Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fair fact questions. Before the deal was announced, SR+ customers had to wait until February for delivery. Now, they have to wait until April. Meanwhile, you are starting to see a few (and admittedly it seems to be only a few) Hertz SR+ offerings.

I would be glad to be wrong on this point.

Cherry picking items. Hertz order won't be completely fulfilled until end of 2022. You're also ignoring that the Hertz Model SR's are the CATL made battery packs. Tesla cannot just swap out current Model SR orders with the new CATL battery packs because the range doesn't exactly line up. This was proven in Q3 with the emails to consumers plus the CATL SR vehicles going into inventory across the US.

Ok, adding Swedish Hertz to the black list of companies we do not support on the mountain along with Coke and every NFL team Tom Brady doesn’t play for (except Denver as long as Elway lives).

That sucks because my spouse is one of those Gold Elite 8* Magenta Platinum Hertz members. This now means Sweden is off our list of countries we can visit unless we backpack it, and that ain’t happening. We’re accustomed to a certain style of travel.

Are they including PHEV? Maybe they intend to throw a tiny battery in every car and call it an EV. Wouldn’t surprise me that they would play games like this and average reader wouldn’t know the difference.
My 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid had an EV button, though it could never drive in pure EV. Maybe they'll just add a button that does nothing like Toyota did.

I
The counter to this though is by Tesla's own estimates, the Tesla Robotaxi network will reduce the cost of using ride-sharing service by a huge amount. It's hard to make a case against a company having a monopoly in one sector/industry when that company is actively reducing the cost to the consumer over other services. Tesla could, and likely would, make a case that if it was forced to license it's Robotaxi network out to let other companies use, it would drive the cost of the overall service up......not down.

*Note I'm talking about Robotaxi service, not just FSD where Tesla would license out their FSD software suite to other auto makers.
I agree with that but this situation is rather unprecedented so I hope they tread carefully. In the worldwide FSD monopoly scenario, we will have never seen a single organization with more power and wealth than this. I mean, they might end up with more annual income than the US government.

We all like to laugh at the other OEMs, but serious question, if you were the CEO of one of the majors, what would you do? (assuming quitting the job is not an option).

As CEO of GM / Ford / Toyota / etc.:
  • What exactly would you put your capital towards? (don't just say 'electrification'. Be specific - what would you design? what would you build? where? how quickly can you pivot?)
  • What would you mothball? How quickly? (don't just say 'all my ICEs now' - it has to be sustainable)
  • How would you finance it?
  • How would you handle your dealerships?
  • How would you attract the transformational talent?
  • What would you communicate to
    • The public
    • Your employees
    • Your dealerships
    • The union
    • The government
    • The market / investors / your Board
Be creative. Survive. If Elon were transposed into a competing CEO's job, what would he do? Ah! Not so easy, is it? Don't ridicule unless you can do better. Earn all that 'wisdom' that sitting here idle with TSLA shares has made you. :)

I raise this because obvs Mary Barra's approach (don't let them see you sweat) is different than Herbert Diess' ("we are in a crisis of existential proportions!!"). Which is likely to be more successful?

(I accept that the answers may vary by OEM)

linda-richman-mike-myers.gif

[Wow, for no particular reason, this is my 2nd Mike Myers GIF!]
[and don't get on me about helping the competition - if anybody listened to us here on TMC, they would have bought into our narrative WAY before now!]
Actually, I laid out a plan here a number of years back. Got a number of disagrees for it, but people have talked about doing it that way since.

Waky waky... just about time to go to "work"!

Approaching a million shares traded before the market even opens. Buckle up for another wild day's ride at TSLAland!

Lol, for the record: 1.11M shares traded in today's TSLA Pre-market:

TSLA Pre-Market Quotes​

Data last updated Oct 27, 2021 09:30 AM ET.
This page will resume updating on Oct 28, 2021 04:00 AM ET.

Consolidated Last Sale$1038.7 +20.27 (+1.99%)
Pre-Market Volume1,117,484
Pre-Market High$1043.5 (09:22:27 AM)
Pre-Market Low$1009.65 (05:03:40 AM)

Cheers!

I never caught that wrinkle. Could you please direct me to where this is discussed?

You'll probably have to do some digging through the internet because I don't have the time to be doing that. But during early to mid Q3, Model 3 SR reservation holders were being contacted by Tesla asking if they wanted to switch to the CATL made Model 3 SR in order to get their delivery pushed up. I believe the difference in range was like 7-8 miles. Because of that range difference, even though it's small, Tesla can't just swap people's reservation for the other Model SR at will. There were screenshots of the email that people posted here and on Twitter.

About 2-3 weeks later, we started seeing CATL based Model 3 SR start to show up in inventory in spots around the US.

Okay, I know it is OT, but I wanted to say that I like the SP movement today. Relatively calm in comparison to yesterday's roller coaster early in the morning.

I'm perfectly fine with these lackluster 3% -5% up moves daily. Those 10%+ days are a bit over the top, would you not agree? :rolleyes:
:cool:

Edit: a big /S (for our favorite Kat) 🐱

Last edited:
Work productivity has ground down to essentially (see what I did there?) zero. Between watching the ticker all morning and catching up on the many pages of new posts here, very little is going to get done today, again.
Whenever I feel bad about that I remind myself that this "work" pays far more than the other kind I do.

Work productivity has ground down to essentially (see what I did there?) zero. Between watching the ticker all morning and catching up on the many pages of new posts here, very little is going to get done today, again.
Reminds me of that time, way back when, in the weeks before I tendered my resignation/retirement notice. ;)