Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting Twitter thread going on this morning:

2% of Elon Musk's wealth could solve world hunger says director of UN food scarcity organization

Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 7.44.15 AM.png

Connecting the dots has a new video out that has a chinese hebrew-speaking (with english sub-titles and Connecting the dots commentary as well) reporter getting a tour of Giga Shanghai. Also has some nice comparisons to how Mach-E and a current BMW model (I believe M4? Sorry, I'm not a BMW buff, so don't know their models very well) are manufactured.

I found this article to be interesting.

MarketWatch: Here's the math for Tesla's stock price if it becomes the Apple of car makers.
Here's the math for Tesla's stock price if it becomes the Apple of car makers

And while the estimate seems low, it is truly stunning to think how big Tesla will almost certainly be a decade from now.

This is for 2035...
"On a P/E of 22.5, that would work out to a market cap of $5.6 trillion, and a share price of $4,000."

MarketWatch: Here's the math for Tesla's stock price if it becomes the Apple of car makers.

And while the estimate seems low, it is truly stunning to think how big Tesla will almost certainly be a decade from now.

This is for 2035...
"On a P/E of 22.5, that would work out to a market cap of $5.6 trillion, and a share price of $4,000."
Just make that “3” in “2035” a “2” and I believe they’re on the right track there. 😉

Here's another reminder that if your company depends on chips and you don't have engineers who can manage the coding necessary to move from one chip to another (whether or not they are pin compatible), you might already be screwed.

CNBC: GlobalFoundries CEO: We're sold out of semiconductor chip capacity through 2023.

"But the shortages aren't for the most advanced chips that use the latest manufacturing methods. Instead, the shortages are for what are often called "legacy nodes," or semiconductors that use older technology to perform functions like power management, connecting to displays or enabling wireless connections."

This is for 2035...

Musk has said, in "Before the Flood", that the world needs 100 of these Gigafactories in order to move the world to sustainable transportation. 20 million units from the automotive business...that'd be a quadrupling (at least) of the factories and only be 20% of the total potential EV market (at least in Musk's mind back in 2016).

Sounds like there's a lot of growth ahead!

Edit: To add on, I suppose it makes sense for Tesla to be doing 20% of the output after participating in 80% of the work to get there 😂

Last edited by a moderator:

This is for 2035...
No need to complicate the napkin math with a 14 year forecast.

Simplified version: 50% annual growth for 4 years (through YE 2025), 15% net margin and 100 trailing P/E = ~$4T market cap, even w/o without Tesla network, robots, and other sweeteners:)

Nice deep dive into the main computer of the new S/X. Has similarities to 3/Y; everything is in one case including autopilot computer. Only thing that needs to be swapped out are cell comms depending on country location. Very cool.

Components consist of:
  • The main processor is now an AMD Ryzen YE180FC3T4MFG (4 core 45 watt Ryzen Embedded) 512 KB L2 cache per core, 4 MB L3 cache.
  • The GPU is also an AMD Radeon marked 215-130000026, closest guess is a similar to a Radeon Pro W6600.
  • Wifi/BT Module is an LG Innotek ATC5CPC001
  • Cell Modem is a Quectel AG525R-GL
  • Gateway is still the venerable SPC5748GSMMJ6
  • DSP 1 is an ADSP-SC587W SHARC+ Dual Core DSP with ARM Cortex-A5
  • DSP 2 is an AD21584 SHARC+ Dual Core DSP with ARM Cortex-A5
  • Ethernet Switch is a Realtek RTL9068ABD
  • FSD Autopilot computer

Last edited:
Musk has said, in "Before the Flood", that the world needs 100 of these Gigafactories in order to move the world to sustainable transportation. 20 million units from the automotive business...that'd be a quadrupling (at least) of the factories and only be 20% of the total potential EV market (at least in Musk's mind back in 2016).

Sounds like there's a lot of growth ahead!

Edit: To add on, I suppose it makes sense for Tesla to be doing 20% of the output after participating in 80% of the work to get there 😂
That was from when GF1 was being built (2016). I believe he has revised his estimate down considerably because the current GFs are more efficient and take much less volume (interior space) to do the same job.

Can donating towards a new university be considered a tax writeoff?
If so, this TITS initiative might become very real, with Elon providing billions very soon towards it, in the process paying much less upcoming taxes.
Many of us would happily donate tax-deductible shares to fund that!

Last edited:
It seems WFP doesn’t seem to realize the complexity of the task. Even if you donate them 100B, the complexity to set up supply chains in countries where the infra structure is not there, where corrupt governments are keeping all the international donations in form of administrative fees, where dictatorship disguised as democracies reroute funds and donation for govt official and corrupted leaders, it won’t help all the people in need. Even if you try to teach people how to fish instead of serving them fish everyday on a plate, if the corrupted leader prevents people from fishing in what he declared his lake and each administrative level eat half of the portion of the fish passing back, the problem won’t be solved in some parts of the world unfortunately. Probably one of the most complex task to perform in countries where corruption is at every level of the govt. Even some govt refuse international help when their population is starving and suffering just not to lose face and try to convince they are managing well.

Hope this won’t finish in a Twitter feed blood bath impacting TSLA on Monday :X

Yeah Elon should start (start slow is ok) to do more good deeds to the world's poorest with his wealth, in addition to his current contribution to solving the Global Warming. Some of other billionaires have done a lot, especially Bill Gates and Warren Buffett. But, I do agree with Elon that the money needs to be well spent. I personally don't like the way Bill Gates threw $100 millions to WHO, who did not do jack at the beginning of the covid pandamic, besides acted as a mouth piece.

Last edited:
(What follows is not financial advice, and all numbers are rounded and in nominal Oct 2021 $USD without regard to inflation.)

Dawning Awareness of the Juggernaut
What we are witnessing now I believe is primarily the market waking up to basic facts that were obvious to anyone actually paying attention to the data:

1) Tesla is selling cars far below the market clearing price even though gross margin ex emissions credits is tickling 30% (backlogs of 9-12 months for almost all products they sell)

2) The competition is floundering

3) Tesla's earnings power is going to explode moving forward now that we've hit enough scale to pass the break-even point with fixed costs and as new manufacturing efficiencies come into play in Austin, Berlin and Shanghai

4) Tesla can construct factories faster and cheaper than anyone in the entire manufacturing sector of the world economy

GAAP Earnings per Share EXPLOSION
FY 2018 ($1.1)
FY 2019 ($1)
FY 2020 $0.7
Q3 '21 was $1.6 (that's right, 2.3x the EPS of all of 2020 in one quarter)
> At Friday's $1128 after-hours close, that's annualized P/E of 170

By Q1 '22 it will roughly double again to at least $3
> $1128/share --> annualized P/E of 90

Look forward to Q4 '22 and we've got like $5 EPS
> $1128/share -->annualized P/E 60

Then supply pressures hopefully have eased by 2023/2024ish and Austin and Berlin have ramped substantially. Sometime in 2023 or 2024 quarterly EPS will have doubled again to $10.
> $1128/share --> annualized P/E only 30!!! About equal to Apple's P/E.

And this is just looking at the vehicle business.

What's a Reasonable P/E?
Realistically, P/E is likely to stay well above 100 while earnings grow this quickly.

P/E DCF Derivation
If you have an asset producing an income stream that starts at $1 in Year 1
...that grows 50% annually for 10 years
...then stabilizes for 10 more years
...with an 8% discount rate
---> The net present value of that asset is a whopping $181.

Hmm...that's about the same as the current P/E of 170 that we hit on Friday! This is fundamentally why the P/E for Tesla's growth trajectory will probably be at least 150. The only good reason the P/E would fall is either material increases in interest rates (and thus the discount rate) or an expectation in any year that there isn't a clear path for sustained 50% earnings CAGR for a decade out from that point. Doing a more detailed discounted cash flow analysis for Tesla's earnings growth produces approximately this same result, so this is good enough for rough estimates.

Plus, I believe the potential of FSD and Energy will be increasingly adding to valuation in the coming years. If so, the 50% earnings CAGR projection could be egregiously too conservative.

If that 150 annualized P/E is applied to when quarterly EPS hits $10 in 2023/2024, then we're looking at a $6,000 share price.

Conclusion
I believe any drop in the share price from this level will be a buying opportunity that lasts 6 months at most.

Except for small amounts to fund quitting my job, I'm not f^$%ing selling.
You've changed my mind, I WAS going to sell enough shares at $2000 to recoup my initial investment, now that has changed to $3000

Yeah Elon should start (start slow is ok) to do more good deeds to the world's poorest with his wealth, in addition to his current contribution to solving the Global Warming. Some of other billionaires have done a lot, especially Bill Gates and Warren Buffett. But, I do agree with Elon that the money needs to be well spent. I personally don't like the way Bill Gates threw $100 millions to WHO, who did not do jack at the beginning of the covid pandamic, besides acted as a mouth piece.
Elon's climate initiative prevents crops from dying, millions of poor people from being displaced, and countless conflicts from energy grab. The other billionaires wish they can make this much of an impact on the poor.

This is for 2035...
I dunno. I thought Tesla is already Apple of car makers, though not yet reach its full potential as current Apple. Should take out the "if", and go straight to the calculations.