Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Halted 10.6?
Technically 10.6 was halted very early on with very few installs and I think it was several days before a 10.6.1 came out. It seems it’s really still just being smoke tested by employees and very few beta testers other than ppl who had already installed the 10.6 version. I’m surprised that one would get the actual 10.6 in the past few days.

I disagree regarding range. I think 200 miles is more than sufficient for most robotaxis which is the primary use case of M2. Won't be a popular comment here but that is how Elon thinks - most of Tesla's work can be traced back to creating the most effective RT. Sonic the Hedgehog included.
So, a Brit goes on holiday to Southern France, and drives 750 miles; 1500 including the return trip. what is a reasonable price for the RT? At his destination, where does he leave his stuff, now he can’t leave anything in his car. And that trip to visit another city here and to that nice town there, each trip costs like what? Let’s say $0.50 per mile (cheaper than I heard other people say, who talk about $1-2). That would be over $750. Just to travel. How attractive do you think that option will be to common people. The range you mention is insufficient for lots of people just to visit their folks without a charging stop. People are currently not flocking to 200 miles cars. I don’t see why they would do that in the future.

Woke up today thinking about regen. Several recent tidbits and rumours led to this.

Semi production has started.
Rumoured to have approx 1000km range (600 mile plus).
Cybertruck on test track.
Elon tweet about legacy having no idea.

All hints to 4680 cells coming on line soon.

It’s nagged for some time that a Tesla is 90% efficient at delivering energy from battery to kinetic and potential, but only 60% efficient at recovering it.

Wondering if 4680 cells hold the key to recovering energy as efficiently as it’s delivered. Battery day suggested these cells would deliver 16% more range (a huge additional competitive advantage), without saying why. Obviously it’s not good business to blab about new function in the pipeline… the Osborne lesson.

Thoughts/corrections welcomed, thanks.
Yes on the regen. A four-motor Semi taking an 80,000lb load down a Colorado mountainside at 65mph will generate a LOT of kW. The 4680's will be able to take this power load without heating up too much.

And - as any Tesla owner will attest, regenerative braking makes you a safer driver because you tend to keep more distance behind the vehicle in front, so that you can exploit regen as much as possible. Will be nice for semi drivers to start driving that way :)

More 4680 thoughts... it's worth noting the comment from an anonymous Tesla employee that was circulated here recently. (I wish I could find it and link to it) The quote was something like "4680 will be game-changer due to the tabless design, which allows for much faster charging." Tabless design/faster charging was the top-billed advantage that the employee mentioned. If we look at the charging curve of the 18650-based Plaid Model S that was published in Car And Driver, it can hold at 250kW for five minutes. If the 4680-based cars can hold 250kW for ten minutes, that gets you a significant number of miles added in just 10 minutes, and brings the optics of "a realistic ten-minute charge" into view. If a faster Supercharging standard is introduced, as Elon announced at the Cybertruck reveal (it'll be capable of more than 250 kilowatts, we'll reveal the actual number later"), ten minutes would get you even more range, and/or you could depart sooner.

I think the 4680 is the battery generation which will "kill" the gasoline refilling time advantage. There may still be a difference; but it's lost in the noise of "how fast do you get out of your car" / "are you wiping the bugs off the windshield" / "are you going into the store to get snacks" / "are you messing around with luggage in the trunk while you fill up" etc.

Technically 10.6 was halted very early on with very few installs and I think it was several days before a 10.6.1 came out. It seems it’s really still just being smoke tested by employees and very few beta testers other than ppl who had already installed the 10.6 version. I’m surprised that one would get the actual 10.6 in the past few days.
Ya this agrees with the list on TeslaFi showing current/previous.
On timing, I started at 10.5 about 2.5 weeks ago. 10.6 was rather recent maybe last week, then 10.6.1 yesterday.

Forward Observing

Washington & EVs “Tesla makes up 60% of WA state’s car fleet“ (2% of entire car fleet). Damned good compared to 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 . . .

Is it time for you to drive a new or used electric car? Here are some incentives in Washington state, Seattle Times​

Funny, the Leaf still gets 75 miles to the charge. We opted out of the initial Leaf sales simply because I was driving/commuting 65 miles a day one way. No chargers at the college back then.

I think the article presented is a good read and well developed. While I can afford conversion to electrification, the average human cannot, and should have generic incentives. That way the individual can buy “a” what they can afford and “b” free choice as to brand.

Have a good Day

So, Mom is waiting on daughter for girls shopping morning. Both of us are hoping the girl drives the Y!

That stage being set: Mrs. X obviously could drive any vehicle she desired. What she did drive was a Honda Accord. Small, safe, suitable for urban Japanese streets. That is: sensible.
As an Accord connoisseur, if it was a 1991 Honda Accord, it may have been the best ICE ever made. I see that version as more superlative than sensible.

All others, 100% agree on sensible. Thank you for the detailed post.

Did it look like this?
523264F3-BABA-42C6-A407-9FABDEA481B0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
What’s the downside of portfolio margin vs. regular margin?

The main disadvantage of portfolio margin seems to be less time to resolve margin calls. According to TD, portfolio margin has 2 days instead of up to 5 days for regular margin. Otoh more buying power should decrease the likelihood of a margin call, especially if holding a lot of options.

Besides that, everything else seems positive or the same, including margin interest rates remaining the same. Normalizing my holdings to $1M, here's roughly what happened:

Regular margin
TSLA stock and options: $1M
Options buying power: $225k
Cash available for withdrawal: $225k
Stock buying power: $450k
Margin balance: $60k

Portfolio margin
Options buying power: $520k
Cash available for withdrawal: $520k
Stock buying power: $520k

The main disadvantage of portfolio margin seems to be less time to resolve margin calls. According to TD, portfolio margin has 2 days instead of up to 5 days for regular margin. Otoh more buying power should decrease the likelihood of a margin call, especially if holding a lot of options.

Besides that, everything else seems positive or the same, including margin interest rates remaining the same. Normalizing my holdings to $1M, here's roughly what happened:

Regular margin
Options buying power: $225k
Cash available for withdrawal: $225k
Stock buying power: $450k

Portfolio margin
Options buying power: $520k
Cash available for withdrawal: $520k
Stock buying power: $520k

Interesting…thanks for this. I needed to back up a step and get more background info, and found these blog posts from TD helpful.

Interesting…thanks for this. I needed to back up a step and get more background info, and found these blog posts from TD helpful.

I should mention that TD requires passing a 20 question 30 minute online test to qualify. I believe the test can be taken multiple times, but the questions were hard for me. Thank goodness for the internet... I didn't even know there was a Greek for the interest rate impact on options prices!

Yes on the regen. A four-motor Semi taking an 80,000lb load down a Colorado mountainside at 65mph will generate a LOT of kW. The 4680's will be able to take this power load without heating up too much.

An 80k lb Semi coming down a 7% grade at 65 mph needs about 730 kw in braking power (net continuous) to perform that descent without increasing its speed.

There are a few 7 mile stretches like that on certain highways (although many are much shorter). But call it a max of 7 minutes giving a total of 78.5 kwh of energy, at a regen rate of 730 kw.

That's very close to a 1.2C charge rate (well within bty specs) on a 300 Mile range Semi (assuming a 600 kwh bty). Semi will consume about 15 kw of that regen power, the rest will go to charging the bty and charging losses / heat.

So it'll be fine. Easy, peasy, lemon-squeezy. :D

BTW, this is why big diesel trucks have to slow down on steep descents. Their engine (jake) brakes can not absorb that much braking energy, so they slow down to decrease the potential energy absorbed per unit of time. Of course, friction brakes are overwhelmed by heat in just a few 10s of seconds.

Now, who wants to know how fast a Semi with a 1 MWh bty pack can come down that mountain w/o overheating its battery pack? Any guesses? :D

Cheers!

So, a Brit goes on holiday to Southern France, and drives 750 miles; 1500 including the return trip. what is a reasonable price for the RT? At his destination, where does he leave his stuff, now he can’t leave anything in his car. And that trip to visit another city here and to that nice town there, each trip costs like what? Let’s say $0.50 per mile (cheaper than I heard other people say, who talk about $1-2). That would be over $750. Just to travel. How attractive do you think that option will be to common people. The range you mention is insufficient for lots of people just to visit their folks without a charging stop. People are currently not flocking to 200 miles cars. I don’t see why they would do that in the future.
It ~depends~. But let's do some calculations, cuz it's Sunday and it's fun.

50 cents per mile is cheap, 750 dollars is expensive.

Say you get one of those swanky Model 3's or Y's, say 55K for a car you like and taxes paid. Now, the second hand car market is weird so it's kind of a guess what the value would be after 2 years. Say you land on 35K after 2 years post-covid times. That's 10K a year. Say you do 10K miles a year, that averages on a dollar per mile of cost, excluding charging.

Change the values to get different results, but you'd need to get 45K back after 2 years/20K miles to be break-even to a robotaxi, and that's excluding insurance and charging costs.

Truth be told, that Brit would be better off taking the high speed rail to the south of France and get a robotaxi there. Chances are that'd be cheaper. Taking an airplane would be even cheaper, but that's cheating cuz there is no VAT on airplane tickets.

An 80k lb Semi coming down a 7% grade at 65 mph needs about 730 kw in braking power (net continuous) to perform that descent without increasing its speed.

There are a few 7 mile stretches like that on certain highways (although many are much shorter). But call it a max of 7 minutes giving a total of 78.5 kwh of energy, at a regen rate of 730 kw.

That's very close to a 1.2C charge rate (well within bty specs) on a 300 Mile range Semi (assuming a 600 kwh bty). Semi will consume about 15 kw of that regen power, the rest will go to charging the bty and charging losses / heat.

BTW, this is why big diesel trucks have to slow down on steep descents. Their engine (jake) brakes can not absorb that much braking energy, so they slow down to decrease the potential energy absorbed per unit of time. Of course, friction brakes are overwhelmed by heat in just a few 10s of seconds.

Now, who wants to know how fast a Semi with a 1 MWh bty pack can come down that mountain w/o overheating its battery pack? Any guesses? :D

Cheers!

Tesla can easily do testing on this. Hauling battery packs from the GF in Nevada, over Donner Pass in the Sierras, and down to the plant in Fremont. Probably have already done it more times than we know.

One of the DARPA Robot challenges was having the bot drive an ATV, walk up stairs, open doors, use a hand drill, etc. The idea was having the robots use tools and work in places designed for humans.

Assume that Tesla is successful with Tesla Bot, and Tesla Bot can drive. Then almost any vehicle that can be operated by humanoids can be operated by Tesla Bot.

With a Tesla Bot chauffeur, one can upgrade their existing non-autonomous car to autonomous. Same goes for the lawn mower, the tractor, the zamboni, the locomotive, rickshaw, bus, helicopter, space shuttle, etc. (etc. etc. to appease Audi's affinity for fine musicals).

With this single bot, anything that used to require a human operator can now be automated--without needing to redesign the original vehicle, which can still be used manually if desired.

Plus you get a plastic pal who's fun to be with. Win-Win.

I should mention that TD requires passing a 20 question 30 minute online test to qualify. I believe the test can be taken multiple times, but the questions were hard for me. Thank goodness for the internet... I didn't even know there was a Greek for the interest rate impact on options prices!

Laughed not because you didn’t know but because it made me think, “Yeah, there’s a Greek for that.”

Reactions: mrmage and Paul_SF

Sounds about right. My rounded arithmetic worked out to 726 kW**
But Tesla has said ~ 2 kWh/mile consumed on the flat. If that was 65 mph then 130 kW of drag+ so about 600 kW braking power.

And since the truck just depleted the SoC getting up the hill, 1C regen does not sound like much of a challenge. Moreover, the driver always has the choice of starting the descent at a slower speed. 55 mph would be ~ 15% slower so 108 kW less potential power and 20 kW less drag for a net 88 kW less braking power needed. Now the 'small battery' Tesla Semi is at about 0.8C regen

** Lazy me. I took 7% grade as 0.07 radians

Last edited:
Reactions: StealthP3D

Cheers!
Is that an unladen African Semi or European?

I’ll just put this out there, but if ppl are frequently trading on margin or hitting margin thresholds, you really should be looking at alternative options than some of the above brokerages. I have accounts everywhere (including TD and Schwab, among many others), for various reasons, but where I think I’m going to be hitting up my margin needs, those and many others are not where I park that capitol or shares.