Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've excluded Chinese automakers from the first set below, as my trust and confidence in the Chinese stock market is even lower than that of the US MMs.

As of when I added the data - correct as of a few minutes ago, TSLA's market cap now exceeds that of the next sixteen largest automakers, viz:

TOYOTA 240.5
VW 149.1
DAIMLER 142.3
GM 83.7
BMW 66.4
FORD 64.5
STELLANTIS 63.2
VOLVO 58.6
FERRARI 56.1
HONDA 51.8
LUCID 39.9
MARUTI 29.2
KIA 28.9
SUZUKI 21.6
NISSAN 19.9

But were I to include the Chinese makers - BYD at 142.3 Great Wall at 78.9 and NIO at 65.2 - the portrait changes so that TSLA is larger than the next ten largest.
Stupid SP keeps going up. And putting Ford and GM further and further into the rear-view mirror! So
  • I grouped the non-Tesla US industry into one, same for EU and Japan.
  • I added Microsoft and Saudi Aramco, so we have all the big ones TSLA will eventually pass (is there any doubt??).
  • Next time I'll add some of the other up-and-coming Chinese manufacturers.
  • Facebook is now clearly in the rear-view mirror too.
1635179265906.png

Last edited:
Could there be more strategy behind this Hertz deal? I considered Tesla buying them but not sure that makes sense in the context of robotaxis. Now, Hertz might see it as a way to get free publicity, bring in high earning/eco conscious renters, and maybe a hedge against robotaxi?

Dying to know how they will handle autopilot. Will it be offered or locked out?

Relevant article from 3 years ago.

I just want to go on the record and say that if Hertz decided to buy 100,000 X 10K FSD; or 100,000 X FSD monthly subscriptions, I would be ok with that.

I just want to go on the record and say that if Hertz decided to buy 100,000 X 10K FSD; or 100,000 X FSD monthly subscriptions, I would be ok with that.
Could FSD on a rental become an option when you rent? Hertz either purchases with or subscribes and when you rent car you opt for it for an additional fee.

Tangential ... or maybe not.

I have a Model Y reservation meant to cover our car trip needs. Those are not many or often, but the LEAF in the family is obviously not a substitute. The Hertz announcement made me realize that I just might have a choice in the near future whether to own a long distance EV or just rent one. I raised the possibility with my wife who adamantly opposed rental only, mostly because she is afraid I'll nix trips because of blips in the rental prices (yes, I can be a penny pincher.)

Personal issues aside, I think the transition to less personal car ownership and more rentals is gaining steam. And that is a rosy scenario for Tesla since they will be positioned to sell as many EVs as they can make, and at a price premium if the cost of maintenance and expected longevity pan out. Less global car sales and higher utilization per car is an awesome outlook since it meshes with the transition to EVs so well.

They were under chapt. 11, then a guy with money came and pull them out.
Now he made the call.
"A guy"... was it Elon? (That would be quite a few chess moves ahead!)

In Hinzight, cost of ownership was always quite low, but I bet the 1M mile battery is what sealed the deal. All rental car companies will need to do this to be relevant and survive. And the others have zero time to figure this out as their Model 3's or Y's won't be ready for another year or more.

Snowball happening faster bc of this. Yes... HODL even today! This will pay out in spades next year.

No, not really ever going to agree that we have a "right" to crow. Theoretically, free speech wise..sure. Even to tease a good friend or relative. Beyond that celebrate the transition to EVs vs personal gains as this transition, no matter how personally beneficial, will be painful even ruinous to many. Crowing is simply crass and harms the mission. Just my $0.02

I'm glad you've done well. Now go plant a tree :).
Hi @nativewolf

I read what you write and think about it.
I used to strongly agree with you, and if you look at my posts you will see mostly tempering, even-ing and a sigh of relief as there is now a chance at retirement where before there was not.

Crowing may be (is) crass and I try to make it off brand for me, but data supports that it actually helps the mission.

Let’s safely replace crowing with taunting.

Elon is on mission… and he taunts. [don’t kid yourself. Everything he does is deliberate].

If you read the Porter paper on the competitive advantage of nations, rivalry and taunting were found across most nation/industries studied. [This paper is what started to change my mind. ]

If you think about SEC football. Steve Spurrier taunting was a part of making it competitive during the heyday.

Taunting engages attention and focuses extra effort on the part of society. Even those being taunted.

Yes, anyone born into a happenstance of bad management suffers. Someone crushed the EV1. The technology transition could have been smoother or more controlled. Greed took that option off the table.

When I listen to the expressions of the people here, there is celebration of the steadfastness that helped capitalize the transition.

When I read through the Porter lens, taunting may be the fastest and kindest path to recovery. Highest percentage recovered, etc.

Please take a look and share your thoughts.

There is a section in there on (re) skilling the work force by creating a visible market for developed skills. Taunting helps make that market visible, which motivates training investment.

This is an old paper. Not just stuff made up to argue on the internet. The goal here is to help displaced people transition. That paper is the most researched, credible and closely aligned work that I know about to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could FSD on a rental become an option when you rent? Hertz either purchases with or subscribes and when you rent car you opt for it for an additional fee.
I wonder if Tesla will make it so Hertz can temporarily give you Tesla app access to the car. Then people could opt to rent FSD by the day. (Based on the subscription option the current price is ~$6.57/day.)

Will the cars comes with a key fob? If so, I would think Hertz would have to pay extra for them. ($175 each)

How will Supercharging be paid for? Does Hertz pay and then bill the customer? Does the customer have to put their credit card in the app? Pay via the screen?

Even more reason to change the free color from white to differentiate the Hertz Tesla's and others.
Have special production runs of just Model 3 SR+ for Hertz all white.
Ah? NO!
You are unfamiliar with the accepted understanding that Rental vehicles in Vacation areas are targeted by criminals. This was a very real issue in Florida 20 years ago. To the point that the State quit issuing licence plates specifically "numbered" for rental cars.

• Informative
Reactions: Lessmog and capster
Hertz is already sending emails featuring Tom Brady and Model 3's to their Gold Plus Rewards members. They also posted new 30 and 60 second ad spots featuring him and the Model 3!

1635176640135.png

Even my son (and 88 y/o mom) are now a "Teslanaires" as of today. :cool: I bought his first 100 shares in 2012 when he was 16:

06/13/2012500$972.38$6.02$486,190.00$3,008.95+16,058.13%Long Term

I also received FSD beta over the weekend.

Could there be more strategy behind this Hertz deal? I considered Tesla buying them but not sure that makes sense in the context of robotaxis. Now, Hertz might see it as a way to get free publicity, bring in high earning/eco conscious renters, and maybe a hedge against robotaxi?

Dying to know how they will handle autopilot. Will it be offered or locked out?

Relevant article from 3 years ago.
Considering that the Master Plan says delaying FSD for "mercantile" reasons is "morally reprehensible" and considering that offering FSD to Hertz would make Tesla more $$$ anyway, I think they will do it.

Also, if this really does work out, Tesla needs to watch out for being seen as a big evil abusive monopoly to avoid political backlash that limits long term profits.