Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
more news from Joe. Not sure if he means actual production for customer deliveries or for testing purposes

I was just about to make a post saying I might pick up some Jan 7th 1100 Calls in the last hour of trading today if the stock price continues to just do nothing. Nothing big dollar wise, just gambling money.

There is a possibility that next week we get a combination of Q4 300k P/D number + announcement of official start of production for Austin and/or Berlin. Those announcements could possibly come on the actual Q4 letter or be announced later in the week. That could create some fireworks similar to the breakout of the Hertz deal.

It's risk/reward play. And again, it's just gambling money. Money I'm ok with losing.

Reactions: chillerjt and deffu
I wonder how Tesla is dealing with end of year deliveries from their Superior, CO showroom.

Given that the City is still officially evacuated, and anything there burned to the ground, I don't think much is happening there today. We packed up as much as we could into 2 cars last night. Fortunately the winds were in our favor. Pretty scary night though.

ETA I think they lost about 25 cars and 16x 250kW chargers based on driving by a couple days ago.

The $650 was just for the Tesla Model 3 rim.
BMW 328i E90 is $504 just for the rim.

So if anyone asks, "How much does Tesla grab you by the short hairs on replacement parts, once you have bought the car?"

The factual answer is: "They 'grab you by the short hairs' more than BMW does. Almost 30% more."

So if anyone asks, "Is Tesla better on spare parts than those other cars are, like BMW [read Break My Wallet]?"
The factual answer is: "No, Tesla is worse on that dimension than BMW. But, But..."

Many here think customers like to be 'grabbed by the short hairs.'

As Zach and his ilk take over from Elon, we may see more of this and correspondingly less durable demand for the product. Depending on how you think customers like to be treated.

[Note: This is not a 'me' issue as I will get a wheel place to refinish, true, remount and balance the old wheel for $150 total. This is a Tesla investment forum issue as "creeping Zack ilk" will make Tesla perform just like all the other car companies over time as they are run by people with the same training. This set of posts is a 2 year advance warning to start looking at companies that will still be on mission. Maybe JB's recycling company? If you are thorough about your research, it is time to start looking. Nothing lasts forever. Life is a collection of moments. We are now in Tesla's moment.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Three axles also are more energy-consumptive, because of the greater footprint. That is one of the several reasons that heavy haulers like concrete mixers and Class 6 (7? Not sure) dump trucks have a liftable axle: when the haul weight is not there, they pull it up. Unfortunately, I don’t believe the superstructure in Tesla’s CT can make allowance for the space needed for a raised axle & tires.
Summary: an utterly minuscule market.
They also lift because tire scrubbing is something fierce on those vehicles. The tires in the middle axles are literally dragged across the pavement when turning.

• Informative
Reactions: JimS and UncaNed
I've bookmarked today's writings here on the forum. Rich in History, Economics, and Humanity (although challenging to follow for this techy). So 💯.

It addressed many of my ongoing questions (at least better understood) as we all try to plug in our own scenarios and goal for either surviving or thriving in the future. The most complex part was about how all of this is known (which is changing the equations realtime as share earlier today). The guard might even be reading this forum and watching our moves closely. Sadly, the average person has no idea what's going on, so I'm pretty lucky to even have a seat at this well rounded table. Humbled and grateful, thanks a bunch people of TMC!

I bet they don't teach this in school either. (I have no idea, the Business college building was right next to Engineering at NAU, yet it was the furthest thing from my mind at the time and the two "classes" never ate together). If only they had offered me History+Engineering+Economics etc... as one class. Invention was the key to my heart when I was about 12 yrs old, so to ignore the rest was a wasted opportunity. Elon clearly figured it out on his own.

The fact that my MQ wasn't/isn't the best, I literally cried when I found out that I was required to take American History in High School. It was simply because I knew it was just a pile of memorizing words with dates, not many pictures or graphs, stupid movies, and zero connection to anything else other than some propaganda written and approved by institutions who likely run the ship. (I have no idea if that's true, but wouldn't be surprised considering what is or is not in textbooks even today).

I don't know if it's dumb luck or just my ongoing sense of economic fear building up inside, but moving into owning TSLA and deleveraging I think was likely a good move (for us). The cash parts of this read had me a bit concerned regarding how to ride out the storm, so I have some more soul searching into how it fits our current scenario.

Best of luck to all, and thanks for being honest even if it does hurt to listen to some of it.

So if anyone asks, "How much does Tesla grab you by the short hairs on replacement parts, once you have bought the car?"

The factual answer is: "They 'grab you by the short hairs' more than BMW does. Almost 30% more."

So if anyone asks, "Is Tesla better on spare parts than those other cars are, like BMW [read Break My Wallet]?"
The factual answer is: "No, Tesla is worse on that dimension than BMW. But, But..."

If you are going to compare prices, you need to compare the same sized wheels at a minimum. Everyone knows bigger wheels cost more, the goal is to compare the same sized wheels.

What wheel sizes are your dollar figures representing the manufacturer's prices for?

Many here think customers like to be 'grabbed by the short hairs.'

As Zach and his ilk take over from Elon, we may see more of this and correspondingly less durable demand for the product. Depending on how you think customers like to be treated.

[Note: This is not a 'me' issue as I will get a wheel place to refinish, true, remount and balance the old wheel for $150 total. This is a Tesla investment forum issue as "creeping Zack ilk" will make Tesla perform just like all the other car companies over time as they are run by people with the same training. This set of posts is a 2 year advance warning to start looking at companies that will still be on mission. Maybe JB's recycling company? If you are thorough about your research, it is time to start looking. Nothing lasts forever. Life is a collection of moments. We are now in Tesla's moment.]

I'm 100% certain you are not accounting for inflation / time difference. E90 wasn't exactly made yesterday.

If you are thorough about your research, it is time to start looking. Nothing lasts forever. Life is a collection of moments. We are now in Tesla's moment.]

You seem to know a lot about these kinds of things.

Maybe you could list those key "moments" for other leaders in their respective fields:

MSFT
SBUX
GOOG
AMZN
AAPL
MNST
WMT
ABDE

That would be very helpful as I wouldn't have wanted to have been invested in any of these for too long, except for those special "moments" when they were good investments.

Last edited:
Doesn't Tesla make their own panels? Or do they buy them from a third party and do installation and software?

I think Tesla routinely buys third party panels. I don’t know if they ever made significant volumes of regular panels. Tiles, yes, panels no. Frankly, the manufacturing aspect of Solarcity never made any sense to me. Solarcity was always a financing company, and then they screwed that part up (Or rather, the shorts did a raid on them and would have succeeded were it not for Tesla bailing them out … but I bought a lot of SC bonds at a huge discount, so thanks shorts).