Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As my time in the employment pool was nearing the minimum "retirement" age for Social Security benefits I began giving more consideration to how things would play out. Planning for the future was never a priority for me as one who enjoyed many high-risk pursuits the odds seemed low that such planning would ever bear fruit. As the years passed it became more and more evident how the possibility for my surviving to a ripe old age was increasing and the focus for me changed.

I had been mostly a precious metals holder, having an overall feeling for the stock and other commodities markets as being mostly rigged to benefit the large players. It wasn't something I had invested time in learning more about and a decision was made to put more effort into determining more specifically for myself whether my feelings were based in fact.

It seems that for the most part, they were. Though I stumbled upon Turtle Trading and found this method more interesting than most as it played upon the concept of using a small portion of the available funds, placing bets based upon price movements with the expectation that you will lose eight out of ten trades and still come out on top.

As I was working toward grasping the principles of the strategy and building the confidence to learn and apply, I began looking for stocks that exhibited the movement, repeatedly, that would work for Turtle Trading. Due mostly to my closely following SpaceX activity to satisfy my geeky side, I came to learn about Tesla. So, I put my effort into measuring it up for the investment strategy. This was in the Summer of 2019.

Having watched the gold and silver charts over the past two decades I was familiar with some common patterns, like extended stagnation leading to a breakout over time. As I looked at TSLA's chart it practically SCREAMED at me that when this breaks out it is going to be big.

I bought a little and it twitched up. I put more into it and it rose more. Being a little unsure and with reservations for the Stock Market I tip-toed in. All the while scrounging for more ways to buy, while holding the metals I had accumulated, but which only protected my investment in them against inflation without making and gains over many, many years.

Then, the big COVID dip happened and about the same time metals prices went up. It seemed the ideal moment to move those assets into TSLA and I began selling them as quickly as I could load up the car and get them to the coin dealer. By the end of Summer 2020 I was all-in TSLA, had found this forum, and had a lot of confidence in the HODL method based upon the fundamentals of the company, the mission of the company, and to some extent my shared vision for how Tesla/SpaceX/etc. will shape the future of mankind in a significant way.

It feels good to be on the side of the white hats in this disruptive Wild West shootout unfolding as Legacy (auto/energy/etc.) aren't known for their quick-draw skills.

In retrospect, I certainly wish I had the confidence in late 2019 to go all-in. I'd have been much further along. Still, approaching age 62, I was able to leave an IT job held for 24 years that was wearing me down in March of 2021. The decision was based upon my feeling that over the next two years what I have in Tesla will set me up for the rest of my life. The strategies I learned here at TMC for using margin instead of selling shares allows me the time to watch TSLA grow in value without affecting my lifestyle negatively.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone here for sharing their discourse, perspectives, strategies, and for all the fun we are having together riding this wonderful wave that only comes along once in a lifetime.

Now looking forward to Mondays every weekend! (something I never thought I'd be thinking) My new-found dislike of weekends is the only thing that helps me keep straight which Saturday it is today.

Now, off for devotional at the Church of the Knobby Tire to get in some miles on the eMTB that Elon helped me buy.

Cheers!

Seems to me like next quarter won’t be a huge growth quarter, but Q1 2022 will be monstrous as Berlin and Texas start deliveries. In fact… all of 2022 will be pretty insane with the ramp up of those dual money machines. And presumably 2023 as the Cybertruck production hits it’s stride.

It’s unlikely profits will dip though, I just think the 2022 quarters are going to be much more impressive.
Wrong.
Shanghai Luchao Port Wharf - Let the exports from China begin for 4th quarter.

Edit: This video is from August 2021 (never saw it before, but it is a thing of beauty). However still think Q4 will be a blow out quarter as Shanghai and Freemont continue to ramp up with possible contribution from Berlin and Austin.

Last edited:
I just can't bring myself to spend £92k on a family car though, it's not about affordability anymore, I just can't do it! I've decided on a budget of £55k and to be honest, even that is freaking me out a little, it's hard work sometimes being a Yorkshire man lol!! I might rethink my budget for the roadster in a few years time...
I know exactly where you are coming from and I'm not even from Yorkshire :) My first EV was a Leaf and when I bought my LR Model 3 it was double what I paid for the Leaf. I winced at paying £49K for a car but have not had a single wince since. In fact the opposite. Teslas are brilliant, you will love it (and so will every passenger you take)

I was going to order a LR MY in January but they keep raising the prices and Frugal Mengy doesn't want to spend that much money on a "car". Yet I'm a frakking Teslanaire, so one side of me thinks I'm being silly while the other side thinks I'm being financially prudent.

I think I came into money too quickly thanks to TSLA and I haven't adjusted my ways of thinking to compensate yet.... :p
One Million times this! We come from frugal families. We were "poor" for so long (students for ever, then a surgical resident making less than minimum wage, then trying to "catch up" to the rest of the professional world that had started making good incomes 5-10 years earlier), that it is really hard to stop being so "cheap." My wife is still clipping coupons, and debates getting guacamole on an 8 dollar burrito because it costs an extra dollar! I'm trying to tell her don't worry about it anymore, as I plan flights on our private jet, but these habits die hard.

Last edited:
Tesla Margins - Causing Investors to Stop and Take Notice

1635084101498.png

This is quite remarkable
Tesla exited 2020 with a 20.7% margin in Q4 (excluding reg credits).
In 2021 they methodically started their margin climb with Q1 at 22%, Q2 at 25.8% and Q3 at 28.8%.
A climb of 8.1 percentage points in a 9 month period. Let me type that again, "A climb of 8.1 percentage points in a 9 month period".
And consider this: The margin improvements came despite factories running at 75% capacity, chips/parts shortages, raw material price increases, logistics cost increases and margin hits from the model S&X refresh.
I did some digging and most of the margin increases came from reduced costs (not selling price increases) largely from the Shanghai ramp.
Much of the recent selling price increases have not shown up in these margins yet. Those are attached to orders to be delivered in the future - further improving margins.

Where do we go from here?
We go higher.
There is some concern that the low margins from ramping Austin/Berlin sites will hurt margins in Q1 and Q2. However, offsetting the Austin/Berlin ramp margins will be improved margins from Shanghai, improved Model S&X margins and some selling price increases made months ago on the 3&Y in the US starting to show up in sales. We may see a small dip in Q4 as sometimes companies make some year end adjustments that distort the Qtr but over the next 4 quarters, Tesla should continue with margin increases.

We come from frugal families. We were "poor" for so long (students for ever, then a surgical resident making less than minimum wage, then trying to "catch up" to the rest of the professional world that had started making good incomes 5-10 years earlier), it is really hard to stop being so "cheap." My wife is still clipping coupons, and debates getting guacamole on an 8 dollar burrito! I'm trying to tell her don't worry about it anymore, as I plan flights on our private jet, but these habits die hard.

My wife is cheap and I am frugal. I also somewhat recently retired before social security, and the loss of wages caused a loss of security/confidence. So even though my spreadsheet is happy, I am disinclined to change our lifelong habits. I also remind myself that I accumulated money to de-risk unexpected life events, not to live differently.

Gotta love that geeky release note, which other major company does that biweekly?

To be fair, Tesla didn't do it either before....basically today.

Someone tweeted at Elon how the release notes suck like Apple, Elon agreed, and what you see in that screen shot is the result.

Which is one of the good things about Elons engagement on twitter.

Lol, I believe Elon said camera upgrade is included. Maybe contact a service station and ask?

Service has no idea WTF Elon is talking about, that tweet was the first they've heard of camera upgrades for AP2 (various threads in the FSD forum discussing this). They're telling people asking they have no idea how it's gonna work, or when it's gonna be available.

Same thing happened with the MCU upgrades, Elon tweeted they'd be offered, nobody had said a thing to the service centers, and then owners spent over a year in limbo waiting for anything to be formalized or available.

Which is one of the bad things about Elons engagement on twitter.

Gotta love that geeky release note, which other major company does that biweekly?
I'd bet that what those release notes represent is the culmination of a scrum/stand-up meeting where those are the actual work items each team of engineers took on to implement over the past two weeks. Agile engineering is typically done in this fashion. The output is a functional change list like those release notes.

Is Monday the beginning of the great realization before the great awakening? I’m fairly sure I’ll be doing several FSDb drives for co-workers who know my car is 3 years old. All of a sudden it can drive me from home to work and back? WTF?! The number of 99s has to be at least 100x the 100s. I’m actually shocked this was released. I was fairly sure it would be pushed off another week or I would not be included. Just wow.

One Million times this! We come from frugal families. We were "poor" for so long (students for ever, then a surgical resident making less than minimum wage, then trying to "catch up" to the rest of the professional world that had started making good incomes 5-10 years earlier), that it is really hard to stop being so "cheap." My wife is still clipping coupons, and debates getting guacamole on an 8 dollar burrito because it costs an extra dollar! I'm trying to tell her don't worry about it anymore, as I plan flights on our private jet, but these habits die hard.
I still clip coupons but the only difference is now I don't actually use them, but we still buy all our groceries at a closeout market, and only eat what we buy there.

I needed new sneakers last week, So I asked my grown son if he had any pairs he was no longer using and he dropped off 2 pairs for me.

I can't help it!

Last edited:
Then, the big COVID dip happened and about the same time metals prices went up. It seemed the ideal moment to move those assets into TSLA and I began selling them as quickly as I could load up the car and get them to the coin dealer. By the end of Summer 2020 I was all-in TSLA, had found this forum, and had a lot of confidence in the HODL method based upon the fundamentals of the company, the mission of the company, and to some extent my shared vision for how Tesla/SpaceX/etc. will shape the future of mankind in a significant way.
Having started investing in TSLA in 2014 it's really annoying to read about the people that jumped in at the last minute. I guess I just need to get over it. It taught me a lot of patience. Also if I would have jumped in at the last minute it probably would have been with $10,000 or something of low significants. Those panful flat years helped ease me into the idea of being disproportionally invested in one company. All of the "investors" that I knew all sold off as their stocks would increase in value, to lock in their profits. It took me a long time to trust the people on this forum and to just hold and accumulate. It would still be nice if all of you that came late to the party, and went all in during the Covid dip, would keep it to yourselves. Unless you sold it all at $800 pre split and took your profits. You can tell us about that if you want. /s

Tesla Margins - Causing Investors to Stop and Take Notice

View attachment 725031

This is quite remarkable
Tesla exited 2020 with a 20.7% margin in Q4 (excluding reg credits).
In 2021 they methodically started their margin climb with Q1 at 22%, Q2 at 25.8% and Q3 at 28.8%.
A climb of 8.1 percentage points in a 9 month period. Let me type that again, "A climb of 8.1 percentage points in a 9 month period".
And consider this: The margin improvements came despite factories running at 75% capacity, chips/parts shortages, raw material price increases, logistics cost increases and margin hits from the model S&X refresh.
I did some digging and most of the margin increases came from reduced costs (not selling price increases) largely from the Shanghai ramp.
Much of the recent selling price increases have not shown up in these margins yet. Those are attached to orders to be delivered in the future - further improving margins.

Where do we go from here?
We go higher.
There is some concern that the low margins from ramping Austin/Berlin sites will hurt margins in Q1 and Q2. However, offsetting the Austin/Berlin ramp margins will be improved margins from Shanghai, improved Model S&X margins and some selling price increases made months ago on the 3&Y in the US starting to show up in sales. We may see a small dip in Q4 as sometimes companies make some year end adjustments that distort the Qtr but over the next 4 quarters, Tesla should continue with margin increases.
Personally, I think the margin will be stable or dip a bit starting next year due to giga Berlin and Texas ramps, and will be back on track for further improvement second half of next year. I hope I am wrong.

Having started investing in TSLA in 2014 it's really annoying to read about the people that jumped in at the last minute. I guess I just need to get over it.

Think of it the other way around: All the people that jumped in actually caused the stock to 10x. You would be more annoyed if they didn’t jump in.