Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Closing at 5% up and no one even mentions it.

View attachment 738753
The only thing I saw today that's worth mentioning is the odd action spread across my LEAPS and the few short term calls I bought a couple days ago. Some LEAPS, even higher strike price, either had a smaller gain on the day than the actual stock or were only barely above the gain for the stock.

Either Wall St really doesn't believe the stock is going back up to 1200 and higher in the short term (unlikely) or shenanigans are being played again. I still remember going into Q3 earnings and the week or two post Q3 earnings where the stock was going up 2-3% a day and yet my LEAPS were actually DOWN on those days. I was calling shenanigans back then as well 🥴 🙃

Tesla Clothesline ™️

Admit it, you'd buy one.

FC1B8SnWUAMiCkX.jpeg

Incorrect. The ethanol is subsidized and the subsidized price is cheaper than the gasoline it is blended with. The price of gasoline would immediately rise if ethanol was no longer subsidized and mandated and refineries would profit handsomely with 9% more demand. Most of us live near gas stations that offer ethanol-free gasoline and it always costs considerably more. The price of the subsidized ethanol that is blended with gasoline is under the wholesale price of gasoline and this is one more subsidy to ICE over EV.

Another factor that would cause the price of gasoline to immediately rise if ethanol was not subsidized and mandated would be the sudden 9% increase in demand for gasoline. The US market would suddenly need 9% more refined gasoline which would temporarily strain the supply and cause price spiking.

Please note that I am not arguing in favor of ethanol subsidies or mandates, nor am I addressing the effects on food supply. I'm simply saying that the price of gasoline would not immediately fall if the mandates were removed. Quite the opposite of what you state as fact. Ethanol is a subject that the oil producers/refiners have lobbied against for years, both publicly and privately however, I do think they have quieted down during this transition to EV's as they have realized the subsidies help them compete with EVs. The net result of decades of lobbying is there is a lot of misinformation circulating in the public sphere and the truth of the matter is not nearly as clear-cut as many people believe. Never under-estimate the power of misinformation to distort public opinion.
The ethanol is not directly subsidized....I mean farming has a million subsidies but lets stay with ethanol. The refineries are forced to buy the ethanol and they have to mix it so it does not cause cars to fail. They receive credits from the govt for buying it, that's the subsidy. It is expensive, more expensive than the feedstock from oil the subsidy does not make up for the shat ton of issues related to having to blend ethanol. The problem is that the subsidy doesn't really cover the costs of doing business. Ethanol is nasty gumming crapola of a fuel. It creates hundreds of issues in the refineries and in vehicles. Mostly it will gut the ethanol business. The ethanol mills won't be able to dump ethanol so they'll scale corn purchases way back. That corn will get dumped. Mostly though the ethanol free fuels in most places of the US command a premium because they don't contain ethanol. As someone working with, in, and among farmers I can assure you that even the farmers dumping corn into ethanol silos hate using ethanol diluted gasoline. They'll pay more to drive without it. Course they mostly drive diesels but that's another point.

If the US rids itself of that subsidy corn tanks. What happens to overall fuel prices is difficult to predict as EVs are now beginning to bite into gasoline consumption but next year they'll really bite and by 2024 EV's will have driven out the 9%. I can't see the ethanol business really showing cracks until 2024. They'll paper it up til then. By 2024 congress will either back track on EVs or up the subsidy. The frackers and oil refiners will be at war against the ethanol lobby, that you can bet on. Pie is going to shrink and it will be a war.

They refineries have also not quieted down, they asked for and received more exemptions than ever before. Having to blend ethanol

The only thing I saw today that's worth mentioning is the odd action spread across my LEAPS and the few short term calls I bought a couple days ago. Some LEAPS, even higher strike price, either had a smaller gain on the day than the actual stock or were only barely above the gain for the stock.

Either Wall St really doesn't believe the stock is going back up to 1200 and higher in the short term (unlikely) or shenanigans are being played again. I still remember going into Q3 earnings and the week or two post Q3 earnings where the stock was going up 2-3% a day and yet my LEAPS were actually DOWN on those days. I was calling shenanigans back then as well 🥴 🙃
The Big Short - rewatch it.

Reactions: Boomer19
Personally I've always advocated for Tesla to exit automotive once certain hurdles are surpassed.

IMO the 2 interesting aspects are:-
  1. What is necessary to achieve the mission?
  2. What is possible beyond the mission?
In terms of achieving the mission, the publicly stated/implied goals are all that i think is needed:-
  • 20 Million EVs per year by 2030 expanding into all major vehicle categories.
  • 3 TWh of cell production by 2030.
  • Implied - working approved Robotaxis by 2020.
If Tesla hits the EV/Robotaxi targets, 100% of all new cars are EVs by 2030, Oil consumption should drop by 90%.
3 TWh of cell production by 2030 has tesla making at least 1.5-2 TWh of energy storage batteries by 2030, that is the one area where Tesla may further scale up ambition.

Regardless say 2 TWh of energy storage cells from Tesla implies a global supply of 5 TWh of energy storage cells by 2030.
Considering that energy storage is a crowded field, it is fairly likely this is enough to close most coal by 2030 and also start to reduce gas usage.

So I am calling a likely "Mission Accomplished" on transport by 2030 and possible "Mission Accomplished" on energy by 2030.

if more is needed to accelerate "Mission Accomplished" on energy that is possible by expansion into areas like:-
  • Home/office HVAC
  • White good, refrigerators, washing machines, clothes dryers
  • Solar production - new technology/process
  • Wave Energy - help a promising start up get to scale.
For Starlink if it is floated, Elon can buy shares and Tesla can buy shares. I see a possible Tesla investment in Starlink as similar to the Bitcoin purchase.
Some modest passive investment in any other Musk venture as an inflation hedge is reasonable IMO.

Once the mission is complete or well on track to complete, I don't think it is wise to draw a box around any area and say Tesla must not diversify into that area. Equally it isn't wise to mark an areas as a mandatory investment regardless.

The broader criteria are:-
  • Tesla has a compelling product or technology or can acquire or develop that product.
  • Tesla can make money on the product or service.
  • Customers benefit including Tesla as a customer if it's own products and services.
  • It further assists the mission in some tangible, but perhaps minor way.
  • It solves some problem, or benefits humanity in someway.
I would not even say all of the boxes above need to be ticked, being profitable and competitive is a mandatory requirement.

IMO Tesla could remain in automotive and still do a lot of other interesting stuff, as the business diversifies the focus on automotive would be diluted.

My list of possible targets includes:-
  • Mining
  • Banking
  • Consumer electronics, phones, laptops, tablets, etc - once the device recognises your face, all of your apps and data are available.
I'm saying possible targets, rather than definite targets, or even probable targets.

👀 What if instead of going public on it's own, Tesla were to buy majority stake in Starlink? Adam Jonas would probably give us a $5k TSLA PT. Jokes aside, there could be some synergies there. Elon could retain effective control, while spinning off cash for SpaceX. Plus he has said in the past that he likes the idea of a holding company for all of his businesses.
View attachment 738690
Is this more so a likely possibility now?
Hmmm…I wonder how likely this is and whether it’s even something Elon is considering right now.

Reactions: Nocturnal