Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting that shanghai produced more M3 in October than MY. I thought MY production was supposed to be substantially higher?

Yes, very strange. Would be very surprised if they could produce that many Model 3s in a month - it would be a huge jump in daily production rate. The production figures in a couple of weeks should give greater insight.

Reactions: CorneliusXX
It's never a good idea to subsidize behavior that shouldn't be happening. Tesla is going to expand as rapidly as possible and build millions of EV's with or without the subsidies. The speed of their expansion is not limited by money but human resources and perhaps mineral and infrastructure resources. However, the subsidies constitute life support for automakers still cranking out ICE cars by the millions. The goal is to get rid of ICE cars, not extend them into the future as far as possible by keeping companies afloat that are no longer offering the things the market really wants at prices the market can afford. Anything that subsidizes legacy auto is going to extend the amount of time they can continue to sell ICE cars. We should not subsidize unwanted behavior. Sometimes bankruptcy is the best solution.
If only bankruptcy didn't come with an enormous bailout. Wishful thinking, I guess.

Reactions: Duffer
Unlikely as the constraint is Model 3 line production capacity. From the figures over the past few months the MIC 3 line seems to have a capacity of around 800 cars/day. There was a 1 week national holiday in October so 28.9k would be significantly more than 1k/day (assuming there was no significant inventory drawdown - improbable as there was significant drawdown in September as part of the end of quarter push). There have been some rumours of potential capacity increases but from memory this was around a 10-15% increase - to around 6000/week.

These wholesale figures give us a good indication (and it is a very positive indication) of trend but the production figures later this month will allow more precision.

Reactions: chillerjt