Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
182F7348-441B-4D07-ACE7-CCC4FC586AE6.jpeg
TL.0 in Frankfurt now at $1143

NASDAQ doesn't allow any listed equity to trade below $1.00 for any lenght of time. That's why struggling companies do reverse stock splits, to keep from being delisted.

In the case of TSLA, a split* which brings the SP back into the $100-200 range just before a DJIA/DOW-30 addition would be ideal.

*As a share dividend, of course... ;)

Cheers!
The first comment was in jest. But we can solve the nasdaq issue via a dark pool and fractional share trading.

Global reserve currency just has a nice ring to it.

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
So I know Elon said “not yet” a few weeks ago regarding a split, but things have obviously changed since then.

What are everyone’s guesses as to when Tesla will come out and announce a split, pending shareholder approval (the approval of which is almost certain IMO)?

What exactly does "shareholder approval" mean in this context. When they did the split in August 2020, the announcement read: "Tesla, Inc. (“Tesla”) announced today that the Board of Directors has approved and declared a five-for-one split of Tesla’s common stock in the form of a stock dividend to make stock ownership more accessible to employees and investors. Each stockholder of record on August 21, 2020 will receive a dividend of four additional shares of common stock for each then-held share, to be distributed after close of trading on August 28, 2020. Trading will begin on a stock split-adjusted basis on August 31, 2020."

So it's enough that the board (Board of Directors) approve another split, or does it have to be put to a general shareholder vote?

So it's enough that the board (Board of Directors) approve another split, or does it have to be put to a general shareholder vote?
In theory, like last time, they can announce a split. The problem is that we are running out of "approved" shares. This means that the largest split is something like 1.9:1. To raise the ceiling for max number of shares a shareholders vote would be needed.

What exactly does "shareholder approval" mean in this context. When they did the split in August 2020, the announcement read: "Tesla, Inc. (“Tesla”) announced today that the Board of Directors has approved and declared a five-for-one split of Tesla’s common stock in the form of a stock dividend to make stock ownership more accessible to employees and investors. Each stockholder of record on August 21, 2020 will receive a dividend of four additional shares of common stock for each then-held share, to be distributed after close of trading on August 28, 2020. Trading will begin on a stock split-adjusted basis on August 31, 2020."

You don't need Shareholder approval for a stock split or stock dividend but you do need approval to authorize more shares.
When the Board approved the Stock Dividend last year, there were enough shares authorized to do the split.
Currently though, there are not enough shares authorized.
Here is the situation now (from Tesla's 10Q Balance Sheet . . numbers in millions):

1635763557711.png

There are 1.004 Billion shares outstanding and only 2 Billion shares authorized.
Not enough shares to do a 2 for 1 split. To authorize more shares (and I would think they would want at least another 10 billion shares), they would need shareholder approval.

The coming "second gear" is FSD/Tesla Network. Even well-informed fanboys like me can't fully imagine what a bombshell it will be, much sooner than most folks expect.

I've tried to model Level 5 FSD's impact on Tesla financials but I gave up because every time I try the numbers come out stupid large, even when I try to tune them conservatively.

Now I just ignore robotaxis in my model, when (if?) it happens it will just be a TON of icing on the cake of my Tesla investments.

You don't need Shareholder approval for a stock split or stock dividend but you do need approval to authorize more shares.
When the Board approved the Stock Dividend last year, there were enough shares authorized to do the split.
Currently though, there are not enough shares authorized.
Here is the situation now (from Tesla's 10Q Balance Sheet . . numbers in millions):

View attachment 728010

There are 1.004 Billion shares outstanding and only 2 Billion shares authorized.
Not enough shares to do a 2 for 1 split. To authorize more shares (and I would think they would want at least another 10 billion shares), they would need shareholder approval.
By the way, you don't need to wait for the annual shareholders' meeting to seek approval to authorize more shares.
I believe this can be done anytime with a Consent Solicitation:

Edit: Paging @Knightshade for confirmation as I believe he has done some research here.

TSLA for the last week looks like a Stairway to Heaven. Another gamma squeeze, or something particular this time?

I found this. Hadn’t heard of Ganfeng before.

Ganfeng Lithium Inks Contract With Tesla to Supply Lithium Battery Products​

"Ganfeng Lithium Co. has inked a contract with Tesla Inc. to supply the electric-car maker with battery products from 2022 to 2024.

The Chinese lithium producer and its unit GFL International Co. will supply battery-grade lithium hydroxide products to Tesla, Ganfeng Lithium said Monday."

edit: TSLA>$1150 premarket

TSLA for the last week looks like a Stairway to Heaven. Another gamma squeeze, or something particular this time?

I've been speculating over this and it seems to me that the recent sea change in mainstream media falling in love with Tesla is leading toward that market phenomenon where more and more people are chatting up a particular stock.

Eventually, getting to that point where waitstaff, hairdressers, middle management, and even telephone sanitizers regularly bring up Tesla in casual conversation, and offer unsolicited stock advice to those they encounter. This behavior is often regarded as a sign that a stock has reached its peak when it becomes widespread.

I suspect we still have a long way to go. Years and years. Still, we are seeing a marked shift in perception and building of general awareness, which is a good thing for Tesla, TSLA, and especially for HODLers.