Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
It probably plays havoc with the aerodynamics. Even if it is "hidden" to the human eye, there will be dimples and cracks which will disturb the air flow. Also, the probable reason why the resting position of the wiper is vertical on the side of the windscreen rather than horizontal across the hood is because it offers less air resistance.
1639183840868.png
v1wwani.gif

gif

While we were all being distracted by the Cybertruck making laps, this happened:

1639184929765.png

Not directly Tesla related, but as you can see, Tesla's are vulnerable for this zero day exploit too. Now, because Tesla's are using a VPN to connect to the mothership and afaik there is no VPN bypass, I think the impact for Tesla's is mitigated (external attackers cannot reach an individual Tesla's internal web site to post the code that triggers the vulnerability)

The issue: Apache Log4j, one of many frameworks developers use to get things done. In this case, Log4J is a framework that a lot of developers use to implement error logging in their application. And because of that, many enterprises have applications that use this framework, and are dependent on their suppliers supplying an update of this framework to close the vulnerability.

For instance, you can trigger the exploit in Minecraft chat, changing your iPhone name, or in the case above change the name of your Tesla to a piece of code that triggers an executable code (in this case just a DNS query).

Last edited:
While we were all being distracted by the Cybertruck making laps, this happened:
Thanks for the info! I was actually made aware of this recently through Minecraft because your computer can be hacked into simply by typing into a Minecraft chat. This was swiftly packed in an update of the game as of today, but I know it caused havoc for a few days. Had no idea this was a global phenomenon.

Hopefully this can be kicked pretty quickly by other companies as well.

I'd assume in many states it would be illegal to drive without mirrors, at least on the driver side.
This site has some information on that: Is It Legal To Drive A Jeep Without Doors (Including States)

States that Require Jeep Drivers to Have a Single Mirror Include:​

• Alabama
  • New Mexico
  • Indiana
  • Illinois
  • Montana
  • Texas
  • Utah

States that Require Jeep Drivers to Have Two Mirrors Include:​

• California
  • Oklahoma
  • Washington
I think there are some other Jeep sites with a more comprehensive list of state requirements.

I've been watching Sandy Munro's video as per one of the above links.

For someone who makes his living dissecting and critiquing automobiles, I am astonished that, at around the 12-minute mark, he complains that there is no self-opening/closing front hood/bonnet, except from 3rd-party modifiers.

One of the here-we-go-again recurring discussions within TMC's early years addressed just this. And then, after a few back-and-forths, one cognoscente would step in and state "Because the laws do not allow it!". And, apparently, not just USA laws but EU - and the rest of the world - as well.

So.

Is this just one more "Must be so 'cuz someone on the internet said so" myths, or is it specifically the case? I come down on the side of "It Likely Is", because it is such an obvious, oft-requested modification that I find it inconceivable that at least one manufacturer - possibly just one niche player - would offer it were it allowed.

One of the here-we-go-again recurring discussions within TMC's early years addressed just this. And then, after a few back-and-forths, one cognoscente would step in and state "Because the laws do not allow it!". And, apparently, not just USA laws but EU - and the rest of the world - as well.

Is this just one more "Must be so 'cuz someone on the internet said so" myths, or is it specifically the case? I come down on the side of "It Likely Is", because it is such an obvious, oft-requested modification that I find it inconceivable that at least one manufacturer - possibly just one niche player - would offer it were it allowed.
Is it only sedans that don't allow it? Because the Rivian R1T has a powered frunk, as does the F150 Lightning.

Nope, that doesn't seem to be the case, the Lucid Air has a powered frunk:

So it appears that Tesla just isn't interested in offering it at this time. (Just like they didn't initially ship the Model 3 with a powered trunk.)

For someone who makes his living dissecting and critiquing automobiles, I am astonished that, at around the 12-minute mark, he complains that there is no self-opening/closing front hood/bonnet, except from 3rd-party modifiers.

So.

Lucid seems to get away with it in their car - with self opening/closing operated from the fob or app. See timestamped vid from Doug DeMuro

Reactions: mltv and MP3Mike

So.

Per Demuro review, seems like lucid can motorize the frunk. Doesn't show if can remote close (other than button inside lid) though