Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed! I applaud @StarFoxisDown! for putting more context around his strategy even though it’s more than folks usually disclose. Those somewhat personal details (such as what you have available to fall back on) are actually vitally important to understanding a strategy and why it might or might not be useful for someone else.
Yeah I don't mind sharing more specific numbers since I feel this board is a broad mixture of different ranges of net worth. I'm sure there are many on this board that make my portfolio look small.

If everything goes well or just according to plan on Tesla executing, most of the proceeds will go to family and charities (I'm big on wildlife conservation and most of the money will go to a variety of them)

Last edited:
Maybe I should investigate LEAPS before I retire. I am somewhere between 3 mos to 15 mos before that likely occurs. Range depends on trade-off between emotional factors and rational factors lol. Was leaving anything to do w options til retirement. Don’t think I would use margin though. I really like how you are creating such leverage to increase your shares vs the old fashioned way which is how I am increasing them.
DITM LEAPs are great IMHO as I've sold stock to buy them and can turn around and sell calls which ends up paying for itself (the extrinsic value) over roughly 1 to 6 months.

The fed news appears to have been well received by the market. Hopefully the guidance is enough to allow the market to continue its run.

1639602479446.png

Last edited:
Lol, they say you can't teach an old** dog new tricks, but you CAN steal his breakfast... :p

(i don't LEAP; my chairs are very comfortable).

Cheers!

**P.S. Risk at 32 is different than risk at 64. If you get wiped out at 32, you have 2x more life to rebuild. If you get wiped out at 64, ur unlikely to rebuild at all.
Completely agree which is why I cannot go all in on TSLA. But (and I say this with a dollop of knowledge), I was under the impression that I could do a version of what @StarFoxisDown! did, that is a subset of our overall portfolio, and still get more leverage. There is no way I would risk any where close to our entire portfolio. Since we are sharing context, my investment objective for the Tesla investment, is to have it be the replacement for other assets which may be reduced/consumed if their annual returns don’t provide the retirement income we need. I will admit, the larger the Tesla investment gets, the more flexibility that gives us to do things. And the faster it gets to the targets I’ve set, the same. Hence my interest.

Last edited:
The title of this article made me laugh out loud.

I don’t think this is true of Apple and it’s laughably bad with regards to Tesla. Their estimate for revenue in 2022 and 2023 is $73B and $89B which is low and they don’t seem to take into account that we’re entering 1Q 2022 with the highest margins ever.

Add to that the recent dip which is spring loading the share price and Tesla is primed for a gangbusters 2022.

During the last two sessions, TSLA has dipped a bit into the gap created by the October 25th Hertz announcement of its intent to buy Tesla cars. Both dips have been followed by strong afternoon bounces above that zone. That’s encouraging, and keeps the potentially bullish pennant pattern intact. Meanwhile, I’d like to see a return to the 50-day SMA (simple moving average), which now stands at $1018, to suggest clear sailing ahead.

TL; DR: Kicking gas & taking names.

Notable Quotable:
"Tesla Model Y and Model 3 are the two most popular premium vehicles in the U.S. for the first 10 months of 2021, regardless of powertrain. Tesla shows what electric vehicle leadership really looks like.

According to the latest new vehicle registration data from Experian, published by Automotive News, the U.S. luxury market has identified a clear winner. Having seriously competed with Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and Lexus, Tesla cars objectively and categorically have taken the lead. According to the data for the first 10 months of 2021, the Tesla Model Y crossover and Tesla Model 3 sedan were the two most popular vehicles offered by any premium brand, regardless of powertrain."

So what are the main options for Elon's selling?

Most likely at the top?
  1. Continue 5 ish more sales - 1 per week until mid Jan (ahead of ER)
  2. Complete all sales this Friday - triple witching plus S&P500 rebalancing
  3. Accelerate to complete pre xmas
  4. Donate to charity - Uni etc. - no more selling required
  5. Avoid selling over the holidays - resume early Jan and complete Feb
Anymore that are more than 10% likely to occur?
Following also likely:
Discretionary sales close due to timing of material events. 10b5-1 can continue as planned. That said... Elon likely has 4 more sales left. Which I'd guess will happen Friday, once next week and twice in the final week of the year so he can avoid some taxes that start next year.
Gary Black suggesting Elon will need to wait until post ER.

I would probably bet 1x Tesla M3 on it!
This was a bet on UK GF vs betting a share. Might be cheaper to bet the share... We will get one eventually so suggest you both hold off your betting.
TL;DR If the FED does not surprise, we should see afternoon rally. Or at least no more diving.
Prescient.
Indeed, fear of what the FOMC (Federal Open Market Committee) may say in a couple of hours seems to be driving down the market averages. It’s particularly affecting automakers including Tesla. As you note, the FOMC has to juggle demands to cap inflation while boosting the economy amid the reignition of the pandemic.

So, some traders are apparently moving to the sidelines by selling shares ahead of the FOMC announcement. Less obviously, some investors may be writing (selling) covered call options to mitigate risk. They may not realize that this forces market makers to buy the calls and sell stock shares as a hedge.

Uncertainty about what the FOMC may say appears to be pressuring the stock market. Once their opinions are expressed, that pressure may be released. We’ll see.
Prescient.

TL; DR: Kicking gas & taking names.

Notable Quotable:
"Tesla Model Y and Model 3 are the two most popular premium vehicles in the U.S. for the first 10 months of 2021, regardless of powertrain. Tesla shows what electric vehicle leadership really looks like.

According to the latest new vehicle registration data from Experian, published by Automotive News, the U.S. luxury market has identified a clear winner. Having seriously competed with Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and Lexus, Tesla cars objectively and categorically have taken the lead. According to the data for the first 10 months of 2021, the Tesla Model Y crossover and Tesla Model 3 sedan were the two most popular vehicles offered by any premium brand, regardless of powertrain."
Next year’s article will be similar, but the word “Premium” will be removed. With the Texas plant coming online, Model Y will be the best selling car in the US in 2023.

The fed news appears to have been well received by the market. Hopefully the guidance is enough to allow the market to continue its run.

View attachment 744736

TSLA caught up in the final minutes to just edge out the 2 major indices:

TSLA.chart.2021-12-15.16-00.png

Another rollercoaster day for TSLA, finishing in a near dead-heat... :p

Cheers!

Put Walls haven't been respected for about 2-3 weeks straight at this point. There were very large put walls at 1,050/1,000/950 and so on over the past 2 weeks and none of them even came close to holding up
Hedgies like to acquire the cheap shares to cut down their FTD's...