Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thus we need to cheer those others along, just as Elon does. Tesla cannot succeed in the mission if other OEMs do not succeed also.

At this point we need one or two other OEMs to succeed in their transition to EVs Possibly Ford and VW may do so.

But we also need a few other OEMS to fail. Specifically hat means failure to continue making ICEv. Their failure to switch to EVs at scale and in time is a business decision.

That means BMW and Toyota unless they change their ways. But those laggards are showing no signs of transitioning to EVs in a meaningful way. So encourage the others, they have to FAIL. That means bankrupcy, and end of ICEv production.

That's what it'll take to kick the flood gates open. The fire must go out for ICE.

Word.

Last edited:
A few thoughts.

Bolt. Deliveries to retail customers began on May 17, 2017.

Model 3. Limited production of the Model 3 began in mid-2017, with the first production vehicle rolling off the assembly line on July 7, 2017.[12][13][14] The official launch and delivery of the first 30 cars took place on July 28.

May is before July. The fact that the Bolt is not currently being produced does not change these dates.

Mary led. It does not mean she won. Or even led wisely.

Tesla Merger.

Government has antitrust laws that is uses to take apart companies. If you put it together the government will decide how to take it apart. I struggle to see how exposure to this has any benefit.

Motor Trend - December 10, 2012: 2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year: Tesla Model S

It is quite fascinating and just so everyone knows...it is all done in house. ALL of it. Every last piece of the boards in Tesla vehicles are spec'd, laid out and fully designed (read the job description to get of an idea of what is done to create a board). Nothing outsourced, except for actual production on a fab line, just like the custom ASICs for AP/FSD. The PCB folks I worked with were hands down the best.

And looks like SpaceX is following suit: SpaceX hiring PCB Designer in Redmond, Washington, United States | LinkedIn
SpaceX has been designing its own custom silicon for years now in Redmond and Irving, originally based on a team brought over from Broadcom. And it designs and at least partially manufactures its own PCBs. For instance, Avionics Production Supervisor.

Looks like that didn't work out. Is Elon too busy with his SpaceX crisis to sell shares? Or maybe he's waiting until later this week.

Elon is a magician. The SpaceX "crisis" and Starlink merger talk, the whole "much change after 8 years" line, and all the other fuss about splits and such are ploys to distract from what is really going on.

Elon is going to announce he has purchased a small to medium-sized nation and kicked off his goal to own the planet.

There, the truth is out.

Waaaaaaay out.

/s

At first I thought this was legacy non Chinese automakers based on Electrek's headline/article. NY Times article is more clear.

One reason Sandy Munro keeps warning about the Chinese automakers.

Elon is a magician. The SpaceX "crisis" and Starlink merger talk, the whole "much change after 8 years" line, and all the other fuss about splits and such are ploys to distract from what is really going on.

Elon is going to announce he has purchased a small to medium-sized nation and kicked off his goal to own the planet.

There, the truth is out.

Waaaaaaay out.

/s
And provide wireless energy transmission with starlink globally and then to the ship(s) going to mars, and then to mars colony... I have my tinfoil hat, where is yours?

Lol

$150 is a P/E under 20 using last quarter’s profit annualized. Lower than the market as a whole (34)… for a company with essentially zero debt and a 50% CAGR.

People who put numbers like that should wear clown makeup when they do it.

Apparitionly, they live...

THEY LIVE.jpg

Cheers!

Thus we need to cheer those others along, just as Elon does. Tesla cannot succeed in the mission if other OEMs do not succeed also.
Yes, I really am rooting for them, but I’m not investing in them.

Except I did invest a bit in FUV. Luckily I trimmed that holding when it spiked up for no reason, but I’m still hoping they make it into significant production, (which is hard I hear). Trimming worked there, but it sure wasn’t a smart move when I trimmed TSLA.

And I guess I drank the cool-aid for Quantumscape, but I bought that after it had settled down after the SPAC. (Unfortunately, it has settled some more.)

And if that former Tesla guy who is recycling batteries goes public I will invest a bit in that.

So I’m looking for the next TSLA, but I’m pretty sure the next TSLA is TSLA!

Not strictly TSLA related, but it is a new product and many here won't want to miss it.

FFS people are stupid.

I think it's cool that Elon knows the famous catch phrase attributed to Andrew Grove, the late co-founder and 3rd CEO of Intel. Even today, he is venerated at that company. Grove passed in 2016 of symptoms of Parkinson's Disease.
I first heard of this phrase from Andy Grove reading the book Great by Choice: Uncertainty, Chaos & Luck - Why Some Thrive Despite Them All, a fantastic book which I highly recommend reading.

Their experiment showed that leaders and companies who achieved staggering success at least 10x better than competitors in wild and unpredictable conditions and extreme adversity, tend to exhibit three distinguishing characteristics:

1) Empirical Creativity

2) Productive Paranoia

3) Fanatic Discipline

One of the main reasons I invested heavily in TSLA is the Elon Musk is the ultimate paragon of a 10x leader, and the whole company falls in line with the principles these researchers found in their study.

"The 10Xers share Level 5 leaders’ most important trait: they’re incredibly ambitious, but their ambition is first and foremost for the cause, for the company, for the work, not themselves. Whereas [our previous book] Good to Great focused heavily on the humility aspect of Level 5 leaders, this work highlights their sheer ferocity of will.

Sometimes the 10Xers painted their causes in fairly grand terms, even while avoiding any sense of personal grandiosity. Gordon Moore, CEO of Intel from the mid-1970s to mid-1980s, maintained a low profile, despite being the primary company builder during Intel’s early growth. Moore nonetheless saw Intel’s purpose in gigantic terms, recognizing how microelectronics would revolutionize nearly every aspect of society. In 1973, only five years into Intel’s history, Moore said, “We are really the revolutionaries in the world today—not the kids with the long hair and beards who were wrecking the schools a few years ago.” Gordon Moore led with an understated personality, yet built a great company that would play a catalytic role in revolutionizing the way civilization works.

To focus on Gordon Moore’s understated personality, or Lewis’s and Kelleher’s outsized personalities, would miss the point.

The central question is, “What are you in it for?” 10X leaders can be bland or colorful, uncharismatic or magnetic, understated or flamboyant, normal to the point of dull, or just flat-out weird—none of this really matters, as long as they’re passionately driven for a cause beyond themselves.

Every 10Xer we studied aimed for much more than just “becoming successful.” They didn’t define themselves by money. They didn’t define themselves by fame. They didn’t define themselves by power. They defined themselves by impact and contribution and purpose."

"Let's first look at what we did not find about 10Xers relative to their less successful comparisons: They're not more creative. They're not more visionary. They're not more charismatic. They're not more ambitious. They're not more blessed by luck. They're not more risk-seeking. They're not more heroic. And they're not more prone to making big, bold moves. To be clear, we're not saying that 10Xers lacked creative intensity, ferocious ambition, or the courage to bet big. They displayed all these traits, but so did their less successful comparisons.

So then, how did the 10Xers distinguish themselves? First, they embrace a paradox of control and noncontrol. On the one hand, 10Xers understand that they face continuous uncertainty and that they cannot control, and cannot accurately predict, significant aspects of the world around them. On the other hand, they reject the idea that forces outside their control or chance events will determine their results; they accept full responsibility for their own fate.

10Xers then bring this idea to life by a triad of core behaviors: fanatic discipline, empirical creativity, and productive paranoia. And they all led their teams with a surprising method of self-control in an out-of-control world."

"Fanatic discipline: 10Xers display extreme consistency of action – consistency with values, goals,
performance standards, and methods. They are utterly relentless, monomaniacal, and unbending in their focus on their quests."

"Empirical creativity: when faced with uncertainty, 10Xers do not look primarily to other people, conventional wisdom, authority figures, or peers for direction; they look primarily to empirical evidence. They rely upon direct observation, practical experimentation, and direct engagement with tangible evidence. They make their bold, creative moves from a sound empirical base."

"Productive paranoia: 10Xers maintain hypervigilance, staying highly attuned to threats and changes in their environment, even when – especially when – all’s going well. They assume conditions will turn against them, at perhaps the worst possible moment. They channel their fear and worry into action, preparing, developing contingency plans, building buffers and maintaining large margins of safety."

“Discipline, in essence, is consistency of action—consistency with values, consistency with long-term goals, consistency with performance standards, consistency of method, consistency over time. Discipline is not the same as regimentation. Discipline is not the same as measurement. Discipline is not the same as hierarchical obedience or adherence to bureaucratic rules. True discipline requires the independence of mind to reject pressures to conform in ways incompatible with values, performance standards, and long-term aspirations. For a 10Xer, the only legitimate form of discipline is self-discipline, having the inner will to do whatever it takes to create a great outcome, no matter how difficult."

"Faith in the endgame helps you live through the months or years of buildup"

Last edited: