Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So 6hrs of US spending can solve world hunger all this time but we have to get one guy to do it once he is rich enough?
Whenever someone brings up something like Elon could solve world hunger or homelessness I point out that those are not problems of money but of willingness to act. It would take the willingness of governments across the world to really fix it, throwing more cash at the problem would do very little.

When you contribute, consider yourself lucky if A) the president doesn't abscond with the funds, and B) any money at all goes to the people in need.
All these are true and not new. I am sure WFP is aware and tries their best, and I doubt it can be solved anywhere close to 100%. It will reach the needy, just how much. It does not mean we all should just give up entirely.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Yonki and oldTAVguy
It seems WFP doesn’t seem to realize the complexity of the task. Even if you donate them 100B, the complexity to set up supply chains in countries where the infra structure is not there, where corrupt governments are keeping all the international donations in form of administrative fees, where dictatorship disguised as democracies reroute funds and donation for govt official and corrupted leaders, it won’t help all the people in need. Even if you try to teach people how to fish instead of serving them fish everyday on a plate, if the corrupted leader prevents people from fishing in what he declared his lake and each administrative level eat half of the portion of the fish passing back, the problem won’t be solved in some parts of the world unfortunately. Probably one of the most complex task to perform in countries where corruption is at every level of the govt. Even some govt refuse international help when their population is starving and suffering just not to lose face and try to convince they are managing well.

Hope this won’t finish in a Twitter feed blood bath impacting TSLA on Monday :X

And if tsla goes down on Monday, I bet an army of us will be there to pick it right back up. Myself included.

It does not hurt to do more, only help
I think Elon has seizures at the thought of donating his money because of so few percentage of the dollar goes to actually helping people. This is why he spends his energy doing it himself because his first principle thinking doesn't allow waste. He hates gas engines so much because only a quarter of of energy stored in oil gets used to move the car. He spends every waking hour reducing bloat and unlocked new operating margins no one else thought was possible.

So if Elon were to solve world hunger, he much rather set up his own supply chain and work force to do it. But he can't because his plate is so full with all the programs he has to solve humanities biggest problems from giving quadriplegic their neural function back to human extinction.

Yeah Elon should start (start slow is ok) to do more good deeds to the world's poorest with his wealth, in addition to his current contribution to solving the Global Warming. Some of other billionaires have done a lot, especially Bill Gates and Warren Buffett. But, I do agree with Elon that the money needs to be well spent. I personally don't like the way Bill Gates threw $100 millions to WHO, who did not do jack at the beginning of the covid pandamic, besides acted as a mouth piece.
Elon is doing more good deeds for humanity than any single individual that I can think of. I like the way Elon spends (invests) his money, and his success is reflected in the value of the companies he has created and the improvements they all are or will contribute to the betterment of the quality of our everyday lives. Bill Gates shorted Tesla, and Warren Buffet invests in fossil fuel. Not only are BG or WB not on the same team as Elon, Elon is in a completely different league.

You're welcome, fellow investors :)

1635699799662.png

Can donating towards a new university be considered a tax writeoff?
If so, this TITS initiative might become very real, with Elon providing billions very soon towards it, in the process paying much less upcoming taxes.
Yes.
Let me clarify. In the US.
If you donate the stock, you are credited with the full value of the stock at the time of donation. The receiving institution or charity gets the full value of the funds (which they will likely cash out immediately :(). Unrealized capital gains are then never taxed. You can donate up to 35% of your annual income. This can offset your tax liability. It is not a direct tax credit.

Edited for attempted clarity.

Last edited:
Elon is doing more good deeds for humanity than any single individual that I can think of.
There is no disagreement here. The question is what else can be done to help the poorest. I understand those corrupted goverments are the ones to blame on screwing up their own ppl to begin with, and deter the potential aids out there. They would just block all aids if they don't get a big chunk, no matter thru Humanitaion Orgs or Elon's Org. It's tough problem to solve ....

Last edited:
Remind me again - you trade options why?

1.) I’m a de-jedi-generate gambler like my father before me.

2.) Bored watching the descent from 900 to 550 and slow rise back up over 900 in 7 months time. TSLA did not do much for longs if you were not consistently buying the dip. Buying the dips might not have been possible either if capital was already fully deployed.

3.) Overall portfolio balance with options outperformed a scenario compared to sitting with static shares.

4.) It irritates my wife.

5.) You learn much more about the market and hone your investing craft when +/- 10% swings is an ordinary day.

6.) I'm a smooth brained ape that can't process the security and benefits of "time in market" vs "timing the market".

7.) It irritates my wife's friends and their husbands waiting for me to fail. (HE MUST BE LOSING BIG AND NOT TELLING YOU RIGHT? LOL)

8.) I offer a valuable service by providing liquidity to people like Dr. Burry. If he wants puts, someone has to sell them.

9.) Life is fascinating when you don't know if dinner is going to be Wendy's or steak on any given day.

Whenever someone brings up something like Elon could solve world hunger or homelessness I point out that those are not problems of money but of willingness to act. It would take the willingness of governments across the world to really fix it, throwing more cash at the problem would do very little.
My nephew was giving $30/month to one of those "charities" that feeds poor kids. He went to visit the kid in Chile; their conversations was basically under surveillance, but he learned that the kid got less than $3 out of every $30 he donated. My nephew went out to dinner with the mayor of the town, where he (the mayor, not my nephew) boasted that he'd made over $200,000 from that charity.

So indeed, throwing more cash at the problem would do very little.

Also, (with apologies to the MODs) it grinds my gears to post this OT reply here; isn't there a thread for doing good with our Teslanair fortunes or something? I hope there is, but I am genuinely to stupid to find that thread.

I dunno. I thought Tesla is already Apple of car makers, though not yet reach its full potential as current Apple. Should take out the "if", and go straight to the calculations.
As we all know, Tesla absolutely dominates EVs, but yet to dominate total market share. They'll need to make at least 10M/year to do that I suspect by 2025, but the momentum that is building now is the foreshadowing. I guess the market will just need to see Berlin and Austin fully ramped which I'm targeting Q4 next year to be that moment. Guessing a 2M/year runrate from all factories at that time.

What is going to be truly magical will be the inflection of the switchover to 4680s at volume when 2170s start being less than 50% of total volume production. Huge, crazy, off-the-chart margins. When this happens is more of a SWAG, but hoping for Q4 2022 as well.

I think Zipse wanted to say, but wasn’t able to phrase correcty: BMW will be the first German Automaker to go out of Business, because we always did things the old fashion way and will only change if forced to do so by law, and then it will be to late. Sorry 🤷🏻‍♂️
I think BMW will be the first to do a massive sell off of brands and/or consolidation. Like the Stellantis merger. It could be as early as next year if Q4 sales don't pick up. I think they are on the hairy edge right now. I'd look for rumors of selling off Rolls-Royce as a first step.

Thoughts:

1. Watched who killed the electric car again last night. GM could just start back with the well loved EV1.
2. Philip Fisher in Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits would buy great companies and hold for life.
3. William O'Neil, of IBD fame, studied great investors such as Jack Dreyfus. He noted that Jack bought new highs. Well, guess what we did all last week?