Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are ground mounted solar systems, that come pre-packaged,
That part of the process is take the panel unit of the truck, unfold it, and install it on the hopefully close to level ground.

The best surface to use in an emergency would be sports fields, or some flat and level land.

However, even for a standalone system everything needs to be wired up, the solar could probably be deployed in a day with a sufficient number of parallel teams.

Making the connections is probably done fastest using poles, they probably need at least 1 pole for every row of solar and additional poles are needed for the battery bank. Or the other way is drop a battery at the end of each row of solar and run the cables on the ground in suitable conduit..

The everything needs to be run up and tested, but again this is something that could proceed in parallel.

This system would not connect to the grid, it could provide fast charging services for EVs, Trucks and Megapacks.

So one day is remotely possible with a good plan and highly skilled team prior rehearsal and modular approach that allows parallel construction.
Getting sufficient trained people the right block of land, logistics and equipment on site and deployed in a day is a big challenge, but if they aim for a day, it is probably all up and running day 2 or day 3.
Perhaps like this:

We were talking about replacing generators brought in by the feds rather than solar+storage. Certainly nothing is gonna bring the grid back up, it's completely destroyed anyway.

What you could definitely do is deploy tons and tons of solar on temporary racking in some of the farm fields immediately surrounding the town and use them to charge mobile megapacks. That could 100% be accomplished within 24hrs.

The array on my flat roof in Philly could have been installed and running within 4hrs by 3 military trained installers with military resources. Just scale that up by 1000x and you've got plenty of emergency power within 24hrs. The megapacks and any management hardware/software would be just be rolled in plug and play.

Edit to add: And my array produced plenty today, near the winter solstice. Regardless, just add as much as is needed. It's only temporary and the farmland is endless.
Tesla did a small similar PV in 2017 in Puerto Rico at a hospital after hurricane Maria (and hurricane Irma)

What I find interesting about Tesla fans is one day they'll say Edmunds is a POS media company that no one cares about when an article like this comes out

Then next minute. O hey look Edmunds gave a model 3 an award!! Everyone look!

It probably isn't the same people making the posts but it really feels like some confirmation bias lol.

LOL no.

As someone who has actually driven that road, more than once, and in more than one sports car, it's not at all a "tough" road when you are doing 20-25 mph as he did nearly all of it (never got above 30, occasionally dropped below 20).

The road is very clearly and well marked, with no real intersections and no lane changes- exactly the type of road that's EASY for self driving, especially at hilariously low speed.

All the accidents that happen there all the time are idiots doing 2-3 times the speed that guy was and failing to be able to handle the curves doing that.

Meanwhile I'm over here on FSDBeta 10.6.1 and it still gives up on a specific T-intersection that's traffic light controlled (well, gives up in that when I'm making the left onto the cross-road and my light turns green it tells me I need to manually push the accelerator to go-- if I do it'll auto-steer through the turn... but if I let off before the turn it done the car just stops in the middle of the intersection and sits there)

Not that it isn't improving... on easy roads with no traffic it's almost flawless now... but it still does a lot of dumb things otherwise.
I have same opinion on FSD Beta, not really complaining but they really need to concentrate on Left and Right turn, winding road speed limit sign recognition should be priority as well.

• Helpful
Reactions: DragonWatch
What I find interesting about Tesla fans is one day they'll say Edmunds is a POS media company that no one cares about when an article like this comes out

It probably isn't the same people making the posts but it really feels like some confirmation bias lol.

Ridiculous.

We do this with everyone.

1639635254893.png

Tesla Energy isn't the only thing currently discounted in the present day stock price. Dominating autoinsurance someday should be another lucrative revenue source at some point...

FSD is getting better at driving on tough roads, faster than you might think:

Tesla Autopilot vs America's Most Dangerous Road | YouTube

Well, my husband who has FSD beta in his car has taken to talking about the car like it is a person. Every time he comes home after a trip out with the car, he regales me with stories of what the car did today. He speaks about the car as if he is an adoring parent talking about a mischievous child. Yesterday, he came home and the first thing he says to me is "you know what this smartass tried to do today....." and then went on the explain how the car kept "thinking" about trying to go around around a car ahead of it in the left turn lane while they were waiting for a left turn. He could see the dotted line kept shifting from straight to around the car ahead as it tried to decide. (it didn't actually do that - so he did not disengage the FSD).

After listening to the full story I asked - "You do know the car is not a real person, right?"

His answer "The AI is clearly growing up and getting smarter" :):)

Should I be a little worried?

I am very confident BBB will pass at some point within the next 8 weeks, probably within 4 weeks.

Have to remember the main part of BBB that politics is focused on is not the EV tax credit, but rather the enhanced child tax credit - which expires in 2 weeks if BBB doesn’t pass. The child tax credit gets paid to ~35 million families on the 15th of the month, so Biden will need to sign the BBB into law by mid-January to ensure the January payment is made (including to all the families in Senator Manchin’s home state of course), so Dems have a huge incentive to have it done within the next 4 weeks.

Of course there is also an argument that either a delay past mid-January, or a failed vote, either of which results in no January payment, might possibly be a shrewd calculated gamble to emphasize to voters nationwide what they are getting from the Dems in this Bill (and what happens when it doesn’t pass and they notice no payments into their accounts), and provides good fodder for the 2022 campaigns that will record who was responsible for the child tax credit being extended (eventually), and who voted against it.

So my read is the BBB, including the EV tax credit, will be passed no later than mid-Feb, and probably before mid-Jan.
I disagree as the more I read up about the senator from WV the more I become convinced that he doesn’t care about policies apart from enriching himself and doing the bidding of his corporate donors.
His strategy is to run out the clock untill the mid terms when the dems are expected to lose control of both houses.

In term if the EV credit it will have a short term impact on the timing of some US demand as people will defer buying as will they/won’t they pass the bill will be in the news but as the mid terms approach more people will realise no EV credit.

I haven't even looked at it. Edmunds know that their bread and butter comes from hits, and they do everything at both ends of the spectrum to get hits. They're owned by Carmax. Not going to be an unbiased media operation.

Ford Can’t Make EVs Fast Enough … and Might Not Want To​

For those that cannot get past the paywall: Ford stopped taking orders on the F150 Lightning because it is not making as much on these as the ICE Pickups. The profits are not as good on the electric trucks.

Classic innovators dilemma.
And as pointed out earlier, Ford’s single EV F150 transaction involves giving up a corresponding high margin ICE sale to further hamper their margins...for Ford:

Profit = (EV Vehicle profit) - (ICE Vehicle profit lost due to EV sale)

So, if Ford only loses $5,000 on each Lightning they sell, well, if that Lightning sale also loses them $15,000 ICE profit, each Lightning really costs them $20,000!

Furthermore, the (EV Vehicle profit) is strained because it must be shared with their dealers.... It's (EV dealer wholesale price) - (Cost to produce)

So Tesla's advantage here is:
  • No ICE sale lost for each EV sold
  • No sharing of manufacturing profit with dealers
  • Economies of scale beyond all other EV manufacturers
  • Continued profitability enhancements through mfg
While Tesla's gross margins are industry leading and trending upwards, legacy auto must trend downwards long before it can recover and recovery is NOT guaranteed.

Well, my husband who has FSD beta in his car has taken to talking about the car like it is a person. Every time he comes home after a trip out with the car, he regales me with stories of what the car did today. He speaks about the car as if he is an adoring parent talking about a mischievous child. Yesterday, he came home and the first thing he says to me is "you know what this smartass tried to do today....." and then went on the explain how the car kept "thinking" about trying to go around around a car ahead of it in the left turn lane while they were waiting for a left turn. He could see the dotted line kept shifting from straight to around the car ahead as it tried to decide. (it didn't actually do that - so he did not disengage the FSD).

After listening to the full story I asked - "You do know the car is not a real person, right?"

His answer "The AI is clearly growing up and getting smarter" :):)

Should I be a little worried?

Has your husband named the car Christine? If so, oh yes, ruuuun!

OMG, I‘ve met Bob and frankly I didn’t really even know he was still alive.. (I’m not channeling the leader here either)
Hope everyone here has seen the documentary "Revenge of the Electric Car". An iconic scene in that documentary is Elon and Bob going together around LA Auto Show looking at EVs from other rivals like Nissan.

Sure he had some criticisms about Tesla, but I feel that's because he's from a different era when people used to smoke cigars in offices.. Still, the ultimate insult to Mary Barra would be that Bob was far more progressive than her. He did his best to drag GM kicking and screaming into the EV era despite his personal preferences, But alas GM went bankrupt.

My wishlist for today: Final permit for Berlin, also no share selling by Elon.
Who's with me?
in the german forum, they claim that the authorities are waiting for Tesla for some documents, so it's not the authorities' fault that no final permit is handed out yet.
I am not sure if it's true, it's what I read there.

Thunderbirds are GO!

Nasdaq 100 Dec 21 (NQ=F)​

CME Delayed Price. Currency in USD
16,400.25 +112.25 (+0.69%)

TSLA Pre-Market Quotes Live​

This page refreshes every 30 seconds.
Data last updated Dec 16, 2021 05:57 AM ET.

Consolidated Last Sale$998.92 +22.93 (+2.35%)
Pre-Market Volume80,283
Pre-Market High$1,001.49 (05:21:32 AM)
Pre-Market Low$992.67 (04:28:10 AM)

TSLA up 3.4x vs. macros.

Cheers!