Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Estimated delivery times (from CA). As usual, the higher priced configurations have a significantly shorter wait time, encouraging some people to opt for the higher priced (and higher margin) car now rather than waiting.

ModelEst Delivery
Model S LRJun
Model S PlaidDec
Model 3 SR+Jun
Model 3 LRDec
Model 3 PerfDec
Model X LRSep
Model X PlaidJul
Model Y LRJun
Model Y PerfDec
I wonder if some more fleet orders (like Hertz) have been quietly placed. The first half of the year sold out of the more affordable cars.

What many think: Wow, TSLA is so high!

My thoughts: It's likely to be a really, really bad climate-change-fueled winter and the only company with a chance of succeeding needs the money to fuel further growth and build out the entire ecosystem ... very quickly.

They gots the money. The problem is they need more talent…will be a while before TITS is churning out amazing engineers…

There is something here. Let's adjust it a bit.

Note: I am close to retirement age so I keep two years of cash, all else is largely Tesla with some running experiments (like $2K in ARK, etc).

I too measure the temperature by asking people I respect a lot, that also think highly of themselves, and rightly so, but come from an old school MBA top drawer company trained background. For example, I sent one a tweet that showed the market cap of Tesla was more than all the other auto makers combined. And asked, "Is Tesla overvalued?"

His answer was, "Yes." He is pretty busy.

I processed that as "How blind sided will the general population be when Tesla's performance is known?"
With an answer, "Very blindsided."

That means that the stock is currently way undervalued (value is under recognized).

So I am comparing my a) first hand experience with the product and exposure to Elon's plans to b) the thoughts of the 1st or second-best CEO I have ever experienced. I am not comparing to some Bozo short on Youtube.

So it is good to know where the heart of the market is relative to understanding what Tesla is, and is doing. This can increase conviction as today's prices are determined by heart of market current perception. The eventual price is determined by financial performance/metrics. The gap is opportunity, for those who care about money.

For me it is an altruistic investment made out of desperation for employment freedom. I guess that is altruistic. I like what they are doing with my money, and will not hide the money in a hole or give it to some games player.

The logic always seemed to me that no matter how well their intentions may be, stock brokers, advisors, whatever you call the people folks entrust with their life savings to secure their future, probably aren't independently wealthy.

Ipso facto, very few people who have actually had some degree of success will be found in these roles offering advise.

It always seemed to be a bad idea to employ their services for anything beyond low yield investments. Paint by numbers stuff. Counting on someone paid to advise to pick the hot ticket would very much be a long shot. If they were any good at it, would they be working for a living?

Much better to find someplace like TMC and pick up crumbs of wisdom from people speaking from a background of success. Gather enough crumbs and soon you have a cookie, or a slice of the cake.
A really good investor won't need to work for anyone, not for long.

This should be worth anudder 20 bux on the SP, amirite? ;)

Cheers!
When the Hertz Tesla purchase (partnership?) was announced I immediately downloaded the Hertz app and joined the Hertz “Gold Plus Rewards” program. I then took the time to write Hertz and tell them they now have a new loyal customer specifically due to their wise decision to purchase Teslas, the most efficient, low cost of operation vehicles on the planet. I also congratulated them for taking active steps to address climate change and that this partnership will serve them well in this regard. Finally, I told them I would buy stock in the restructured company because their future is very bright as a result of their decision to embrace Tesla and EVs. The last part is a bit disingenuous, as I’ll probably just buy more TSLA once my money tree blooms again in January. But, you all get the point. ☺️

🚀 🌙

Last edited:
Let's get today's After-hrs summary into the permanent record: :)

TSLA After-Hours Quotes​

Data last updated Oct 29, 2021 08:00 PM ET.
This page will resume updating on Nov 01, 2021 04:00 PM ET.
Consolidated Last Sale$1128.11 +14.11 (+1.27%)
After-Hours Volume1,217,815
After-Hours High$1129.75 (06:10:25 PM)
After-Hours Low$1106.4469 (04:01:39 PM)

Cheers to the Longs!

Elon doesn't want to juice the SP unnecessarily until he's paid the taxes on all 12 tranches of his 2018 CEO compensation plan. That'll be in the rearview mirror in a few more quarters. Just in time for 4680 cell mass production to commence... ;)

Not so fast. Elon isn't planning on exercising the options from his 2018 CEO compensation plan anytime soon. The ones he said he is exercising this year are from the old 2012 plan. He has up to January 20, 2028 to exercise all of the grants from the 2018 plan. (Or 1-year after his termination with Tesla, whichever is first.) Full details here.

So no, he isn't going to be done exercising options in the next few quarters.

Last edited:
Reduction in battery weighty matches the increase in battery energy density - which means the car has the same energy in a lighter battery.

So the increase in range is all due to the overall weight reduction in the car of approx 200 lbs (plus some increase in drive train efficiency). No other cell level magic.

Not so fast. Elon isn't planning on exercising the options from his 2018 CEO compensation plan anytime soon. The ones he said he is exercising this year are from the old 2012 plan. He has up to January 20, 2028 to exercise any of the grants from the 2018 plan. (Or 1-year after his termination with Tesla, whichever is first.) Full details here.

So no, he isn't going to be done exercising options in the next few quarters.

This is a murky area, there's no clear-cut and definative answer to what will happen, and precious little discloure as well since it involves Elon's personal Income Taxes (which are private).

That being said, a number of people believe that taxes payable are due when Options awards are granted, not when exercised. I have no firm opinion on this, and I've yet to see a convincing treatment of the issue.

I believe the State of California has regulations governing this procedure due to the prevalence of stock option awards with Silicon Valley businesses. Somebody here may in fact know what is SUPPOSED to happen, in a general conduct sort of way.

I did however page @The Acccountand, and I'll add @st_lopes for good measure if anyone wants to offer any insight.

Cheers!

Reduction in battery weighty matches the increase in battery energy density - which means the car has the same energy in a lighter battery.

So the increase in range is all due to the overall weight reduction in the car of approx 200 lbs (plus some increase in drive train efficiency). No other cell level magic.
… and the addition of a heat pump.

That being said, a number of people believe that taxes payable are due when Options awards are granted, not when exercised. I have no firm opinion on this, and I've yet to see a convincing treatment of the issue.
I think it is pretty clear. Elon has said that he is planning to exercise options that expire next year, in August?, and he has to pay taxes on the gains when he exercises them. So you pay taxes upon exercising the option, not upon the granting of them.

Taxing upon the grant of the option would be like the taxing of unrealized gains. Elon doesn't have to ever exercise them, he could just let them expire. (At which point he wouldn't have any gains to be taxed.)

I think it is pretty clear. Elon has said that he is planning to exercise options that expire next year, in August?, and he has to pay taxes on the gains when he exercises them. So you pay taxes upon exercising the option, not upon the granting of them.
Okay, this is probably the source of our misunderstanding. I'm not talking about his about-to-expire options, I'm talking about his 3 remaining as-yet unearned tranches for his 2018 CEO compensation plan, which ammounts to 3% of outstanding TSLA stock as of 2018, but valued at market rate at the time of award (which is an unknown future date).

Taxing upon the grant of the option would be like the taxing of unrealized gains. Elon doesn't have to ever exercise them, he could just let them expire. (At which point he wouldn't have any gains to be taxed.)
I think this is where knowledge of California State tax procedure would be helpful, and I'm no expert. Waiting to see a thorough treatment of the appropriate procedure.

Cheers!

When in doubt...zoom out:

View attachment 727253
as I was explaining to someone on a different forum about being "all in" on TSLA

If you had 25% of your 401k, or IRA, or even an over the counter retail stock account in TSLA and TSLA went up 26x then what was 25% of your savings just became 98% of your savings.

You could sell off some but you'd miss out on gains to come, better bet if you want diversification is to buy more of something else as you add to your account over time, but if Tesla keeps going up faster than you invest it's going to stay in that 90-99% range.

I don't make enough monthly to buy non Tesla stock in any quantity that overcomes that math.