P3D- for about a year. I experienced Tesla's superior engineering first hand and in my 'dream' trim. Once COVID hit, I became a permanent work-from-home employee like so many others around the world and sold my car at the height of the hot seller's market for used Teslas (given the waiting list). I invested nearly all of that capital back into TSLA.

It did cost me money. What I gained was Tesla ownership during my early 50s and before I got hit with vertigo (still working on cause/cure). I was able to convince my girlfriend to buy a Tesla (vs. luxury ICE vehicles) because of my Tesla ownership. Got her to invest in TSLA too.

The funny thing is that after all that I'm still driving her Tesla because she lets me drive hers, but my 'not advice' for her to buy TSLA is making her money and likely will for the foreseeable future.

There's always some cost/benefit with these decisions and I enjoy reading the plurality of experiences from various forum members. :)

Last edited:
I keep seeing that Manchin is a "bought" Senator in the tradition of the U.S.
The fact that Exxon has actually crowed about having weekly access to him
is a dead giveaway.

What I don't understand is if Senators have to be purchased, why isn't there
some opposite billionaire who respects the green way (say Elon Musk or Tim Cook)
who can outbid Exxon or the Koch brothers. Just say Joe, how much do you get from
the dark side? (Probably low tens of millions).

Then outbid that, for the sake of the planet.
His constituency is coal miners and related industries. You can buy him by giving them green jobs.

• Helpful
Reactions: SPadival
The time to produce a model 3 I believe shocked the industry. They didn't expect Tesla to be printing cars significantly faster than toyota. But that's what happened when the guy runs the other company that prints a raptor engine every 48h.

The time it takes to make a car directly correlates to profit margin. Car manufacturers are very high revenue companies. Volkswagen made 20 billion dollars more than Apple in 2019 from a revenue standpoint. So if there's a way to print cars at 3-5x the speed, car manufactures can get tech or beyond valuations overnight. I believe this is what is getting the sp to rise. Big guns are changing the way they see Tesla as its a tech manufacturing company 2.0. The production line IS the tech.
Total flow time also directly correlates to working capital efficiency. The less time, on average, between purchasing from suppliers and delivering to the customer, the less capital needs to be sunk into inventory of work in progress. All else equal, shorter flow time --> larger ROIC.

His constituency is coal miners and related industries. You can buy him by giving them green jobs.
It is a challenge because West Virginia also has very low insolation. Also, West Virginia has a lot of natural gas, so you have to count those industries as well. And the related chemical industry.

Honestly, I wonder why people think that Manchin was going to vote any differently. But if you want to change his vote, you need to plan a large budget.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Duffer and 22522
Divesting and merging are likely off the table, so what’s a CEO got to fall back on in tough times but a new "initiative." 😝

Actually, I wish Diess and VW well and hope they make it through their transition to BEV’s. I’m more optimistic for them than any of the other legacy automakers. Er, go VW!

(Rest assured, that‘s not to say I’ll be parting with my TSLA shares or buying anything but Tesla vehicles in the future. 😉 )
I wish VW would go bankrupt. GM and VW and Toyota are the worst of the worst. The three that need to fail. Of course that is not financial related. Just personal animus for their efforts at destroying the earth.

The perks of creating a dummy LinkedIn account and stalking following a bunch of Tesla peeps
BA2626E6-19F2-46B9-A335-48970290527D.jpeg5B502218-F7D3-4406-A797-983E7371F43E.jpegD373FDCE-6BFE-4897-9A11-9A29F33C8463.jpeg

I keep seeing that Manchin is a "bought" Senator in the tradition of the U.S.
The fact that Exxon has actually crowed about having weekly access to him
is a dead giveaway.

What I don't understand is if Senators have to be purchased, why isn't there
some opposite billionaire who respects the green way (say Elon Musk or Tim Cook)
who can outbid Exxon or the Koch brothers. Just say Joe, how much do you get from
the dark side? (Probably low tens of millions).

Then outbid that, for the sake of the planet.
Probably about as easy as leaving the Mafia Family. His current owners have some power over him no doubt.

• Love
Reactions: Duffer and SOULPEDL
Just to be clear I am suffering with a lesser vehicle but it is an EV, I got rid of gas before I went all in on TSLA.

My math was a sub $10,000 used Leaf + $40,000 into TSLA is a better value than $50,000 into a Tesla. It leaves me driving a worse car but I think it'll be worth it later when I pull the trigger with the gains.

I get some free juice at work, charge at 10 cents per kWh at home, so my cost per mile is under 2 cents. All in the name of investing for a better retirement.
Just be thankful that all the people buying Tesla's over the years didn't take your approach!

I'm going to have to figure out how to actually treat some quantity of my shares as sellable. I haven't figured out how to do this. I keep buying shares, often with liquid funds with the thought that it's better than 0.0000001% interest, but I can never convince myself to sell because it's always going higher any day now and selling today would be a bad decision in xx months or years. It's probably related to some shares I sold in 2013 & 2014 that I need to just get over...

Perfect example is as I look over my numbers for ordering a MY, I want to put $12K down to get the monthly where I want it, but then think "I'd be much better off buying TSLA with that $12k and paying Tesla 2.5% on it". But, I realize once I buy those shares, I'd inevitably consider them core, HODL, and not see the money again (for years)...
Figure out the price you would be willing to part with for some of your shares. Go out to the farthest options available and sell covered calls at that price. Hopefully that is enough money for your needs at this time. If the stock price hits your target then be serene with this decision that you made. If it never gets there it’s free money.

In light of the buy Tesla vs. cheaper EV + TSLA debate, I want to offer an alternative idea that boosts today's happiness and frees up even more cash for buying into the lucrative future of TSLA.

The almighty Bicycle.

iu

Advantages:
  • 2 orders of magnitude less expensive, enough to buy dozens of TSLA shares
  • Outdoor exercise
  • Better health, clearer more energetic mind for Tesla analysis and for earning more income to buy moar TSLA
  • Even lower environmental footprint
  • Can hop curbs, climb stairs and take scenic shortcuts
  • Easy to park
  • No visits to slow government registration offices
  • Still works in aftermath of most natural disasters
  • Sends a middle finger to insurance companies and car dealerships
  • Fits in elevators
  • Can be hurled at enemies in a confrontation
Biking won't work for every trip for every person, but rolling around in muscle-powered aluminum chariots for 5 years now is the single biggest reason I was able to pour so much of my income into TSLA since 2019. Sometimes the best part is no part, and sometimes the best car is no car.

Last edited:
I'm there with you. I could have bought a Model 3 in 2018, or 2019, or 2020, or 2021. But that 2018 model 3 would have been $50,000 then and missing out on a 12x gain since then, something north of a half million dollar model 3 if I had bought it instead of TSLA.

And this isn't a what if, I literally went all in on TSLA instead of buying a car.

I'm literally making that choice every time there is a price change or news about any tax credit/rebate that would affect me. For now I'm still putting it into TSLA. At some point when I get that loan on a Model 3 or Y I'll be buying less shares per month/quarter until that loan is paid off.

And I know it's going to go up from here so that is going to be one super expensive car. But I'm not immortal, I may have to give up some profits to buy my next car or two. Maybe TSLA keeps going up for the rest of my life.
If everyone had made the same decisions as you with the expectation of an ever rising stock price, Tesla would have gone bankrupt.

If you really love the cars and believe in the company’s mission and the most important thing you must do is buy a Tesla.

If everyone had made the same decisions as you with the expectation of an ever rising stock price, Tesla would have gone bankrupt.

If you really love the cars and believe in the company’s mission and the most important thing you must do is buy a Tesla.
If more and more market participants were buying TSLA instead of Teslas, then the price of TSLA would rise and the price of Teslas would fall. Each incremental jump in TSLA's price would make this trade-off less attractive. Additionally, this would make it easier for Tesla to raise funds with an equity offering. Eventually a new equilibrium would be reached. Judging by the responses in this forum, this dynamic has been going on since the IPO, as there's major overlap between Tesla fans and TSLA investors.