Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LEDs don't run off the 12v power supply. They're closer to 4v, so there's a dc-dc converter powering those lights.

Don't expect any difference simply due to a 16v bus; the brightness of the dash lights is a separate issue.
OT-There are no dash lights in my Tesla it was a trick comment:) /S Most interior LEDs are 12V and Tesla supply voltage is 12V on those lines, not sure why they would have a DC/DC on each circuit when 12V LEDS are common except for bus control which they do on some items.

Reactions: Captkerosene
Can't wait for brighter dash lights:) 16V
OMG that being back memories. Tesla doesn't use incandescents, but the body module durability testing for OEMs that do burns through soooo many bulbs due to the 16V Umax operating test point.

Regarding use of LEDs and converters. Single LEDs prefer a constant current source or a somewhat regulated voltage rail and a resistor (lower voltage DC-DC rail can boost efficiency). For backlight situations (which Tesla only has in the displays), they may use boost converters to ensure the same current in the LEDs for color matching. High brightness (headlamps) may also be boost due to the high wattage dies being arrays of LED chips.

They’re not building anything there?
Seems to me that Elon was turned off by the initial German govt EV subsidy that clearly sought to favor VW and hinder domestic Tesla sales. I think it has since been modified, but any plan for expansion in Berlin after phase 1 has been put on hold.

I bet they'll continue to manufacture/assemble in Germany to varying degrees, and will still seek to design in Germany, but cell and major expansion of production goes to Poland or some other cheap Texas-style hands off country.

I like that Elon keeps the plan flexible. You try to lean on him and the repercussions will be felt. (see: Panasonic, state of Nevada with SolarCity, etc)

These little govt attempts to favor VW will cost Germany a couple tens of thousands of jobs in the end.

They’re not building anything there?
Of course, but not ‘relying’ on it. Are they? Pretty sure Shanghai is killing it, still expanding production, and would be more than happy to continue to dominate and flood Europe with Chinese made Teslas. Germany can drag its feet until Hell freezes over or Covid lockdowns kill their auto industry; Tesla will just keep chugging along. Therefore, I continue to disagree with your opinion that Covid or whatever in Germany is going to negatively impact TSLA or Tesla.

Although rare, at times @Krugerrand can lean ever so slightly toward sarcasm in a response.
Understood.
Of course, but not ‘relying’ on it. Are they? Pretty sure Shanghai is killing it, still expanding production, and would be more than happy to continue to dominate and flood Europe with Chinese made Teslas. Germany can drag its feet until Hell freezes over or Covid lockdowns kill their auto industry; Tesla will just keep chugging along. Therefore, I continue to disagree with your opinion that Covid or whatever in Germany is going to negatively impact TSLA or Tesla.
that’s what makes a market I guess.

Good Morning everyone. My neighbor just told me about the market selloff today, and I forgot it was a trading day. Initially concerned TSLA might get hit especially hard on a macro dip... come to find it's nothing unusual and just tracking the macros - seems unusual for TSLA. It either behaves like a regular stock, or it has fits of bipolar swings.

So now, when Mr Market acts up, I tell my car to take me somewhere. Seriously, FSD 10.5 is that good. Not ready wide use as it seems to be trying to figure out a few new line markings around Az, but it always seems to correct on the spot and only a matter of time now. Sometimes it's correcting mid right-turn realizing it's a bit close to the curb - very human like. No FSD wheel scrapes yet (to compliment my existing little niks).

That tweet yesterday animating the differences in Beta 10.5 likely made all the difference. Makes me wonder, how did FSD work with nearby object disappearing in the first place? Maybe I misunderstood the post. Seems like a good time to test Beta since that upgrade. I might have to strap on my camera and post some drives locally in Chandler... the home of Waymo. They need to know we're here.

I realize that FSD can easily go OT, so I'll try to curb my enthusiasm here and stick to key points occasionally as it might affect changing value, if not just to validate changes with an honest opinion. Speaking of stock, besides FSD sales or subscription revenue, have the analysts baked in rideshare or licenses to other companies yet? I'm thinking not yet bc recent estimates are less than $5,000 a share still - I am seriously not worried about TSLA long run.
Thanks for the review!
I watch a fair amount of FSD videos, but... some are very hype-ish, some are FUDdish - hard to get a good sense of the real, incremental improvements. Good to hear from some trustworthy TMC'ers!

(On-topic weekend diversion)

Oftentimes in this thread, people coyly suggest how many shares they own, or at least how many they recently purchased ("Just picked up 50 more chairs on the dip!!"). Others give opinions evidently based on years of investing experience. I'm always curious about the experience behind all the opinions, and I'm guessing you are too. And - let's be honest - I want to know where my TSLA investments fit in compared to those of others on the forum! Well, guess no more.

..... TMC investor survey

This 10 multiple-choice question survey is in Google Forms because we need several questions to effectively profile the community. It's anonymous so I don't believe there's any way for someone to maliciously connect your response with your personal finances - in other words, you're not putting your investments at risk (anyone correct me if I'm wrong). Summary results are visible after completing.

Please fill in - thank you!

1637953314341.png

Last edited:
As always, follow the money.

CNET is NOT independent...it is owned by CBS.

CBS gets a lot of ad money from automakers.....but 0 from Tesla.
FYI CNET is no longer owned by CBS as of about 18 months ago. Owned by Red Ventures. Doesn't necessarily mean you are incorrect about your conclusion, just a detail that may, or may not, matter.

Oftentimes in this thread, people coyly suggest how many shares they own, or at least how many they recently purchased ("Just picked up 50 more chairs on the dip!!"). Others give opinions evidently based on years of investing experience. I'm always curious about the experience behind all the opinions, and I'm guessing you are too. And - let's be honest - I want to know where my TSLA investments fit in compared to those of others on the forum! Well, guess no more.

This 10 multiple-choice question survey is in Google Forms because we need several questions to effectively profile the community. It's anonymous so I don't believe there's any way for someone to maliciously connect your response with your personal finances - in other words, you're not putting your investments at risk (anyone correct me if I'm wrong). Summary results are visible after completing.

1637953314341.png
Nice try (that’s not facetious), but I can guarantee you that esp. some of the larger investors here would be doxxing themselves simply by the characteristic nature of the answers to the combination of questions. For instance, were I to report that anonymous me owns 7 million shares AND bought in 4Q2012 AND don’t trade AND…so forth, then everyone who follows the long-timers would figure out it’s me.
And yes, that last one is facetious. Why would I bother with such a puny number of shares?

Forward Observing

Tesla has gone into overdrive for end of 4Q21.

End of October finally got kids to order their MY ~ Production/delivery out in June 2022.

The turkey fell onto the floor this morning ~ Email from TSLA said delivery on 4Dec21. Looks like getting out the higher end models before end of year. Our daughter’s birthday is the 7th ~ could have waited a day or so.

They are excited and I am as happy as a pig eating . . . Only gained four tenths after thanksgiving dinner.

Once again doing our small footprint dance. Do not tell my wife I know how to dance.🤫

Nice try (that’s not facetious), but I can guarantee you that esp. some of the larger investors here would be doxxing themselves simply by the characteristic nature of the answers to the combination of questions. For instance, were I to report that anonymous me owns 7 million shares AND bought in 4Q2012 AND don’t trade AND…so forth, then everyone who follows the long-timers would figure out it’s me.
And yes, that last one is facetious. Why would I bother with such a puny number of shares?

Thanks for the feedback, Audubon. You have a much better memory than I do, since I can't remember much beyond people's avatars and their country! I can't remember who are the lawyers, the engineers, the accountants (well, except for the obvious ;). More importantly, if I have been discreet on the forum and have not revealed any of the things you mention (really? you have 7 million shares?? ;) this survey is a simple way to give insight on our collective profile without revealing personal information. It's up to you to share as little or as much as you like on the forum. The poll itself doesn't reveal any of that individually.

We're up to 25 responses in half an hour. If we get to 100, I can do some rudimentary analytics, like "how many bought a Tesla before they bought TSLA?", "how many >20-30 year-olds are Teslanaires?", and "what % of those with >1,000 shares are 95% invested in TSLA?", none of which are evident from the raw results.

So please, pitch in!

TMC investors survey

Thank you.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review!
I watch a fair amount of FSD videos, but... some are very hype-ish, some are FUDdish - hard to get a good sense of the real, incremental improvements. Good to hear from some trustworthy TMC'ers!
Thanks, it did have a hiccup since, exact same setup and location. I draw attention to this fact as I’m learning the spots myself. Just like getting FSD years ago, we learned what to watch for until it was no more. Like when merging became a breeze but not at first, remember? Sharp corners at first ha!
So glad I’m finally able to help out. Gotta find more spots, new job.

1637953314341.png
Two questions about your survey:
1. Our investments are spread over a joint brokerage account and two Roth IRA's. I did calculations based on total household investments, etc. Is that correct or should I edit to show only my portion.
2. Please explain the last optional question. I don't mind providing my TMC ID, but I do not want everyone on the forum to know the answers to the questions. (Except for the one about when I bought my first Tesla!)

Maybe I should have done this by message, but others may be wondering the same issues.

Reactions: MikeC and Lessmog