Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TESLANAIRE>>>can we take a minute?
I'd like for us to consider the term, Teslanaire. I think we can do better. The "Tesla" part of it not only sounds odd, but it also makes people think of the car.
Now I'd like for us to consider attaching our success more to Elon Musk than Tesla. And when Starlink is publicly traded or SpaceX those two groups of investors can also place themselves under the same umbrella as ourselves.
Three alternatives come to mind
Elonaire, here the "n" should blend from one syllable to the next. it would not be Elon-aire, but the "n" could cross from one syllable to the other, Elon-naire

Elionaire: EL-ionaire (El-yun-air) sounds very close to Millionaire but is father away from the correct pronunciation of Elon. The closesness to Millionaire is the play on the name and provides some wit. Perhaps we could call ourselves mellionaires?

Now to "Musk."
Muskillionaire (Sounds like a funny childish name for a whole lotta millions-aire)
Muskinaire (Which would promote the fan-boi aspect of our new found wealth we would be both Mousketeers/Musketeers and millionaires.

Since I am silly from my improved financial situation I'd pick the silliest of the lot...
So in descending order I'd go:
Musketeer
Muskillionaire
Elonaire
Muskinaire
Elonaire

Teslanaire is just too unimaginative and bland.

TL;DR - Austin and Berlin will have a HUGE positive impact on gross vehicle profit margin; but overtime.

Logistics and supply chain efficiency improvement take time to fully realize (Tesla can pull this off faster than other companies as they are way more agile) so I'd expect 3 to 4 quarters. Locally sourced parts will drive down costs, obviously giga press front and back as well as 4680 structural pack improves build time, BOM (Bill of Materials), manufacturing complexity, lowers weight..etc.

Also, I'd expect that Tesla/Elon are targeting to implement new ideas in other high lead time, high cost, high turnover items like harnesses, relays, cabling of any kind, connectors to also further improve manufacturing speed and lower manufacturing complexities. I absolutely love the idea of they've re-imagined how to get the seats in the vehicle by attaching directly to the structural battery pack. Should be a huge improvement across the board to assemble the cabin space. I remember at Fremont back in 2014 how hard it was to get the camera installed in the windshield after the headliner was installed. The tech had to crawl inside the cabin, without seats, so awkward, connect to the harness, route the wire inside housing and then glue/sealant onto the windshield. Ugh, we changed this so quickly as it was causing issues with calibration.

And the coup de grâce exoskeleton for CT will be immense to the bottom line. I'm so jealous of those working on this...oh if I were in my 20's again, I'd be all over that!

It will be so exciting to see 4680's constructed from raw materials at both factories; hopefully sometime next year.

Let's also not forget pricing when it comes to larger orders of parts from suppliers. I know right now inflation is a factor, but typically when you greatly increase your orders from a supplier, you get a better price per unit. Economies of scale and seeing how Model 3/Y already share similar parts, the order #'s are going to double/triple thanks to Austin/Berlin.

Let's also not forget pricing when it comes to larger orders of parts from suppliers. I know right now inflation is a factor, but typically when you greatly increase your orders from a supplier, you get a better price per unit. Economies of scale and seeing how Model 3/Y already share similar parts, the order #'s are going to double/triple thanks to Austin/Berlin.
I am inspired by your optimism :) No one denies Telsa profit margin will improve, but we all said it takes sometimes once new factories are ramped, and not overnight as you have implied.

Reactions: CorneliusXX
I am inspired by your optimism :) No one denies once everything ramped, Telsa profit margin will improve, but we all said it takes sometimes, and not overnight as you have implied.

Hmm don't I think I said anywhere that margins would improve overnight or even improve at all in my posts this morning. I simply pointed out a couple items that will counter balance some aspects of the Berlin/Austin ramp. No need for back n forth at this point. We'll find out in the next couple of quarters.

I still clip coupons but the only difference is now I don't actually use them, but we still buy all our groceries at a closeout market, and only eat what we buy there.

I needed new sneakers last week, So I asked my grown son if he had any pairs he was no longer using and he dropped off 2 pairs for me.

I can't help it!
You only need one pair of sneakers. What size are they?

Hmm don't I think I said anywhere that margins would improve overnight or even improve at all in my posts this morning. I simply pointed out a couple items that will counter balance some aspects of the Berlin/Austin ramp. No need for back n forth at this point. We'll find out in the next couple of quarters.
This is where I stop IM and email at my work place after a few rounds, and pick up the phone and talk instead. Unfortuately, we don't call up and talk here :cool:

Having started investing in TSLA in 2014 it's really annoying to read about the people that jumped in at the last minute. I guess I just need to get over it. It taught me a lot of patience. Also if I would have jumped in at the last minute it probably would have been with $10,000 or something of low significants. Those panful flat years helped ease me into the idea of being disproportionally invested in one company. All of the "investors" that I knew all sold off as their stocks would increase in value, to lock in their profits. It took me a long time to trust the people on this forum and to just hold and accumulate. It would still be nice if all of you that came late to the party, and went all in during the Covid dip, would keep it to yourselves. Unless you sold it all at $800 pre split and took your profits. You can tell us about that if you want. /s
As we are off on this topic anyway, let me just add my own experience:
Got in at ~50+ presplit, 2013, and "enjoyed" the mad rush of that summer. Sold off at ~185 enough to recover my initial investment. That meant I no longer had to worry TSLA would drop (which it did, kinda bigly) but could stay in and add on dips whenever cash happened to be available.

I think that lucky fact determined my stoic endurance and fortune after. Not that I did not keep selling and buying, but much less desperately, I would guess.

But that was then, this is now. What about future eh? ;)

Iridium !

Actually, it was Iridium's lower cost competitor, Globalstar. I bought them on the way down towards bankruptcy thinking they could pull it off but not enough people were willing to pay nearly $2/minute and carry a satellite phone around that was the size of large brick costing over a thousand dollars at the time. Launch costs were high, satellites and ground stations were expensive to build and operate and the market couldn't support it. The main problem was that cellular had good enough coverage for most people. Fortunately, it was not one of my high conviction picks or a large percent of my portfolio.

Since this Forum is all about TSLA
Since when? I'm still a dumb deworseifier. I have enough TSLA to live on comfortably, if it does what everyone thinks its going to do over the next ten years. I'll still be adding to my TSLA holdings, but I've also set aside a few $100,000 to buy and watch other companies. I tell myself it's to help me sleep at night, but it's also a fun (and expensive) hobby.

but I've also set aside a few $100,000 to buy and watch other companies. I tell myself it's to help me sleep at night, but it's also a fun (and expensive) hobby.
OT: replying once only

Good dividend growth stocks, such as ABBV, J&J, LMT, HD, LOW, PEP, JPM, MS, .... For instant incomes, some good REIT and BDC stocks (high yield, low/no growth on both SP and dividend) ....

Since when? I'm still a dumb deworseifier. I have enough TSLA to live on comfortably, if it does what everyone thinks its going to do over the next ten years. I'll still be adding to my TSLA holdings, but I've also set aside a few $100,000 to buy and watch other companies. I tell myself it's to help me sleep at night, but it's also a fun (and expensive) hobby.
There's another thread for that. I don't have a link handy, but it's called "other stocks to consider" or something similar.

There's another thread for that. I don't have a link handy, but it's called "other stocks to consider" or something similar.

Balthazaraire has a ring to it I think. Seems reasonable to buy the appropriate bottle at each milestone.
Champagne-Bottle-size-1.png