Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Secret Service, however, rode shotgun in a black Chevy Suburban.
For now. I have a dream that one day heads of state and their security teams will be rolling in Cybertrucks modified with extra thick steel and windows. A dream that one day armored personnel carriers will be judged by their speed, agility and ability to stop 50-cal bullets rather than the color of their exoskeleton.

Last edited:
This is a big deal. Germans(the people and the regulators) are going to embrace this in a nearly optimal manner. Elon is going to be overjoyed at the pace they can roll this out there.

The combination of heavy industry and high peak rates means these folks will absolutely crush the wholesale market. Every cloud that passes by on a German afternoon is pure $$$$. Gonna be really interesting to see this evolve.

Here's a thread in the Energy Forum to discuss and track their progress.

My plan was to sell off my shorter term calls (Oct and Nov) if we ran up before earnings. Still possible that we go up from here as I'm expecting amazing numbers but I try not to be too greedy. Now what to do with this cash?
i just rolled my oct-call to nov for the same price (=different strike).. reduces short-term downside risk (lower delta) & is cheaper to hold (lower theta). Still bullish. But more in the other thread ;)

Or just buy the next dip with the cash :D

I don't understand the line of thinking that FSD beta is dangerous. When sitting in the driver seat you have full access to the brake, throttle and steering wheel instantly, whenever you want. Warren Redlich recently pointed out that a beta version of FSD is less scary than teaching your 15 year old with a learners permit to drive because you have to sit in the passenger seat and have no access to the brake or throttle and very limited access to the steering wheel. Yet we teach millions of new drivers to drive every year.
The only thing I would say is that unlike teaching your kid, there is not any two-way communication, and sometime it communicates the exact opposite of what it then does. The beta software will also make some sudden decisions at times when you do not expect it, partly because it does not seem like any decision needs to be made at that time. An example would be suddenly attempting to turn the opposite direction while in the middle of a turn. Or for me the other day it notified me on the screen that it was going to change lanes to avoid cones, and then immediately changed lanes the opposite directions *toward* the cones.

The way the car behaves is not subtle. An example is slamming on the brakes mid lane change. Or yesterday it very suddenly when approaching a light slowing down, right before stopping it suddenly decided it wanted to be in the next lane over and just went for it, right in front of a car approaching from behind in that lane. Yes you have the ability to take control, but it acts very quickly at times.

The biggest risk in my opinion is that its erratic behavior will cause someone else to hit you. Driving without accident is a collaborative effort by all cars together, and predictability is a very important aspect of that. The beta software is very unpredictable currently.

Last edited:
The only thing I would say is that unlike teaching your kid, there is not any two-way communication, and sometime it communicates the exact opposite of what it then does. The beta software will also make some sudden decisions at times when you do not expect it, partly because it does not seem like any decision needs to be made at that time. An example would be suddenly attempting to turn the opposite direction while in the middle of a turn. Or for me the other day it notified me on the screen that it was going to change lanes to avoid cones, and then immediately changed lanes the opposite directions *toward* the cones.

The way the car behaves is not subtle. An example is slamming on the brakes mid lane change. Or yesterday it very suddenly when approaching a light slowing down, right before stopping it suddenly decided it wanted to be in the next lane over and just went for it, right in front of a car approaching from behind in that lane. Yes you have the ability to take control, but it acts very quickly at times.

IMO it's not the likelihood of an incident, or even root cause of the incident. It's the fact that 1 (ONE!) really bad incident would have massive impact on FSD regulation and rollout.

A 15/16 year old will, with absolute certainty, run over an old lady in the United States today. And it will barely make the news. And it will also happen tomorrow with nothing changing from a regulatory or liability standpoint.

If a TMC poster freaks out with their Model 3 in FSD and somehow causes it to run down a 6 year old.....this program is shut down through 2023. Because Tesla's kill children on purpose.

Welp, my 1 fractional share of TSLA on Robinhood is now above water when I bought it at $857 earlier in the year.

Lol, I have a family member who used their annual TFSA contribution limit increase (finally) to buy some TSLA at $880 on Jan 6th.

...after I told them to hurry up and buy at $715 on Jan 2nd. :p

...after I told them to buy at $245 (pre-split) on Sep 14, 2019. o_O

I haven't talked to them since, maybe, March? I wonder if they sold... :D

Cheers!

Will we see $870 today? I could get some beans and cornbread started.
Certainly feels like there's a hockey stick blade coming at the end of the day.

I would just get started. Worst case....you got beans and cornbread.

Edit: To clarify, the blade will be up.

Last edited:
If anyone needs to sell $TSLA for cash then I sincerely hope they're doing it via covered calls - maybe, just maybe, you make enough money from the premiums that you don't need to sell the shares. Just sayin'

Likewise for income going forwards there's really no need to deplete your capital
Why would I make a bearish play like selling covered calls when I could sell puts instead? Seems ridiculous on the face of it if you believe TSLA is going up. Especially with earnings coming up. I'm thinking that people who sold covered calls into this sudden rise in TSLA are feeling pretty stupid this week.

Me, I would much rather feel stupid for being too bullish than being too bearish on TSLA.

May 13 2021.
I've decided that instead of being extra bearish and reacting that way, I should do the opposite. I'm planning on converting a decent chunk of my shares (non-taxable account) into slightly OTM leaps over the next couple of trading days. Hodl my beer.

After all, we could have picked a boring boomer stock but where is the fun in that?

Good job me (and the many many others who helped inform this decision). :cool:

Nice.

Elon has enough money now that he should build an American -ring style track somewhere scenic here in the US. Only electric cars would be allowed.

He should call it the Bohr ring (orbiting electrons)

The old Reno-Fernley Raceway (multiple configurations and over 4 miles, you can see it on Google Earth) is just over the ridge to the East from Gigafactory Reno. It wouldn't even be that hard to build a private road directly to it. Lots of fond memories of that track- and I'm really surprised Tesla hasn't snapped it up as a private test track as that could probably get it for a song! If memory serves me right the road course closed down around 2008.

Do we know that all SR+ Model 3 produced in Fremont are LFP batteries? Seems that is what Tesla Economist is saying. I was under the impression Tesla was just making extra and shipping to stores for people to purchase once they arrive at stores.
I'm pretty sure you are correct. That majority of Model 3 SR+ use the standard packs from GigaNevada. They bring in some extra LFP packs to fill out line capacity, and those are put in inventory for people to buy. (If you place a "custom" order for a SR+ you don't get a LFP pack.)

Last edited:
Why would I make a bearish play like selling covered calls when I could sell puts instead? Seems ridiculous on the face of it if you believe TSLA is going up. Especially with earnings coming up. I'm thinking that people who sold covered calls into this sudden rise in TSLA are feeling pretty stupid this week.

Me, I would much rather feel stupid for being too bullish than being too bearish on TSLA.
For many of us, selling puts requires cash to cover. For us, selling puts is less bullish than just using the cash to buy and hold.

The biggest risk in my opinion is that its erratic behavior will cause someone else to hit you. Driving without accident is a collaborative effort by all cars together, and predictability is one a very important aspect of that. The beta software is very unpredictable currently.

Yes - I watch my rearview mirror like a hawk while running FSD. Lots of phantom braking incidents, particularly during the day when shadows are most harsh.

Everyone seems to respond this way when it's suggested someone sell CCs instead of outright selling shares when cash is needed. Just because selling CCs is generally considered a "bearish" strategy, doesn't mean you can't do with with other motivations.

Selling CCs as an alternative to selling shares is uber-bullish IMO. That's the behavior of an investor desperate to hold on to as many shares as is physically possible while still raising cash for a financial need.

This is a big deal. Germans(the people and the regulators) are going to embrace this in a nearly optimal manner. Elon is going to be overjoyed at the pace they can roll this out there.

The combination of heavy industry and high peak rates means these folks will absolutely crush the wholesale market. Every cloud that passes by on a German afternoon is pure $$$$. Gonna be really interesting to see this evolve.

Here's a thread in the Energy Forum to discuss and track their progress.

Disagree. I got a quote for my location and it's expensive unless you have Powerwall or solar PV. I have neither. Not going to be interesting for the wider market for a while. So, good PR, but doubt this will be a big deal.

Edit: Just saw the other forum thread and will continue discussion there.

Last edited:
1634573217020.png

Tell us you're a moron w/o telling us you're a moron...

The German automaker's electric Taycan model line has outsold the Tesla Model S and X by a better than two-to-one margin through the first three quarters of 2021, which saw the brand's overall sales rise 13%.

Gee, golly, if the Taycan can decimate sales of the Model S that quickly we had better pray to the good Lord that Porsche doesn't release a lower cost 4 door close to the same price range as the Models Y & 3 or Tesla will be toast! :eek:

/s

Last edited: