Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two questions about your survey:
1. Our investments are spread over a joint brokerage account and two Roth IRA's. I did calculations based on total household investments, etc. Is that correct or should I edit to show only my portion.
2. Please explain the last optional question. I don't mind providing my TMC ID, but I do not want everyone on the forum to know the answers to the questions. (Except for the one about when I bought my first Tesla!)

Maybe I should have done this by message, but others may be wondering the same issues.
I thought the same, so I didn't answer it.

(On-topic weekend diversion)

Oftentimes in this thread, people coyly suggest how many shares they own, or at least how many they recently purchased ("Just picked up 50 more chairs on the dip!!"). Others give opinions evidently based on years of investing experience. I'm always curious about the experience behind all the opinions, and I'm guessing you are too. And - let's be honest - I want to know where my TSLA investments fit in compared to those of others on the forum! Well, guess no more.

..... TMC investor survey

This 10 multiple-choice question survey is in Google Forms because we need several questions to effectively profile the community. It's anonymous so I don't believe there's any way for someone to maliciously connect your response with your personal finances - in other words, you're not putting your investments at risk (anyone correct me if I'm wrong). Summary results are visible after completing.

Please fill in - thank you!

1637953314341.png
Sorry, the combination of questions makes me uncomfortable...

Oftentimes in this thread, people coyly suggest how many shares they own, or at least how many they recently purchased ("Just picked up 50 more chairs on the dip!!"). Others give opinions evidently based on years of investing experience. I'm always curious about the experience behind all the opinions, and I'm guessing you are too. And - let's be honest - I want to know where my TSLA investments fit in compared to those of others on the forum! Well, guess no more.

This 10 multiple-choice question survey is in Google Forms because we need several questions to effectively profile the community. It's anonymous so I don't believe there's any way for someone to maliciously connect your response with your personal finances - in other words, you're not putting your investments at risk (anyone correct me if I'm wrong). Summary results are visible after completing.

1637953314341.png
I can only imagine this would give me an even greater inferiority complex than I already have.

Two questions about your survey:
1. Our investments are spread over a joint brokerage account and two Roth IRA's. I did calculations based on total household investments, etc. Is that correct or should I edit to show only my portion.
2. Please explain the last optional question. I don't mind providing my TMC ID, but I do not want everyone on the forum to know the answers to the questions. (Except for the one about when I bought my first Tesla!)

Maybe I should have done this by message, but others may be wondering the same issues.

Thanks for this, @JimS.

If you're filling in for two combined investment portfolios, but your partner doesn't participate on TMC (and therefore wouldn't be able to contribute their own profile individually), then let's agree you pool your investments as if you were representing one "household". Either that, or use a different browser session and fill in once for each of you.

For the second question, I don't think others can see the individual responses (i.e. which avatar contributed which answers), so it occurs to me now that question doesn't really accomplish much except that others are made aware this person is represented in the data. I can validate that this ID gave these responses in the survey, but then, if you really wanted, you could just post that personal detail yourself! I promise not to post who gave which answers should you choose to volunteer your TMC ID.

I spent a quite bit of time thinking of the questions (I've had this idea for several months - I'm a data guy after all), but I realize that I could have put fewer questions or more and people could equally have pointed out limitations. It's a balance of convenience and granularity. I wanted it to be quick and simple to complete, to maximize contributions.

I did another buying factors poll years ago that was fun too - I wonder how different the answers would be now?

1637961143605.png

Reactions: MikeC
This subsidy application withdrawal seems like it has to be tied to the transition from provisional to final factory approval. Because of the amount, it carries the flavour of some kind of implicit ultimatum. This is based on nothing but intuition. If so, the details may exist some place in German bureaucratic procedures
From memory .....

There is supposed to be an internationally accepted common definition of what constitutes Research & Development. I think for OECD countries and also accepted into WTO/GATT. The EU definition conforms to this. (If you dig real deep you will find that accounting standards also conform).

Subsidies are permitted for R&D, but not for manufacturing. (Except in some particular cases for disadvantaged regions etc etc under structural adjustment funding yada yada).

But if all the R&D got done at Kato Rd, and no uncertainty was left (evidence = simul roll-out at both Austin and Berlin) then this comes outside the R&D definition.

So no subsidy allowed to Berlin per EU rules (which can be traced back to OECD).

So if they had gotten the cell building done faster and the mchy in faster then they might have made it under the wire. Except that funds committed prior to grant approval are ineligible for matching subsidy .........

Funny what you get to learn as an engineer these days.

Just my 2euc, imho

Thought this MAD MAX conversion of a Model 3 was rad, and well made video presentation. Enjoy.

"Tesla has been forced to turn down more than €1.1bn in European subsidies for its planned battery plant near Berlin after delays to the flagship project breached a key condition of the funding. The electric car maker had applied for the money through an EU programme established to develop the battery industry on the continent. The EU requires any sites in receipt of the funds to be the “first industrial deployment” of the technology, according to official documents, meaning the batteries cannot already be made at another Tesla plant."

"But legal challenges to the construction of the plant, which will produce cars first before making batteries, have delayed its opening by several months. That means the company, whose valuation hit $1tn earlier this year, is likely to begin producing the same batteries elsewhere sooner."

You are really misinformed... You don't even know MOD: First, use more than a small amount of graciousness if you want to remain able to participate in this forum, and second, CUT THE FOUL LANGUAGE NOW AND FOR EVER a SOC is. It has the gpu on die and the gpu does not max out at 175w, facepalm. The whole SOC is limited by its designed TDP. The AMD SOC is so stupidly superior to the Intel Atom setup, making this out to be some BS negative is downright misinformation. The Zen architecture is highly scalable in regards to TDP. And where have the specs been published for you to make up these numbers with?

Interesting notes for those interested.

Why did Tesla drop Nvidia?

Guess who was brought into help design lead the Neural Network?

Makes sense that they'd eventually switch to AMD doesn't it?

From the AnandTech interview w/ Jim Keller*, great tidbit about his sting at Tesla where we know Elon is for warp speed everything: " .. Then I jumped to AMD I guess, and that was fun for a while. Then I went to Tesla where we delivered Hardware 3 (Tesla Autopilot). So that was kind of phenomenal. From a standing start to driving a car in 18 months - I don't think that's ever been done before, and that product shipped really successfully. They built a million of them last year. "

(*) Jim Keller is the giant innovator in chip design, he's so good he doesn't work for any company he isn't interested in. Elon of course had (usual) to recruit the best of the best (same as at SpaceX w/ Tom Mueller and others at Tesla *after* the original founder's near complete failure/ bankruptcy)

Nice try (that’s not facetious), but I can guarantee you that esp. some of the larger investors here would be doxxing themselves simply by the characteristic nature of the answers to the combination of questions. For instance, were I to report that anonymous me owns 7 million shares AND bought in 4Q2012 AND don’t trade AND…so forth, then everyone who follows the long-timers would figure out it’s me.
And yes, that last one is facetious. Why would I bother with such a puny number of shares?
drat, 7,000,000 shares, whatta piker, and me with _only_ 2.5 “big blocks”, ‘tail gunner charlie’ that i am. 😎☀️😛😎

• Funny
Reactions: jbcarioca

1637953314341.png
Sorry to anyone who saw "placeholder." Anyway, I like anonymous games like these. However:

I have more in options than shares. Why not just total investment?

The tiers stop too low. Should include $100M/100k, probably $300M and even $1B. Would be cool to know that there's (purported) billionaires here. Don't see why there shouldn't be.

Too many mandatory questions.

Questions about selling shares should be reframed as core shares. Someone trading options or extra shares is always buying and selling.

Last edited:
Sorry to anyone who saw "placeholder." Anyway, I like anonymous games like these. However:

I have more in options than shares. Why not just total investment?

The tiers stop too low. Should include $100M/100k, probably $300M and even $1B. Would be cool to know that there's (purported) billionaires here. Don't see why there shouldn't be.

Too many mandatory questions.

Questions about selling shares should be reframed as core shares. Someone trading options or extra shares is always buying and selling.
Thanks @mrmage . Those are valid issues, so it's my ignorance showing as I don't trade options and don't know what to ask. I have the one question about if you trade options, (so far 40% of us), that's all. If you could give me other question(s), I can add them (it's a problem changing existing questions as it messes up our 101 responses so far). Or we can do a follow-up poll on option trading.

So far only 10% have more than 10,000 shares, so I don't think we're giving up much reporting not having higher brackets - do you?