Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
đź‘€ What if instead of going public on it's own, Tesla were to buy majority stake in Starlink? Adam Jonas would probably give us a $5k TSLA PT. Jokes aside, there could be some synergies there. Elon could retain effective control, while spinning off cash for SpaceX. Plus he has said in the past that he likes the idea of a holding company for all of his businesses.
1638211708678.png

đź‘€ What if instead of going public on it's own, Tesla were to buy majority stake in Starlink? Adam Jonas would probably give us a $5k TSLA PT. Jokes aside, there could be some synergies there. Elon could retain effective control, while spinning off cash for SpaceX. Plus he has said in the past that he likes the idea of a holding company for all of his businesses.
View attachment 738690
At that point, it's better for Tesla to just straight up buy SpaceX and Starlink to get them under one umbrella company. Tesla could just offer stock to do the buyouts. Might as well put Boring company under the umbrella as well.

Tesla as a company has grown enough and generating enough cashflow to support those businesses without it ever threatening Tesla's core business. We keep wondering what Tesla is going to do with the growing pile of cash (that will grow rapidly in 2022)......well that should do it ;)

FUD? There is no need or expectation that the bed should be Aluminum.

View attachment 738641
Elon & Tesla itself have said CT will not be mass produced in 2022, so it’s not really FUD is it? In fact the 12-14 month “production Intent“ timeline I think is pretty good news, implying production might start ramping so where between Nov 2022 - Jan 2023 (Assuming this supplier actually lands the contract).

At that point, it's better for Tesla to just straight up buy SpaceX and Starlink to get them under one umbrella company. Tesla could just offer stock to do the buyouts. Might as well put Boring company under the umbrella as well.

Tesla as a company has grown enough and generating enough cashflow to support those businesses without it ever threatening Tesla's core business. We keep wondering what Tesla is going to do with the growing pile of cash (that will grow rapidly in 2022)......well that should do it ;)
I don’t think Elon would ever agree to have his Mars effort publicly listed and within easy reach of a boneheaded SEC decision that would cause him to lose control.

I could always share the output with Dave Lee or Rob Maurer..?
;)

PS When I get a chance in the next day or so, I'm going to follow-up with analysis on risk - what % are leveraged by # of shares / age / profession? any suggestions / requests? I was wondering if / how the risk profile varied by, for example, country, but I didn't subject us to identifying which country we're from.

Also, I'd be happy to run a follow-up survey oriented around options trading, but I need concrete suggestions as I just don't know the subtleties (thx for your inputs @pz1975, @elasalle, @Lycanthrope ) - what are the questions and what are the optional responses (picklist)? I can create a separate thread to help draft this if there's interest.
You're compiling a lot of information here... and planning to make it public and publicized too. How does it benefit us forum members? We're not outsmarting ourselves somehow that your survey info could more easily be used against us, are we?

I guess we're gonna see what somebody else can do with out data...

Do I worry too much?

Last edited:
I don’t think Elon would ever agree to have his Mars effort publicly listed and within easy reach of a boneheaded SEC decision that would cause him to lose control.
I'd have to disagree. The SEC is rather toothless and there are quite a few ways even in that scenario to get SpaceX out of the SEC's grasp by spinning it off.

I'd argue Tesla buying SpaceX/Starlink actually would give Elon more control of SpaceX in the future. SpaceX is going to need to go through many......many more rounds of funding because of how cash intensive their expansion is going to be. And we're not talking small amount of funding/dilution. It's going to be very large amounts.

Elon is going to be materially diluted over the next 3-5 years in terms of the percentage of SpaceX he owns. By Tesla buying SpaceX now, it's a one time dilution event for Elon with much smaller dilution and then Tesla's excess cash, which we know will be massive every quarter after 2022, can go to funding SpaceX developments

In addition to that, think of all the cross collaboration is likely going to happen in the future between Tesla and SpaceX. Tesla can create vehicles for Mars surface in addition to robotics/humanoids to do labor on future Mars installations. There's a ton of middle ground between the two companies.

Last edited:
Issue the permits and allow Tesla/TSLA to start production and stoke the local economy?

Germany can "fight" Tesla every step of the way, and inevitably lose. Or they can embrace them as a manufacturing powerhouse and reap the benefits sooner.

Ask the USA for notes on how that worked with Honda/Toyota/Nissan back in the 1990s/2000s. The fight was a losing one, and the manufacturers setup local manufacturing facilities anyway which were great for the local economies.

"Germany" isn't fighting Tesla/TSLA. There is due process which applies equally for everyone - irrespective if you are little ol' me, or Tesla/TSLA!

Who is fighting Tesla/TSLA are a bunch of NIMBYs and ICE-fundend environmental NGOs. This is not "Germany", FFS.

I really wish the bunch of smart people we all seem to be on this board (at least according to the recent survey) would acknowledge and accept that Germany is a sovereign country, with it's own laws and procedures and that considering how quickly Tesla/TSLA have been able to build Giga Berlin/ GrĂĽnheide is testament to the support that Tesla/TSLA has within the German government.

Don't make comparisons where they are not just. Apples:Oranges, and all that.

Right, I'm going back to the "other" thread, I always assumed the old "no politics or religion at the bar" rule applied here too....

You're compiling a lot of information here... and planning to make it public and publicized too. How does it benefit us forum members? We're not outsmarting ourselves somehow that your survey info could more easily be used against us, are we?
Agreed, and don't worry, I didn't ask for, nor will I, distribute. This is intended for our reference only.

Last edited:
Germany is part of the EU and global legislative structure, they cant do what they would want, directly support their own manufacturing firms, without breaking some laws.

So they structure them to help the home team as much as possible, and use their strength in the EU to push for favourable rules.

Not having a go its how countries work.

I'd have to disagree. The SEC is rather toothless and there are quite a few ways even in that scenario to get SpaceX out of the SEC's grasp by spinning it off.

I'd argue Tesla buying SpaceX/Starlink actually would give Elon more control of SpaceX in the future. SpaceX is going to need to go through many......many more rounds of funding because of how cash intensive their expansion is going to be. And we're not talking small amount of funding/dilution. It's going to be very large amounts.

Elon is going to be materially diluted over the next 3-5 years in terms of the percentage of SpaceX he owns. By Tesla buying SpaceX now, it's a one time dilution event for Elon with much smaller dilution and then Tesla's excess cash, which we know will be massive every quarter after 2022, can go to funding SpaceX developments

In addition to that, think of all the cross collaboration is likely going to happen in the future between Tesla and SpaceX. Tesla can create vehicles for Mars surface in addition to robotics/humanoids to do labor on future Mars installations. There's a ton of middle ground between the two companies.
Yes, there will lot of areas of collaboration. But markets may not like Tesla buying SpaceX.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Yes, there will lot of areas of collaboration. But markets may not like Tesla buying SpaceX.
Well, to me at least, I think that's a very key point about Elon's response when he says "A lot has happened in 8 years".

I wouldn't blame Elon in the past for not wanting to take SpaceX public because he knows it's a very, very cash intensive company and that he would have to play the Wall Street game of doing offerings and have the stock be pushed around to dilute him more.

But things have fundamentally changed. Wall St could not like the SpaceX acqusition (I don't think that would be likely, demand for SpaceX shares is crazy high) but it wouldn't matter to Tesla's stock. The company has grown out of Wall St's ability to really manipulate it to extremes we saw between 2015-2019.

Purely speculating on the latest tweets by Elon, could it be that, Tesla is going to buy out SpaceX and maybe other Elon ventures to the same umbrella by issuing say 15-20% of extra shares in a pure stock for stock deal. No need for shareholders votes for the extra shares.

And with Elon’s holding in other companies, it might push his total shares holding darn close to 1/3 of tsla. Giving him a lot voting powers

BusinessHala - today: Tesla’s Top Price Targets Now Almost $1,500. No One Seemed to Notice — Twice.

Excerpt:

On Friday, China Securities analyst Zhu Ye began coverage of Tesla (ticker: TSLA) with a buy rating and a $1,485 price target. On Monday, Mirae Securities analyst Park Yeon-joo roughly matched it. Yeon-joo raised its target price from $937 per share to $1,466. She also rates the shares.
Publicizing THAT should result in some serious FOMO!

Well, to me at least, I think that's a very key point about Elon's response when he says "A lot has happened in 8 years".

I wouldn't blame Elon in the past for not wanting to take SpaceX public because he knows it's a very, very cash intensive company and that he would have to play the Wall Street game of doing offerings and have the stock be pushed around to dilute him more.

But things have fundamentally changed. Wall St could not like the SpaceX acqusition (I don't think that would be likely, demand for SpaceX shares is crazy high) but it wouldn't matter to Tesla's stock. The company has grown out of Wall St's ability to really manipulate it to extremes we saw between 2015-2019.
Valuations have also gone through the roof in the last 8 years. The latest private valuation of SpaceX was c.$100b, however the story to the public market could be at a valuation of double that or more - a great way to raise a ton of cash to de-risk starship development.

The other option is that Elon is just reiterating the Starlink float.

Elon & Tesla itself have said CT will not be mass produced in 2022, so it’s not really FUD is it? In fact the 12-14 month “production Intent“ timeline I think is pretty good news, implying production might start ramping so where between Nov 2022 - Jan 2023 (Assuming this supplier actually lands the contract).
Production intent doesn't mean start of production. It's a final prototype to be considered by the customer. Mass production would begin an unknown amount of time after that.

Reactions: UCF3
Playboy and Time are both known for one photo per issue.
In no way and no uncertain terms was I trying to disparage Playboy. The quality of the articles in Playboy is vastly superior to that of Time's.
(What I would give to have the issue with Elon being interviewed. And what's her name doing the Nude singer Pictorial a la Madonna.)