Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering that the Master Plan says delaying FSD for "mercantile" reasons is "morally reprehensible" and considering that offering FSD to Hertz would make Tesla more $$$ anyway, I think they will do it.

Also, if this really does work out, Tesla needs to watch out for being seen as a big evil abusive monopoly to avoid political backlash that limits long term profits.
I was thinking about it from a risk perspective. i.e. some yahoo gets in the rental and crashes on AP, and then sues Hertz, Tesla etc. It's easier to claim that an owner should know what they are doing than some renter.
I wonder if Tesla will make it so Hertz can temporarily give you Tesla app access to the car. Then people could opt to rent FSD by the day. (Based on the subscription option the current price is ~$6.57/day.)

Will the cars comes with a key fob? If so, I would think Hertz would have to pay extra for them. ($175 each)

How will Supercharging be paid for? Does Hertz pay and then bill the customer? Does the customer have to put their credit card in the app? Pay via the screen?
I'd guess it's how they do tolls now at most companies. They just bill you for them after the fact.

"don't forget to bring it back with a full tank...errr battery or you can pre-pay and save that...$7 worth of electricity" ;)

Reactions: Lessmog
I had to do a double-take because initially I thought this was a random troll, given the quality of the reply.

It turns out she’s Head of Communications, Marketing, & Public Affairs at Waymo 🥴

Thank god, Tesla doesn’t have a PR department (Gary can go … sell his shares) and this confirms that Tesla is on the right path to FSD.
Sam is a car Guru regular on The Tech Guy radio show hosted by Leo Laporte. He worked in Auto industry for decades and now has a Podcast ("Wheel Bearings"). I do distinctly remember him saying, on Leo's show, not only did he not like Tesla's he could not stand the sound of Elon's voice. He seems like a real smart guy and technically savvy but as Upton Sinclair wrote "It is difficult to get a to understand something when..."

Hertz is already sending emails featuring Tom Brady and Model 3's to their Gold Plus Rewards members. They also posted new 30 and 60 second ad spots featuring him and the Model 3!

View attachment 725497

Even my son (and 88 y/o mom) are now a "Teslanaires" as of today. :cool: I bought his first 100 shares in 2012 when he was 16:

06/13/2012500$972.38$6.02$486,190.00$3,008.95+16,058.13%Long Term

I also received FSD beta over the weekend.
5rr4xh.jpg

Last edited:
I’m betting the Hertz Teslas will have a unique software build.

Before Covid, I routinely made 5-hour flights with a car rental (Hertz as chance would have it) waiting at the end.

The only thing I wanted to do was get to my hotel, unpack, and plant my butt on a barstool. I did NOT want to:
1) figure out where the trunk release was
2) figure out how to adjust the mirrors
3) figure out how to adjust the wheel
4) figure out how to adjust the seats
5) figure out how to get to the hotel

What I’d want to see is a mini-menu pop up immediately with all the adjustments and input for the hotel. Boom, boom, boom - car adjusted, route displayed.
You are right! So Right! Except your phone/bluetooth will automatically do it. Not a mini-pop-up menu. Or Hertz will have done it "pre-delivery if you allow Hertz to store your settings.
A better experience...

AND LOWER OVERHEAD....Imagine where your vehicle will be when you exit the terminal? (Hertz will only need to purchase "take-off space" from the Airport, and have a small "Customer Service Counter" for the unique situations.)

There have been 23.9M shares traded in the Main Session through Noon, on top of the amazing 1.75M volume in the Pre-market.

Let's get that into the permanent record here at TMC University (it'll help when teaching those 1st-years...) ;)

TSLA Pre-Market Quotes​

Data last updated Oct 25, 2021 09:30 AM ET.
This page will resume updating on Oct 26, 2021 04:00 AM ET.
Consolidated Last Sale$951.63 +41.95 (+4.61%)
Pre-Market Volume1,751,313
Pre-Market High$953.19 (08:00:06 AM)
Pre-Market Low$910.01 (04:00:00 AM)

TSLA.2021-10-25.09-30.png

CH33RS!

Last edited:
Hertz is already sending emails featuring Tom Brady and Model 3's to their Gold Plus Rewards members. They also posted new 30 and 60 second ad spots featuring him and the Model 3!

View attachment 725497

Even my son (and 88 y/o mom) are now a "Teslanaires" as of today. :cool: I bought his first 100 shares in 2012 when he was 16:

06/13/2012500$972.38$6.02$486,190.00$3,008.95+16,058.13%Long Term

I also received FSD beta over the weekend.

I can't see that tag line and not think of:

lets-go.gif

• Funny
Reactions: UCF3 and FlamingPIG
You are right! So Right! Except your phone/bluetooth will automatically do it. Not a mini-pop-up menu. Or Hertz will have done it "pre-delivery if you allow Hertz to store your settings.
A better experience...

AND LOWER OVERHEAD....Imagine where your vehicle will be when you exit the terminal? (Hertz will only need to purchase "take-off space" from the Airport, and have a small "Customer Service Counter" for the unique situations.)
Now that I think about it, on Twitter Elon confirmed that your car's personal preferences will be stored in the cloud, so that any authorized car will be instantly customized. That's the ticket.

Current price is 43,990, destination and documentation is 1,200, so revenue is 45,120. $42k is a $3k hit or about 7%. If Hertz handles the shipping, it improves things (assuming fleet sales still pay the $1,200).
Deliveries go through 2022, so likely Tesla's COGS will be lower (Austin) which will bump margin back up. Austin will also shorten the shipping route reducing cost there.

Edit: Y is at Austin, not 3...
Hertz has the logistic to pick up inventory in Fremont and move it wherever it is needed. On any given day, they have auto haulers at major airports to relocate inventory.

The old commercial that showed a guy floating into a Hertz car reminded me of a joke someone said; OUUH that hurts. Shorts might relate.
This is unexpected but now makes sense that getting a Tesla delivered is going to take longer and prices will probably increase; demand vs. supply.
Happy happy Monday.
This guy can't wait to drive one.
OIP.xUFAGp05bbvkValg8RY8mwHaEK

Sorry can't help it...