Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get your belts ready!

Interesting that this isn't listed as being a limited edition. (And hasn't gone out of stock yet.) The scalpers that bought a bunch and put them on eBay immediately may end up stuck with them, or selling them for a loss. ;)

Profit should be really good on these, the knock-offs, which look really close to the real thing, were selling for ~$30 on eBay.

Looking into my foggy ball, I think we'll get a mini rally tomorrow with a minor sell-off into the close on Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning, and what happens next depends on Fed press comments. If Powell does any sort of walkback on the hawkish comments he made before Congress, we'll rally hard. If his hawkish comments are reiterated, however, we're in for some more near-term pain and will at least fill the gap at ~$910, if not go sub-$900, until Elon stops selling or FOMO over Q4 P&D kicks in.

I do think if we crack $950 then $910 will come super fast.

In reality, I have no clue what's going to happen, but it's fun to try and guess.
you don’t think pre market sell off prior to the uncertainty Is a possibility?

Interesting that this isn't listed as being a limited edition. (And hasn't gone out of stock yet.) The scalpers that bought a bunch and put them on eBay immediately may end up stuck with them, or selling them for a loss. ;)

Profit should be really good on these, the knock-offs, which look really close to the real thing, were selling for ~$30 on eBay.
I don't see any knock offs on ebay. I do see people selling them for $300. Not sure why as it has not sold out yet. And it might not ever.

& I would just add too as someone with a perspective on the magnitude of the problem & opportunities climate change presents, don't sweat the details and worry much about short or even medium term variability in the stock price unless something changes about the fundamentals of the company. They're a sector leader and will remain so in markets that are vaster than anything that's come before. think back to the 80s & 90s at the beginnings of the digital revolution when the microsofts, apples, and googles were being spun up, and here we are ~30 years later and they're still expanding rapidly and returning value to their stockholders. Tesla has a high probability of doing the same for many decades (most of the rest of our lives?) into the future given the magnitude of their addressable markets.
Most folks, even the investors on this forum, don't appreciate the scope of work that's ahead. Entire countries are rolling up to Tesla this week looking for storage solutions to all the solar and wind they already have in place.

We can think of Tesla Automotive as the Mac and Tesla Energy as the iPhone. 5 years from now Tesla will be signing multidecade hardware/services contracts in the billion dollar range. 10 years from now Tesla will operate and/or just optimize interconnected microgrids spanning entire countries. Then of course it's continents.

I don't see any knock offs on ebay. I do see people selling them for $300. Not sure why as it has not sold out yet. And it might not ever.
It is hard to find them now as eBay is flooded with the real thing. But here is a knock-off:

The main difference is that the Texas Lone Star is raised on the knock-offs instead of being flat/inset. (And the metal tin they come in, though some of them bought empty boxes from employees and put their knock-offs in them or showed them in the box but said they were keeping the box as a keepsake.) The knock offs have been on eBay since 11/29. Though they quickly raised the price as they sold quickly.

Saw an ad for this thing just now on our tv.

Bmw has taken weirdmobility to next level.

Well, look at the bright side: at least that one does not have the new BMW-grille pattern that scares all the beavers.
1639431308288.png

1639431349499.png

you don’t think pre market sell off prior to the uncertainty Is a possibility?

In my scenario, I do think we'll get a minor sell-off going into Wednesday afternoon - either on Tuesday PM or Wednesday AM, probably bringing us right back to around current levels. Then we tread water and wait for Fed press conference to either break down further or bounce.

Reactions: NooB_cat
Shouldn't it have already been there and therefore no outage? Why is this even a thing there...

You may have heard, but battery cells are in short supply. You can either build cars at Fremont with those cells, or keep the lights on (but then build no cars).

Fremont's power outage will be a matter of hours. It will not affect quarterly output (bottleneck is parts supply, not GA). People love to get overdramatic.

Didn't check, but did this 'news' come from a certain 'woodcutter' twit? :p

Shouldn't it have already been there and therefore no outage? Why is this even a thing there...
Automotive manufacturing plants are notoriously high energy consumers… more so than one would expect. Its not just the heavy manufacturing body shop or the final assembly but often the paint shop uses the MOST energy overall. And that is just the energy that goes into direct costs for manufacturing. In a giant large usually open space bigger often than giant aircraft hangers, just HEATING the place for the employees is a massive energy suck. Oddly, paint shop is often the overall highest consumer since air handing is such a priority in order to keep air particles out for quality spray and having no impurities in the paint jobs. It’s also very cavernous (like a manufacturing facility overall) and that too has to be quite precisely temperature controlled - again like the big open manufacturing facility space. All large consumers of energy. Much of this is high voltage electricity but a plant will certainly use nat gas to create the heat required for plant operations during the colder months. Freemont certainly has more stable temperature for the winter months, compared to say southern or east Germany, but laws of thermodynamics say - bigger open volume of air require more energy to change temp, up or down. up is actually harder and requires more energy than down.

This is not to say that Tesla energy couldn’t put in some large megapack array (might not be able to replace the air heating scenarios unless one had simply true heat exchangers) but could certainly keep ops running, certainly final assembly for some period of time. But, is it worth it, for the maybe half day or shift of downtime that might occur once every 18 months? I’m sure (or at least I HOPE) that someone in Tesla vehicle manufacturing and Tesla energy has done this thought exercise with some real numbers from their factory. Something tells me they probably have.

Well, look at the bright side: at least that one does not have the new BMW-grille pattern that scares all the beavers.
There are few times when I have used the word FUGLY for a car and certainly probably less than 1 or 2 with BMW’s (having owned four starting with an ‘88 M3 - MAN I should have never sold that car)

But damb, these things are just fugly

You may have heard, but battery cells are in short supply. You can either build cars at Fremont with those cells, or keep the lights on (but then build no cars).

Fremont's power outage will be a matter of hours. It will not affect quarterly output (bottleneck is parts supply, not GA). People love to get overdramatic.

Didn't check, but did this 'news' come from a certain 'woodcutter' twit? :p
hahaha, I know I know. But like, batteries is their thing...I think they have some storage there right? or is that Nevada? I'm just saying one would think a company selling storage would not have this problem...

Ugh 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Come on people use your brains here. The India official is clearly referencing the article that was taken down about the China official saying Giga China would hit 500k production for 2021.

It would require production of like 87,000 for Dec. That's not even close to being in the realm of possibility at this point given Nov production numbers. Which btw, still trying to make sense of the Nov production numbers. How they only did 2,000 or so more production in Nov when there was a whole week of downtime in Oct makes no sense. There must have been rolling off days throughout Nov due to something like parts supplies.

on cnn

The Rivian R1T has just been awarded the 2022 MotorTrend Truck of the Year Award just a month after the Lucid Air won the Car of the Year award
Pile that award up next to the Level 3 autonomy award for Mercedes EQS that has a whole bunch of fine print written all over it. Nothing on Rivian, I think they'll do fine. But apparently just being able to prototype a vehicle is all you have to do to have it be considered a contender for a vehicle of the year category. Nikola needs to take notes.