Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
buy union made EV but charge for extra $ at Tesla SC, does the price disparity (overall) go away?
Depends on how often you hit the SC.

I think I’ve spent a grand total of $150 at chargers in 9 months of ownership. Even if I’d paid double it would take a long time to make up that $4500 difference.

Of course… there are no US/ Union made EVs that are remotely appealing to me right now so it’s irrelevant what the savings is.

Reactions: cusetownusa
How do you get that conclusion from that image? Tesla US port is on the other side of tire and the other side of car (when backed in).
View attachment 728153
Mach-E would be connecting to the wrong pedestal.
View attachment 728154

When there's a will, there is often an engineering way.
  1. Turn the charging stands parallel to the parking spaces.
  2. Make the parking spaces drive-through (which also accommodates trailers and trucks).
I've seen that design before. :)

00003575975242.jpg

When there's a will, there is often an engineering way.
  1. Turn the charging stands parallel to the parking spaces.
  2. Make the parking spaces drive-through (which also accommodates trailers and trucks).
I've seen that design before. :)

00003575975242.jpg
There are already some Tesla charging stations which are like this. I think that’s the pattern they are following when they have the space.

Tough part is charger layout isn’t in the app so you don’t know what you get until you are there.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: capster and PeterJA
I don't like any CEO making public the deal or the negotiations that are happening between their clients or partners. It is perfectly fine to be very business like, firm with a no nonsense attitude - behind the scenes - with a prospective client or partner. But keep those private. If I were Hertz CEO, I would be upset with that kind of attitude displayed in public.
Why just for your sake? Hertz did not keep it private. Their ceo was on CNBC pushing the hell out of this news which pumped their stock price up.

Last edited:
I don't think Elon is a someone who can be arm twisted or steamrolled. But keep that brashness between two negotiating parties in private not display it in public. It is just poor manners except in very unique circumstances.
There is no negotiating happening on Elon's part. That's what you seem to be missing.

Why just for your sake? Hertz did not keep it private. They're ceo was on CNBC pushing the hell out of this news which pumped their stock price up.
Did Hertz CEO reveal the pricing for the deal? Did he say they are getting a discount?

Where is the need for either parties to reveal the pricing details of the contract in negotiation to the public, that too on Twitter? Price negotiations (or even an absence of negotiation) are almost always done in confidence. It is simply poor business manners to brag in public when the deal is not yet signed.

Did Hertz CEO reveal the pricing for the deal? Did he say they are getting a discount?

Where is the need for either parties to reveal the pricing details of the contract in negotiation to the public, that too on Twitter? Price negotiations are almost always done in confidence.
It's their prerogative for one thing. Two, ppl just assumed Hertz was getting a deal based on legacy auto history. Musk clarified that there is no discount.

Why exactly are you miffed about this? Who are you to judge exactly?

I cheated and went into margin buying at the last 570 we had. still paying that $2,200 monthly margin cost on that 3.75% interest. I have never been so happy to pay interest on an investment that just hit the +100% milestone today. The positive effect is that I am working to pay slowly that margin back and once I have free cash to invest into TSLA, the stock price will be in the $2,000s

For the amount of margin you seem to be using, you should be able to negotiate around 2%.

Personally, I make no attempt to pay off my margin. As long as my investment grows faster than the margin rate, I'm better off leaving it in TSLA.

I don't think Elon is a someone who can be arm twisted or steamrolled. But keep that brashness between two negotiating parties in private not display it in public. It is just poor manners except in very unique circumstances.
Musk and others have done some public negotiations in the past. For example, the Panasonic relationship has weathered a bit of public negotiations.

They're at the big boys' table, so this is not unexpected.

Edit: I should note that Musk didn't reveal price. Rather, he revealed margin.

Last edited:

Where is the need for either parties to reveal the pricing details of the contract in negotiation to the public, that too on Twitter? Price negotiations (or even an absence of negotiation) are almost always done in confidence. It is simply poor business manners to brag in public when the deal is not yet signed.
The Hertz CEO doesn’t have a waiting list with half a million people anxious that a corporate client with deep pockets is cutting in line and getting a better price.

This isn’t negotiating, this is Musk assuring his customers that they aren’t second fiddle to deep pockets.

272 miles with aero-wheels. Also the 0-60 time is slightly increased from 5.3 seconds to 5.8 seconds. I'm guessing this is an improvement on the original LFP pack that was estimated to have 253 miles?

buws4ieh93x71.jpg
It appears they no longer have an SR+, it’s been re-branded as Model 3 Rear Wheel Drive. Is this new today?

I would not mind if Elon gave a little rebate to Hertz and sold them the car at the price before the last increase, maybe 2k. I would understand that in a large order with a lot of similar configurations, economies of scales from same configuration could be made. However, I think it is better to stay true to all the current customers who have been buying many Teslas, repeatedly and funded the mission, and who never got a rebate. As a share holder I want Hertz to pay as much as possible to improve Tesla margins.
Actually Tesla has famously implemented the Agile methodology *in hardware* (as was explained in one of Joe Justice's YouTube videos - he worked as a consultant at Tesla for some time) - this means each car can (and many are) different; they are able to implement a new design change on ONE car in the production line without affecting the rest or the flow - each car has its virtual image in Tesla database so if something happens, they know exactly the details of that car. This is how they can continually improve their cars ..

So there is no benefit in having a large order as far as manufacturing goes. A case could be made however in the maintenance area, as having Hertz be a central point for all maintenance issues frees up Tesla some.

Now, we are not privy to any of the issues and talks Tesla and Hertz have so it seems futile trying to do backseat driver type comments - unless they have, say an entertaining or educational element ; D

Not sure why there’s any debate here. Tesla is the only one that can fulfill that order size for Hertz. Hertz has no leverage because there’s no one else to buy from. Plus they know their customers will want a good charging network….so again no other option.

And mostly notably, they’ve already advertised that they’ll have Tesla’s to rent…..they’ve backed themselves into a corner. No leverage for pricing and based on Hertz CEO’s own comments, I’d venture to guess the contract isn’t signed yet because Hertz wants more than the 100,000 Model 3’s

Perhaps new supercharger stations could have bollards between spaces to stop this happening... perhaps positioned just so rear doors of Tesla's can open, but stops parking across spaces... hmmm
A better idea is to think ahead to the cybertruck and make some wider spaces, then the people that have to park funky can just use one of the extra wide spaces and the phone app can just refuse to start the charging session if they try to pick a narrow one that would block another.

Beanstalks are ignited to boil beans,
The beans in the pot cry out.
We are born of the selfsame root,
Why should we incinerate each other with such impatience?"
to recall, this is about Elon's Tweet:

From this better resource:

" ..

According to "Shi Shuo Xin Yu" records, Wei Wen Emperor Cao Pi jealous of Cao Zhi 's talents, ordered Cao Zhi to write a poem within seven steps, otherwise Cao Zhi will be executed. Cao Zhi didn't reach seven steps, he chanted the satirical "Seven Step Poems": "Boiled beans hold the soup, the spiny is used as juice, the dichotoma is burned in the kettle, and the beans are weeping in the kettle. They are born from the same root. Why is it too anxious to fry?" [1] In the allusion, idioms such as "seven steps of talent" and "seven steps into poetry" were derived, which describe agile thinking, capable of exporting into chapters and writing into writing; it also derives the "boiled beans burning dichotoma". An idiom to describe siblings.

This poem was passed down to later generations, and a four-sentence version appeared: "Cooking beans burns bean dichotoma, and beans cry in the cauldron. They were born from the same root, so why not fry them too quickly." See also in the novel "The Romance of the Three Kingdoms " [2] , but " "The Romance of the Three Kingdoms" is written in response to the voice rather than seven steps. The spread of "The Romance of the Three Kingdoms" is wider than that of "Shi Shuo Xin Yu". Therefore, the four-sentence version is more familiar than the original six-sentence version.

Since this incident is not seen in the official history of the " Three Kingdoms ", and this poem is not seen in the "Cao Zhi Ji", some people think that this incident is a fiction for later generations, but the fact that there is no official history cannot be asserted as a fiction. Some people think that it is true, but the existing " Seven Steps " is a false trust for future generations. There is another saying that there are two poems in the "Seven Step Poems". The first one is "Two Meats": "The two meats go along the same path, with a concave bone on the head. When they meet under a mountain, they are arrogant. The two enemies are not both strong. A meat lying in the cave. It's not as powerful as it is, and you will not let go." He thinks that Cao Zhi wrote this poem first, and Cao Pi then asked Cao Zhi to write a poem, and the last one was "Boiled Beans." But in any case, the "Seven Steps of Poetry" is widely circulated.

Guo Moruo​

The "Seven Steps" has made people have deep sympathy for Cao Zhi for more than a thousand years, and at the same time have a lot of disgust towards Cao Pi. And Guo views on the "curb Pi Yang Zhi" do not quite agree, he believes Pi in literary criticism and seven-character poetry occupies a position in the history of the mountains for three important period poet , he also cited the Southern Liang theory literary critic Liu Xie says: "Emperor Wen used his position to respect his talents, and Zijian used his power to benefit from the price." He thinks this is a fairer evaluation. Guo Moruo pointed out: "Speaking on the side of the beans, of course, you can feel the stubbornness of the dichotoma, but it is burning the fire; if you stand on the side of the dichotoma, isn't it a manifestation of the spirit of sacrifice?"

Therefore, in 1941, Guo Moruo imitated the "Seven-Step Poem" and wrote a "Poem of Reversal and Peeling"-"Anti-Seven-Step Poem": "Cooking beans burns the bean dichotoma, and the cooked diced bean is gray. The cooked person Xi Shangzhen uses the ashes as Tanaka fertilizer. . Why are you willing to ruin yourself if you don’t grow from the same root?"
etc ( see the link, actually they're fast, back referenced Elon's Tweet - without clarification however.)

So what was on Elon's mind as he quote-renamed that poem ?

Is he turning philosophical and bemoaning the blatant stupidity of so many folks not able to get along, although all Earth beings/
Is he encouraging folks to look deeper into why it is we are so f.ked up fighting wars large and tiny

< another of Elon's mind twisters > <insert your own interpretation/ gripe about humanity>

My two cents / complaint - why do the wealthiest folks and /or folks with most amount of power have such poor taste and judgment, never mind plain common sense, basic morals ?