Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I too was looking to buy a MY in early 2022, but the constant price increases this year bothered me as well. It excited me as an investor, but bothered me as a soon to be customer.

However, I eventually shrugged that off and ordered my LR MY six weeks ago and now I'm going to pick up my first Tesla ever tomorrow. In the end I decided to stop waiting for the new government rebate and even take the price hike hits as well and simply order my car. I figure I should own the product I'm investing in, right? Plus life is short and I've made a LOT of money from my TSLA investments, realistically I can afford to give Tesla a little bit back. I even decided to give my Crosstrek to my mother instead of trading it in and pay even MORE for the MY out of pocket than I wanted to! So I'm taking financial hits all over this MY purchase, I'm going all in!

It's good to be prudent and wise with investing and finances, but in my opinion we have to remember to enjoy the fruits of our labors from time to time too.
Ha, called it! I knew your delivery was going to get moved up. Have fun tomorrow.

With the $ inflation for past 20 months, I strongly feel there WILL NOT be 25K whatever Tesla car.
Even if this gets announced and manufactured fairly soon, it will easily be 35K minimum.

People now pay ~60K for MY and are happy to get it.

I even feel that there will not be 50K CT. Yes, the 50K CT from 2 years ago will easily be 60K+ when available.
I adjusted my expectation on the Tri Motor to 80 grand months ago. With FSD, taxes and fees it's going to be a 100k purchase.

I love this name.
Big operating system, big operating system, daddy needs an upgrade!
Screen Shot 2021-12-08 at 8.11.45 PM.png

Elon has previously stated:

1. there will be "no Model 2"
2. "nothing" is happening on 12/9

Therefore the new "smaller-than-a-model-3" will be called "nothing" and will be announced tomorrow.

Hence, "nothing" is happening "12/9".

There. Solved it.

NOT ADVICE.
Or it'll be called the Model 0 (zero), and 0=nothing.

Last edited:
No way in heck is Tesla showing the compact car soon. Certainly not tomorrow. They will not show this car until it is nearly ready for production. The entire factory will need to be built first, and the battery supply will need to be secured. It could possibly be shown vey late 2022, but most probably 2023. While 3 took some S sales, and Y took some 3 sales, the new compact model will probably take half the demand for the model 3 away the moment it shows. The 3 will still be useful for taxi work and stuff, but many people in buy a 3 even though they want a smaller car because it is the best smallish vehicle available.
From Walter Isaccson’s book on Steve Jobs: “One of Job's business rules was to never be afraid of cannibalizing yourself. ‘If you don't cannibalize yourself, someone else will’

Musk is as close we have had to a Steve Jobs. I do agree, though, that the $25k model shouldn’t be announced until it’s almost ready to go. To do otherwise would be to risk the Osborne Effect.

From Walter Isaccson’s book on Steve Jobs: “One of Job's business rules was to never be afraid of cannibalizing yourself. ‘If you don't cannibalize yourself, someone else will’

Musk is as close we have had to a Steve Jobs. I do agree, though, that the $25k model shouldn’t be announced until it’s almost ready to go. To do otherwise would be to risk the Osborne Effect.
I wouldn't compare Elon to Steve Jobs. Jobs was a creative genius, but in the grand scheme, his accomplishments pale in comparison. I very much doubt that Jobs will have major name recognition in 100 years. Musk certainly will, imo.

I wouldn't compare Elon to Steve Jobs. Jobs was a creative genius, but in the grand scheme, his accomplishments pale in comparison. I very much doubt that Jobs will have major name recognition in 100 years. Musk certainly will, imo.

The worlds most valuable company and first to be worth $3tn (most probably), rescued them, built them, made the absolute key choices. Forgotten about.

TBH Tim apple will be a bit pissed as he has built more value for them but wont ever be remembered for it.

Last edited:
With the $ inflation for past 20 months, I strongly feel there WILL NOT be 25K whatever Tesla car.
Even if this gets announced and manufactured fairly soon, it will easily be 35K minimum.

People now pay ~60K for MY and are happy to get it.

I even feel that there will not be 50K CT. Yes, the 50K CT from 2 years ago will easily be 60K+ when available.

My best guess is that Tesla will stick to the reservation prices for the announced specs of each model but the entry level $39K model will not go into production for another 2-3 years while Tesla delivers more profitable versions first. They will honor the announced the $49K and $69K prices of the mid-range and top of the line Cybertruck and supplement profits by offering $10K options including things like tank turn, Autopilot, etc. They might also delay those versions by starting with a new top of the line quad-motor Plaid model with a price of $79K-$89K including rear-wheel steering and tank turn. Fortunately, they will give all reservation holders the opportunity to upgrade to the Plaid without losing their place in line. When all those reservations are filled they will start offering the Quad motor at the original price and specs of the Tri-motor. And so on down the line. Eventually, the $39K Single motor will be offered as a $39K dual motor RWD but most buyers will add another $5-$10K in options making it profitable too. AWD models will outsell the rear-wheel drive by 10 to 1 making the low margins on the RWD model all but irrelevant.

Those on a budget will get the price and specs they ordered (better in many ways) but they will have to wait longer if they don't want the Plaid or the $69K model. During this time Tesla will be opening new Cybertruck production lines, increasing volumes and driving down costs as they fine-tune the production and supply chains. Volumes will grow rapidly as they get into the $69K and under sales. Margins will steadily expand. Two years after the first Cybertruck rolls off the line it will start to be hailed as the most surprising, the most unlikely success story of all time. In two more years volumes will be stunning to all industry observers and the demise of old school pickups will no longer be doubted. Still, no one will have anything like it, nothing will offer more value in the truck market and there will still be a waiting list a mile long.

This could unfold in many ways but that's my best guess as to what the most likely scenario will resemble.