Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forward Observing

Commercials ~ Are there any Tesla commercials? If so, I have missed them ~ sorry. BMW, looks like the car wears glasses. Do not get me wrong, I drooled over a BMW in Heidelberg in 1991 ~ wound up buying first off the line Volvo 960 w/spoiler ~ damned fast V-8 and extremely good looking.

Read the VW beating Tesla in Europe article ~ sited 1Q21 Tesla numbers, but no clarity on VW number quarter or whatever. Whatever, about two Tesla to one VW-EV.

Without reiterating all the facts ~ the EV race is on! One or more dinosaurs (fossil fuel) car manufacturers will ~ die (bottom line). We are at a critical mass ~ the want-2Bs and those that are. The only real questions are: which one of the OEM (fossil fuel), or legacy car manufactures will survive, and what will they look like? Second, of all the new EV start- ups, which one(s) will survive and what will they look like?

Having watched Toyota/Lexus grow up since the seventies, I now know what Ford, BMW, Mercedes and GM look like in a fossil fuel battle environment ~ Toyota/Lexus won or close second.

Kids get their Model Y Saturday ~ not sure if daughter or son-in-law will drive it home from Seattle ~ should be me!

@Paracelsus ~ I hope all is well, and thanks for the commercial info. Still have not seen any Tesla commercials :eek:

Without reiterating all the facts ~ the EV race is on! One or more dinosaurs (fossil fuel) car manufacturers will ~ die (bottom line). We are at a critical mass ~ the want-2Bs and those that are. The only real questions are: which one of the OEM (fossil fuel), or legacy car manufactures will survive, and what will they look like? Second, of all the new EV start- ups, which one(s) will survive and what will they look like?
GM is leading… they will be the first in bankruptcy.

Joke and prediction all in one go.

Also seen in the Tesla store:

63D2D607-9539-41DF-A282-30C7289C0737.png

Last edited:
Yes, I passed my Illinois driving test in the early sixties with an automatic transmission. That allows me to drive any car, but not a motorcycle or big truck. At the time I knew how to handle a manual transmission, but all teens were advised that taking the test with an automatic transmission was wiser. Meanwhile, I haven't driven a car with a stick shift ever since I drove a Jeep in the Army over fifty years ago.
And I have only driven manual transmissions till my first Tesla in 2015. A 1976 Ford Fiesta, a 1942 Ford Willy's Jeep (still one of my favorites), long series of BMWs all manual, 2013 Jetta Wagon TDI (sold for a profit thanks to Dieselgate).

Just today, at a stoplight in my Model S, my left foot reached for the clutch to come to a complete stop, old habits are hard to break.

Wasn’t expecting to frantically try and purchase a whistle tonight.
I come here to see the news on Tesla.
Learn there is a cyberwhistle.
Go on shop Tesla.
realize it’s sold out.
go on Twitter.
activate notifications for Elon tweets.
I didn’t get Teslaquilla, flamethrower, whistle. I am not managing my Twitter notifications properly.

My guess is that Elon wanted Tesla to learn about the properties of the metal and how to work with it. So he told the staff to make something out of the metal as an experiment. Find out where their knowledge stops, where their tools break. Someone came up with the idea to do a whistle from scrap metal looking like a cybertruck and make it. So they will do this limited production, thus getting some valuable experience in how to cut the metal. Probably they have a CNC they have programmed to do whistles out sheets of metal and have an engineer at the factory floor in Texas manually feeding it for a day or two while he does other experiments with the metal.

From the knowledge they will gain they can later decide if they want drill some holes into the cybertruck for cameras, wiring, handles or other things they actually want to use.

It seems to be Tesla’s way, they get a Kuka robot, the first thing they do is try to break it to see how fast it can actually move.

You know, the Apple "cloth" that Elon mocked is much cheaper and more useful. On the other hand, I imagine the whistle won't wear out. It would be truly funny if Tesla shipped it wrapped in a Tesla logo "cloth".

@Bet TSLA at 7:30pm on TMC posts "You know, the Apple "cloth" that Elon mocked is much cheaper and more useful. On the other hand, I imagine the whistle won't wear out. It would be truly funny if Tesla shipped it wrapped in a Tesla logo "cloth"."

Elon at 7:36pm tweets "Don’t waste your money on that silly Apple Cloth, buy our whistle instead!"

Draw your own conclusions.

Yes, I passed my Illinois driving test in the early sixties with an automatic transmission. That allows me to drive any car, but not a motorcycle or big truck. At the time I knew how to handle a manual transmission, but all teens were advised that taking the test with an automatic transmission was wiser. Meanwhile, I haven't driven a car with a stick shift ever since I drove a Jeep in the Army over fifty years ago.
There we differ. Every car I drove until I got this truck was a stick except a two speed automatic Impala.

Hopefully not too off topic but related to competition and margins. I wonder how Rivian is able to price the R1S starting at $70,000 compared to Tesla Model X that starts at $105,000. R1S has 35% bigger battery and two additional motors which along with lack of scale in manufacturing should make it more expensive?

This. This is the reason I finally pulled the trigger and sold my Rivian position yesterday (at a decent short term profit). First strike was their lack of communications regarding deliveries. Second was yet another delay to April or later. But it is this that is most concerning. Tesla has been raising prices as inputs and inflation keep rising. Rivian hasn't.

Rivian not only has to prove it can manufacture at scale, but do so at positive margins...

Alright which one of you is this?
😭

Judging by his face, Lindsey is a Tesla fan, though it does not appear as if he owns one of the electric vehicles. Lindsey’s main ride is a 30-year-old maroon minivan that seats eight and, when new, got an average of 16 miles per gallon. Production of the GMC Safari was discontinued in 2005.
Whoo, that was a close one...