Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TLDR:

- diversification is for idiots. And he plays snippets of comments echoing the same from high profile investors including Buffett.

- do your research identify 1 or 2 stocks and stick with it.

- And lastly <drum roll> while he continues to hold his current 95% position of $TSLA, every cent of new money is now going to ARKG (genomics).
A little diversification is generally a good idea, imo. I was 100% all in on Tesla for several years, and it worked out incredibly well, but it's safer and more fun to have a little variety. And occasionally I'll pick a real gem of a stock. Like the IONQ quantum computing stock & call options I bought a month ago.

Please let me know when it goes down then I can buy more, not very interesting until then.

The only reason to buy any stock at any point in time is because it may never be cheaper. TSLA is no different.

I finally bought some Amazon this year, not a lot but I finally broke down and now I own it. It's appreciated over 16% since then. It could still go below my purchase price but that's not a good reason to sell it now. I wanted to buy Amazon when they were just a bookseller but it seemed far over-priced. I wanted to buy them when they expanded out of books but AMZN still seemed over-priced. There were some dips but none of them seemed to make the price cheap enough. By waiting until 2021 to buy it I've left around $5-$10 million on the table. I would strongly suggest picking some TSLA up before Tesla has profitable divisions beyond auto manufacturing. Because TSLA is probably not much different.

The only reason to buy any stock at any point in time is because it may never be cheaper. TSLA is no different.

I finally bought some Amazon this year, not a lot but I finally broke down and now I own it. It's appreciated over 16% since then. It could still go below my purchase price but that's not a good reason to sell it now. I wanted to buy Amazon when they were just a bookseller but it seemed far over-priced. I wanted to buy them when they expanded out of books but AMZN still seemed over-priced. There were some dips but none of them seemed to make the price cheap enough. By waiting until 2021 to buy it I've left around $5-$10 million on the table. I would strongly suggest picking some TSLA up before Tesla has profitable divisions beyond auto manufacturing. Because TSLA is probably not much different.
Take them profits and run. I've been stuck in Amazon for long periods in the past and do not relish ever jumping back in it.

[OT] re politically biased posts not being acceptable in this forum: I am amusingly reminded that one of my best friends of decades is at a complete opposite spectrum of mine both politics and religion wise. Funny thing is we know that and we may taunt ea other jokingly every once in a while, but somehow our other common interests and friendship override it all. This is also what polite folks agree to do for the sake of good manners in civilized society. With national variations/ colors of course.

The real reason is .. .we all have limited energy/ time to re-examine our own positions, it would be impossible to function were we to re-think all our established views. Personally, once in a while - maybe once a year I make it a point to get totally drunk just to be sure I'm not stuck .. not that this is any guarantee of anything, but in an altered state all argumentation becomes more benign.

OK. Bed time, 9/12 got me quite amused, good for dreams as I'm heavily biased derivatively speaking ; )

I can't wait until these dinosaurs (Ford and GM) die out. It is clear they are playing a pretend game when it comes to EVs. They are the problem, NOT part of the solution. They make promises funny noises about EVs while their output is still 99% ICE.
If SMR is right, they both will be bankrupt before the decade is over and we can finally forget about the ICE-age they represent (and try to prolong as long as they can).
Wish there was a hibernation technology so I could sleep through a decade without getting older -- it would probably be good for my investment portfolio too as I could not mess it up by unnecessary trading, just plain ol' HODL.
it’s not surprising they continue churning their system that tesla has already disrupted.

the more dumb money flows into their products and stock, the less wiggle room they have on the next turn.

they can take advantage of the adoption curve at this stage, but the mistakes that landed them in this position were made long ago. as with everything, kicking the can increases their time, but more importantly, the difficulty.
as you move up the curve the participants are armed with more knowledge and spend their dollar more wisely.

many stakeholders within may realize there’s an issue, and to varying degrees. but none of them (even groups of them) have the power to overcome their predicament (quarterlies/shareholders/etc etc.)
of course the current regime will be long gone, and the next will pay for it.

at this rate, their best long-term hope (sans nationalizing) is capitalizing on breakthrough innovation, unsurprisingly, from the company they’ve been trying to stifle for the last 10 years…but maybe im cynical.

Here's SMR's coverage of the Joe Justice interview someone posted earlier. A condensed version of the looooong interview for consumption of many key points in half an hour.

My question is, What would happen if many/most UAW members were to watch this?

How would they feel about Tesla employment vs.:
their current working arrangement​
what the Union does for them in order to justify their union dues​
how their employer treats them in comparison to how Tesla treats their folks​

At a wild guess I would expect such a seed being planted would grow into a thorn bush in regard to their soon-to-be-lost love of UAW and legacy OEMs.

But for @StealthP3D to pull up my old posts in some weird way to discredit and devalue my opinion is straight up weird. Especially as things are easy to see through a retrospectiscope.

To be absolutely clear, I didn't "pull up (your) old posts" (plural), it was a single post that I quoted. And your puts were merely incidental, it was your 'care bear' concern that Tesla had demand problems and the Model Y would not be a good seller because it was too ugly.

Sorry if that offended you.

I think you're right. I highly doubt there will be a stock split on or announced on 12/9/2021 but, if there is, I'm going to be frickin' amazed!
Same here. I can't believe that guy went through all that trouble for a few Tweets. I'll buy him a beer of he's right though!

I think you're right. I highly doubt there will be a stock split on or announced on 12/9/2021 but, if there is, I'm going to be frickin' amazed!
The beauty of throwing out random predictions like this is if you are wrong nobody remembers, if you are right, you can talk up how awesome your numerological skills are for decades to come.

The beauty of throwing out random predictions like this is if you are wrong nobody remembers, if you are right, you can talk up how awesome your numerological skills are for decades to come.
Like the opposite of doomsday predictors. If they are wrong, they are the laughing stock. If they are right, they're dead.

Elon Musk's emoji reply to a tweet that referred to a video in which a speaker made these comments during an EV event earlier today:
“Detroit’s leading the world in electric vehicles.”
"You changed the whole story."
“You did, Mary (Barra); you electrified the entire automobile industry.”
“You led, and it matters.”

[Politically-charged video deleted]

Last edited by a moderator:
1637215664466.png

Oh no - not true. The internet never forgets and 12/09 is not that far away! If he is wrong, no one is going to let him forget it!
But if he is right - agree with others - that would be freaking amazing skills of deduction!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Oh no - not true. The internet never forgets and 12/09 is not that far away! If he is wrong, no one is going to let him forget it!
But if he is right - agree with others - that would be freaking amazing skills of deduction!

I find myself believing this too - simply because it is such an Elon thing to do - brilliant and quirky at the same time!
Who was it tossing around the 11/11 nonsense just a couple of days ago? I sure don’t recall.

Elon Musk's emoji reply to a tweet that referred to a video in which a speaker made these comments during an EV event earlier today:
“Detroit’s leading the world in electric vehicles.”
"You changed the whole story."
“You did, Mary (Barra); you electrified the entire automobile industry.”
“You led, and it matters.”

All the while made more ironic by the fact that GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz publicly credited Tesla for doing this very thing as he departed GM.

Macros jus' gettin' warmed up... :D

Nasdaq 100 Dec 21 (NQ=F)​

CME Delayed Price. Currency in USD
16,392.50 +81.00 (+0.50%)

TSLA Pre-Market Quotes Live​

This page refreshes every 30 seconds.
Data last updated Nov 18, 2021 05:36 AM ET.
Consolidated Last Sale$1,101.89 +12.88 (+1.18%)
Pre-Market Volume57,771
Pre-Market High$1,104.44 (04:01:20 AM)
Pre-Market Low$1,093.64 (04:22:07 AM)

Cheers!