Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s pretty crazy how the CT is getting a refresh before it’s even released but I greatly appreciate that Tesla is making and releasing the best vehicle it possibly can.

It gives me as a consumer, a ton of confidence if i get the top of the line vehicle at launch, I won’t regret it next year.

I have a 2018 Model 3 performance. It’s been upgraded to HW3 and it’s generally as good as the ones being rolled out today. 3-4 years is a lifetime in the tech world.

It’s too bad I sold it to exchange for a newer Model X but my old 2016 60D could be a 75D with HW3, MCU2 and additional camera upgrades today!

I feel the first 5000 100,000+ CTs are gonna coke right here from TMC members.

We pay attention to future proofing to make some of the decisions.

Reactions: Ogre
Today I found the following extraordinarily endearing opinion piece by James Anderson (partner at Baillie Gifford) in the FAZ - Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung:

Standpunkt: Purpose statt Governance – wider den Unsinn von standardisierten ESG-Kriterien

Translation:

Viewpoint : Purpose instead of governance - against the nonsense of standardized ESG criteria

Sustainability standards are supposed to make business better. But successful examples like Tesla might not even have existed with such strict rules.

It seems that the investment industry has finally realized that serious allocation of capital goes beyond short-term financial gains. The increased focus on steering investments into sustainable companies with effective environmental, social and governance principles is intended to help stop climate change and - it doesn't get any smaller than this - make the world a better place. This is what the now familiar acronyms such as ESG and SDG (Sustainable Development Goals of the UN) stand for. So far, so good. The giant tanker is changing course.

But in the concrete implementation of how the financial industry and its regulators are now trying to fulfill this mandate, tragic aberrations are emerging. Genuine long-term impacts for the good of economies, societies, and the planet cannot be anchored in the dictates and banal metrics of ESG dogmatists. Yet they have gained influence - unwarranted.

Tesla violates ESG mandates

Let me try to illustrate with an example. Baillie Gifford has long been a large shareholder in Tesla. It's certainly indisputable that Elon Musk has steered the automotive industry in an increasingly sustainable direction. Not just because he himself is replacing the internal combustion engine in cars, but because he has forced change in an initially unwilling industry. Without Tesla, this transformation to CO2-free mobility would have been later and slower. That would have been fatal for all of us - and yet a look at relevant ratings would probably give me a different result, because Tesla violates many of the standard metrics used to assess a company's ESG credibility. Looking at things like the composition of its board, its executive compensation system, its run-ins with the SEC regulator, and the Twitter antics of its CEO, Tesla is not a company that makes the hearts of proxy advisors and ESG dogmatists beat faster.

I think such concerns here are dangerous nonsense. If we must measure anything, the relevant number for judging Tesla is not its own CO2 emissions, for example, or even the emissions avoided by its electric motors or the deaths avoided thanks to reduced pollution. Rather, it's the total benefit of all electric vehicles produced across the automotive industry - from GM to VW. Because Tesla forced change, and in doing so, changed the world for the better. That's its real contribution.

Willingness to be unreasonable

And I don't think Tesla would have been able to do this if it had been a "normal" company that followed its practiced codes of governance. Would a "normal" board of directors have risked everything for a revolution in mobility? After all, its failure was far more than a mere hypothesis in the beginning. Would a "normal" CEO have survived the many moments of controversy? Would "normal" investors have withstood the pressure of the short-sellers?

I doubt all of the above. Now Tesla may be an extreme example. But aren't all companies that go beyond mediocrity inherently unreasonable? Progress depends on radical thinking and impatience with conventions and constraints. To quote Noubar Afeyan, chairman of Moderna, "We have to be willing to engage with unreasonable proposals and unreasonable people in order to make extraordinary discoveries, because the idea that perfectly reasonable people doing perfectly reasonable things will make great breakthroughs is not comprehensible to me."

Supporting the ideas that may seem unreasonable at first glance, but have the potential to have a positive impact on society - that's our job as investors. But the number of companies that truly have the ability to change the world for the better is vanishingly small. And only a few of them will also add value for investors. Once they are discovered, we must continue to promote and challenge these companies. It is a source of pride that we have supported Tesla's vision and freed Illumina from the clutches of Roche and its hostile intentions.

Damage to ESG targets

To sum it up: It turns out that standardized ESG frameworks are not just gestures, not just ill-conceived constructs and distractions, but that in their totality they are deeply damaging to the transformation of companies - and ultimately the world - for the better. If we believe we must enforce a standard template for all companies in all industries and in all countries, we will end up with a dry, unimaginative, fearful, and rulebook-driven world.

Tolstoy claimed in his "Anna Karenina," "All happy families resemble each other, but every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." In business, the opposite is true. Unhappy businesses resemble each other, but every successful business is successful in its own way. Business success depends on doing things that others cannot do.

Regulators and rating agencies, on the other hand, try to quiz the diversity a company needs to be exceptional in ordinary multiple-choice boxes. What we need, however, is the courage to find our own less-trodden paths to investment and social progress, rather than stubborn adherence to questionable and superficial benchmarks set by others.

WSJ Article:

Elon Musk Needs China. China Needs Him. The Relationship Is Complicated.

"“Tesla’s position in the domestic Chinese market will be substantially diluted over time through competition and policies to encourage local players,” the analysts said."

Tesla's future success in China will be limited?

On CNBC on Friday, they were talking non-stop about Tesla at risk over China relations.......with zero evidence to actually back up what they're saying. The reality is :

- Tesla China sources 80-90% of their materials locally - tariff war won't impact Tesla
- Tesla China serves as the main export HUB for Tesla which is very beneficial for the Chinese Government
- Tesla China pays their workers far above the average wage of a factory worker in China

China has every reason to love Tesla and want to continue a strong relationship, there's zero reasons to counter that

WSJ Article:

"“Tesla’s position in the domestic Chinese market will be substantially diluted over time through competition and policies to encourage local players,” the analysts said."

Of course. We have many examples of this historically.

After China had their way with Apple, they kicked them to the curb.

They also kicked BMW/Mercedes and Audi to yhe curb by supporting brands like the Great Wall, that's why we see absolutely no success with those German brands.

Also the Chinese government is extremely supportive toward their own companies, we can see that with DiDi and BABA.

I don't think there are any foreign company in China making a killing.

/SSSsSSSSS

Update:

Teslarati - hour ago: PepsiCo. receives permit for Tesla Semi Megacharger installation

Excerpt:

PepsiCo. has received the permit for the installation of a Tesla Semi Megacharger at its Modesto, California, facility, according to public documents released by Stanislaus County.

The Stanislaus County Planning Commission officially issued a permit for the Megacharger installation yesterday on November 22nd, the documents show. PepsiCo. has been attempting to receive installation privileges since April, when it initially submitted the application on April 21st. The Planning Commission has performed regular inspections, including a Fire review, in the months between the submittal of the application and the issuance of the permit. The permit approval was first shared by @MarcoRPTesla.

PepsiCo. will be the first company to receive Tesla Semis later this year. CEO Ramon Laguarta stated on CNBC earlier this month the company would officially receive the first Tesla Semi units in Q4, meaning Tesla has about five weeks to deliver the vehicles to PepsiCo.

By the way: Yesterday evening I drove past Giga Berlin/Grünheide at around 10 pm in a borrowed M3P (what a bullet!) on my way from southern to northern Germany. The complex was buzzing, the entire factory front and all the floors along the highway were lit up, the truck docks occupied and trucks unloading, countless people scurrying around. Something really big is going on here!

PS: Unfortunately I was too fast and too excited and concentrated to take photos

PPS: Shortly before, I visited the Supercharger in Beelitz. Very romantic! Here I had time for a photo (attached)

Attachments

• IMG_20211203_202158.jpg
    IMG_20211203_202158.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 102
On CNBC on Friday, they were talking non-stop about Tesla at risk over China relations.......with zero evidence to actually back up what they're saying. The reality is :

- Tesla China sources 80-90% of their materials locally - tariff war won't impact Tesla
- Tesla China serves as the main export HUB for Tesla which is very beneficial for the Chinese Government
- Tesla China pays their workers far above the average wage of a factory worker in China

China has every reason to love Tesla and want to continue a strong relationship, there's zero reasons to counter that
One thing, and a biggie, that I forgot to mention:

- Tesla China's scale. Think about how many workers and how much influence Tesla China's business impacts China's economy at this point. From Tesla China's direct workforce to the truck drivers to the port workers to the battery supply workers at CATL (because Tesla is the only one at production scale that can support battery demand for those companies to invest). And we know Tesla is planning on increasing it's direct workforce in the near future. We also know the future compact car with be developed in China from Chinese designers/engineers.

In the equation of who needs who more.....to me it's clear China needs Tesla a lot more. Especially with two new factories coming online for Tesla and Tesla's own battery production set to take off next year.

WSJ Article:

This is an attempt—and a particularly distasteful attempt at that—to open yet another front in the campaign to impugn Mr. Musk’s character. One of the authors of the article is Rebecca Elliott who is the WSJ’s lead author for smearing Musk, kinda like the The New York Times’s Neal Boudette.

Overall, this article aims to create the impression that Musk is ‘soft’ on China despite there being some decent reporting buried in the middle of the article. This new attack is presumably at least in part in service of trying to contain SpaceX by the powers that are on the way to becoming has beens.

In particular, note the misleading teaser for the article on the front page and the final paragraph of the article (many read only the first few and last paragraphs or even just the teaser or headline)— reproduced below.

Notice also in the same issue (WSJ 4-5 December 2021) the full front page of the Review devoted to the article entitled "Containment Can Work Against China, Too." Coincidence? Hardly.

There was also just an article, by Li Yuan, in the NY Times (2 December 2021) on this new front. The article was on the front page of the business section and titled "How Tesla Helps China Compete."

The irony is that these articles could themselves be considered unpatriotic and, potentially, defeatist given that Russia is in the process of amassing 175,000 troops on the border of the Ukraine, that this increases the odds of war, and that companies with the technological and innovative capacity of Tesla and SpaceX will be vital to any war effort.

From the front page of the WSJ today:
79B50318-3466-4A68-9748-8B5CEA06D988.jpeg

Last paragraphs from the WSJ article discussed:

"Mr. Musk has maintained his deferential tone. In September, when China held an internet conference aimed at pushing its alternative version of the web—at a time when the government was pressing a regulatory crackdown on tech—not many of the country’s tech stars attended.

Mr. Musk spoke via video, describing how Tesla had set up a data center in China to store the digital records gathered from its production, sales, service, charging and other activities in the country.

“At Tesla, we’re glad to see a number of laws and regulations that have been released to strengthen data management,” Mr. Musk said."

Last edited:
By the way: Yesterday evening I drove past Giga Berlin/Grünheide at around 10 pm in a borrowed M3P (what a bullet!) on my way from southern to northern Germany. The complex was buzzing, the entire factory front and all the floors along the highway were lit up, the truck docks occupied and trucks unloading, countless people scurrying around. Something really big is going on here!

PS: Unfortunately I was too fast and too excited and concentrated to take photos

PPS: Shortly before, I visited the Supercharger in Beelitz. Very romantic! Here I had time for a photo (attached)

Maybe someday those foreign cars will come equipped with that fancy "take 10 minutes of video" button!

True it’s like appl. It employs a great amount of labor force and fostered a whole chain of suppliers upon which the domestic companies emerged

Reactions: StarFoxisDown!