Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Better yet, ask them to calculate how much time they spend at the gas station each year for their weekly gasup. Then compare that number to the hour spent supercharging once or twice a year. If time is money, how can you not buy an electric car?
For me it's closer to 100 road trip Superchargers per year, but the majority (80% or so) are more like ten of fifteen minutes, with the remainder being around 45 minutes. So just taking trips into account, the time spent on any particular trip is really the same as when I was driving ICE vehicles. There's just not enough difference to worry about.

Does anyone have a doc or link that shows major auto manufactures numbers in one place? I am trying to make the case for Tesla. Innovation, vertical integration, Gigacasting, 4680, and production ramp isn’t getting through to them. I need some icing on the cake.

Currently trying to build a chart for global units sales, 2020 revenue/net profit, total/net debt, auto/operating margin, ad spending, and 2020/2019 quarterly profit. For VW Group, Toyota, Daimler, Ford, GM, Stellantis, Honda, Hyundai, Nissan, BMW, Volvo, and Peugeot. It’s taking a long time as one might expect.

Added 300 shares today by exercising a few deep in the money options a tad early.

It was 5 call options for Dec10, but sold 1 for some decent profit to gather enough powder to exercise the options. Left one intact just so we can see what happens Dec 9. :D

Could have waited to Dec 9, but it wouldn't make much difference as options are expiring next day and any increase were unlikely to make up enough for exercising more of them. So took advantage of the profit that goes against some losses I had earlier in the year for out of money calls.

Yeah you lost me after saying you Added 300 Shares. :) Congrats on the shares and whatever you did to get them. 🍻🍻

Are you saying a division of Ford actually hold legal title to all those ICE cars they financed and leased? What is the average age of all these cars they could be on the hook for once values start dropping again?

I had assumed they had sold off the loans and leases to finance companies so all those aging ICE cars did not become a liability. This is very relevant to TSLA because it affects how quickly they might fail.

I don't follow Ford's lease arrangement closely enough to offer a strong opinion. Most legacy car companies have ownership of their leasing companies, but I don't claim to know how the books work for reporting income or claiming liabilities. @jbcarioca had some relevant comments earlier today, perhaps he'd be in a better position to answer your questions.

Seems to me on the face of it that if the hundreds of billion of dollars in long-term debt that Ford is carrying likely does include its car finance loans, but if not then they are really SOL... :p

Cheers!

Just got to thinking about how tomorrow is Saturday. Weekends are such a bore. 😴💤

Next week is going to be worse, there's a dad-gum holiday in it.

I don't care for holidays even more,... ever since buying TSLA. ;)

Thanksgiving is a good time to give thanks for whatever we have, regardless of whether TSLA is trading in the $1300's come Thanksgiving, or back into the $1000's. Everything is not about money and, those lucky enough to be able to get together with family or old friends can be thankful for that and be generous with our time and whatever talents we have.

Clearly you’ve never had a window switch fail on you going through a drive-through with the window stuck in the open position when it was -40 degrees out. Then faced with a 120km drive to the nearest service centre. I think it was -25C for the drive. The plastic I taped to the opening didn’t last even a quarter of the trip. Just sayin’.

It was a VW. Diesel. They’re still not forgiven. For the lies. Or for the window. Go Tesla!
Nice that you didn't have to translate -40° C into Fahrenheit for all our friends south of the border, @bpjod . In any country, -40° C is...

giphy.gif

(apologies to all our female members!)

Does anyone have a doc or link that shows major auto manufactures numbers in one place? I am trying to make the case for Tesla. Innovation, vertical integration, Gigacasting, 4680, and production ramp isn’t getting through to them. I need some icing on the cake.

Currently trying to build a chart for global units sales, 2020 revenue/net profit, total/net debt, auto/operating margin, ad spending, and 2020/2019 quarterly profit. For VW Group, Toyota, Daimler, Ford, GM, Stellantis, Honda, Hyundai, Nissan, BMW, Volvo, and Peugeot. It’s taking a long time as one might expect.

It sounds like you are trying to herd cats. Everyone knows that is not possible. I think in the long run, it's better if the people who benefit from an investment in TSLA are those who saw the light without excessive hand-holding.

On the other hand, making the case that EV's are better to own and drive than a gas car is a worthwhile endeavor. That TSLA is a good investment, I wouldn't try too hard unless they are the curious ones.

The most impressive thing about today's move.....the volume.

Only 16 million shares traded so far and most of the rally actually came on less than 7 million shares traded. The initial jump was from just 300k in buy orders which made the stock jump over 1%. The action today tells me the float is extremely tight, even with Elon selling :oops:

Last edited:
Thanksgiving is a good time to give thanks for whatever we have, regardless of whether TSLA is trading in the $1300's come Thanksgiving, or back into the $1000's. Everything is not about money and, those lucky enough to be able to get together with family or old friends can be thankful for that and be generous with our time and whatever talents we have.
And, if you don't have family or friends, but have TSLA, you can probably buy some friends. I guess that is something to be thankful for too!

Apologies if someone made this point already...

I think the recent GM/POTUS lovefest is actually a trap for legacy OEMs with all this public aggrandizement of Ford/GM etc. and giving them credit for their leadership it makes it harder for them later when they are ... looking for a bailout, not meeting the objectives as a "leader" .. Tesla is like "A" student , they don't need to be pulled along by the govt ...

and we get the bonus narrative of Tesla still an underdog ....

It sounds like you are trying to herd cats. Everyone knows that is not possible. I think in the long run, it's better if the people who benefit from an investment in TSLA are those who saw the light without excessive hand-holding.

On the other hand, making the case that EV's are better to own and drive than a gas car is a worthwhile endeavor. That TSLA is a good investment, I wouldn't try too hard unless they are the curious ones.
Whatever you wanna call it, I’m talking to people who are very risk-averse. Hard numbers should greatly change their perspective. All they have so far is me running my mouth off about a battery cell and a giant piece of aluminum that they have no idea what it means for the future.

Whatever you wanna call it, I’m talking to people who are very risk-averse. Hard numbers should greatly change their perspective. All they have so far is me running my mouth off about a battery cell and a giant piece of aluminum that they have no idea what it means for the future.
Stop trying to convince them then......?
You can only change yourself, free will and all.

If they are risk averse why would they listen to you .. probably wasting your time ... they need to spend a week in a Tesla ... tell them to rent a model 3 from hertz for a week that is all they will need to be convinced ... saves a lot of dubious spreadsheet analysis ...
or better yet have theme read this thread , listen to Dave Lee, SMR, Good Soil , Tesla Economist . etc

that way you are not perceived as trying to benefit yourself