Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

VP Harris reconvenes and expands the Space Council. I listen to the whole meeting. It was pretty good. I does seem that the Biden Harris Administration does want to get out in front on the opportunities of space exploration. Nothing in this meeting directly discussed SpaceX or Musk, but I can't help but wonder how the Administration sees itself in competition with Elon Musk. Regardless, a more ambitious and interconnected space program could be a useful way to generate enthusiasm. The priorities cluster around cultivating STEM talent, addressing climate change, and strengthening international rules and norms for access to space. This encompasses a broad social agenda. My sense is that all of this is very much in line with Musk's vision, but it feels a bit like the Administration is trying to make clear that they too have a vision for space exploration.
The administration does have a vision for space exploration: UAW is going to build the rockets and take us to space once they solve climate change, which they are working on assiduously.

Yikes.....

Porsche Whistleblower: “60% of all delivered Taycan have battery issues that caused replacements, damages and fires”​

From the @avoigt Teslarati article, it says that for vehicles "standing longer than 2 weeks":
  • Customers must assure that the Taycan’s state of charge remains between 20% – 50%
or the warranty will be significantly reduced.

Better hope the dealer didn't have your Taycan on the lot for 2 weeks with more than 50% SOC or they nerfed your warranty before you even got the car!

This got me wondering if there is some sort of entanglement between these onerous warranty conditions and the EPA rated range? The Taycan is famous for having a much higher real-world range than its EPA rating while it's the opposite for most other cars. Could it be that the EPA rating has to be achieved within the warranty restrictions? If you restrict the lower limit to 20% it would pretty much explain the EPA/actual discrepancy. Could the 20% be a hard lower limit whether stored or not for the full warranty while the 50% upper limit only applies to periods of being left undriven for 2 weeks or longer?

Last edited:
From the @avoigt Teslarati article, it says that for vehicles "standing longer than 2 weeks":
  • Customers must assure that the Taycan’s state of charge remains between 20% – 50%

Better hope the dealer didn't have your Taycan on the lot for 2 weeks with more than 50% SOC or they nerfed your warranty before you even got the car!

This got me wondering if there is some sort of entanglement between these onerous warranty conditions and the EPA rated range? The Taycan is famous for having a much higher real-world range than its EPA rating while it's the opposite for most other cars. Could it be that the EPA rating has to be achieved within the warranty restrictions? If you restrict the lower limit to 20% it would pretty much explain the EPA/actual discrepancy. Could the 20% be a hard lower limit whether stored or not for the full warranty while the 50% upper limit only applies to periods of being left undriven for 2 weeks or longer?

I don't see that it could have anything directly to do with EPA rated range because the warranty restrictions only apply if the car is to be parked for longer than two weeks. And the EPA ratings do not contemplate how long the car has been parked before the test is performed so the restrictions would not be in force. Besides, the disparity you mention is mostly exaggerated and is nowhere near as large as it would be if the EPA range was using a 20% SOC hard limit.

Another data point from my usual source: 11 月新車成績單:Corolla Cross 賣破 4000 輛!Tesla Model 3 豪華車 No.1 - 自由電子報汽車頻道

After no-show in October (first month of quarter), in November overall "luxary import" category Model 3 jumped to #1. This is against traditional ICE as well, not just EV only.
1. Model 3 1238
2. Mercedes GLC 458
3. Lexus UX 356
4. Lexus NX 349
5. Mercedes S-Class 293
6. Lexus RX 290
7. Volvo XC40
8. BMW 3 series 277
9. BMW X3 246
10. Lexus ES 214

This is from the Taycan manual. There is nothing there about reducing the warranty because it’s parked for 2 weeks. Warranty is also for 100,000 miles and 8 years.

- 100% of net battery capacity on the date the car is first delivered to the first retail
purchaser or the date it is first used as a demonstrator, lease, or company car,
whichever comes first.
- 80% of net battery capacity within the first 3 years/37,500 miles, whichever occurs
first.
- 70% of net battery capacity within the first 8 years/100,000 miles, whichever occurs
first.

Edit: Taycan Warranty Manual

Wish it was the actual ATV. They could add a zero and I would certainly be tempted. :)

Trying to work out Tesla’s thinking behind launching this first.

Prob has a nice healthy price to pack size ratio. My guess is 1.5 to 2 kWh. But Tesla don’t need the money. They have to ship 30 of these and deal with 30 warranties. Easier to ship one car.

Wondering if there’s some new component or manufacturing process that they need to scale up and gain a knowledge base on. Perhaps folding of stainless sheet.

Other thought is that it’s about brand awareness for young minds who will one day be car buyers/users. Tesla equals fun (without fuel).

Trying to work out Tesla’s thinking behind launching this first.

Prob has a nice healthy price to pack size ratio. My guess is 1.5 to 2 kWh. But Tesla don’t need the money. They have to ship 30 of these and deal with 30 warranties. Easier to ship one car.

Wondering if there’s some new component or manufacturing process that they need to scale up and gain a knowledge base on. Perhaps folding of stainless sheet.

Other thought is that it’s about brand awareness for young minds who will one day be car buyers/users. Tesla equals fun (without fuel).

It’s fun. Do they need any other reason?

This is the company that shipped “Not a Flamethrower”.

Maybe they set up a baby production line at Giga Texas for this to make use of otherwise idle space which will be used for the truck later.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog