Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anyone here could be please tell this dumb ass, when to sell and when to buy, it would be greatly appreciated. My track record ( pre- HODL days) was pretty shitty. ,

Understand your limitations more than anything, if you suck at trading Tesla... don't. Just HODL. If you're great at trading Tesla, there is a good amount of money on the table. Will take a lot of work though. I feel like I'm a fairly good trader, and Tesla can still give me fits in short term movements.

If anyone here could be please tell this dumb ass, when to sell and when to buy, it would be greatly appreciated. My track record ( pre- HODL days) was pretty shitty. ,
Easy. Buy when you have extra cash. Sell only when you need eat'n money and the least amount you need to.

If we get over the $1210 level, I‘ll sell the whole position (500 shares) bought just before Xmas at $895. gotta stick with discipline.
I didn’t really think this would take a day, but I’m out again 4/5ths fo the position in the pre. Didn’t really think $1210 would be an EXACT number, but it was my target for this phase. Targeting later Jan’22 for possible re-entry

• Funny
Reactions: UncaNed and UCF3
Who thinks that the typical analysts we will see quarterly financial estimates will barely adjust estimates based on the production and delivery news. So I expect TSLA to continue to run up before earnings. Then shock from financial community when financials are better then expected.
Well I was a little off. Analysts took the results as the news for Q4 and will be shocked again when financials come out better then what they expected before delivery report came out.

Only have a tip on the buy part:
Buy on macro, non-Tesla related dips where the headlines have grownup words that I should understand by now: 10 year, T Bonds, inflation.
On Tesla related dips - CT glass breaks, trunk latch recall. Anything you think a man that lands rockets back down to earth should be able to fix.

I'm just glad I dumped my last remaining Call Option yesterday in the green (just barely), then a few chairs to round out the numbers. But what bothers me more is when your brother Bob calls you an idiot for not selling more yesterday. Sadly, he's down to less than 10 shares total which is what I've seen happen to the daytrading strategy. All it takes is one miscalculation and you're out of the race and having to pay even more to get back in it.

It's pretty difficult to HODL folks bc we know someone out there (even here) just cycled it perfectly, but I still think this won't matter at all in a few short weeks. I almost bought the shares back a moment ago, but decided to keep a little cash. Only sorry that I didn't have a crystal ball is all, have you seen it anywhere?
Those genetics just keep nipping at your heels, huh?

Yeah but people rarely come on to say "I sold at 1000 and had to buy back at 1100."

Personally I've learned to trim to my goal exposure after big run ups. I did not yesterday because I'm super bullish on Q4 earnings, and P&D might even have some juice left as the week progresses.
I think we've seen this only a couple times here. Not only would they have to feel like dog poo during the whole gap up while saying to themselves - "If I'd just left it alone", or "If we didn't buy our Tesla for cash." But imagine buying in higher up, then it drops cuz you swore it was about ready to pop. OK, we're getting pretty close to every mistake I've made in trading. But I never did the drunk sell by accident. Could you imagine, and then it pops? o_O

Looking forward to riding with y'all. Don't fall off and don't get fancy. Just ride on.

I didn’t mean to sound like I’m great at timing anything. I maintain about 5% margin just to capitalize on all the volatility. When it seems oversold I dip into some margin; and when it runs up to about 5-10% over those buy prices I will trim my most expensive shares.

It’s enough to pay the 1.6% margin interest. But mostly it’s mentally satisfying that I’m sticking it to the shorts, MM’s, or HF’s. Sometimes those shares go deep in the money and they become long term HODL shares and sometimes those shares go deep in the red and it hurts a bit. But this system keeps me from selling any core shares and gives me something to do.

In hindsight holding all of those shares obviously would’ve been more profitable but I hate margin. The margin would’ve been more efficiently used to buy options but my timing is terrible and I suffer from low T so I have no sack for that.

Cheers to the longs as always.

Is now a time to do something like this?
I’ve only played with buying a few calls. Starting last week of ‘21. Done ok so far 10/10.
Just did it.
Sold 10x -p1500 20/1/2023 for 530 credit per share.
Officially cleared my margin.

still interesting if the contract gets assigned at expiration in 1 year. That would be the equivalent of purchasing 1000 shares at 970 in 2023..

And? Even Rivian is only down 1-2% and TSLA is down more than Lucid.....so yeah I'm going to say TSLA is being specifically targeted and we all know it has a lot to do with options, not genuine selling.

Eh, I’m not gonna complain to hard about some profit taking after being up 10%+ yesterday.

What do those other stocks look like YTD? It’s day two and Tesla is still up like 10% YTD. 🤓

I think we've seen this only a couple times here. Not only would they have to feel like dog poo during the whole gap up while saying to themselves - "If I'd just left it alone", or "If we didn't buy our Tesla for cash." But imagine buying in higher up, then it drops cuz you swore it was about ready to pop. OK, we're getting pretty close to every mistake I've made in trading. But I never did the drunk sell by accident. Could you imagine, and then it pops? o_O

Looking forward to riding with y'all. Don't fall off and don't get fancy. Just ride on.
I've never accidentally done the drunken sell mistake either, but I did once buy a tsla put leaps accidentally. I'm pretty sure my brokerage changed the box from call to put while I was making some strike price adjustments. In any case, I sold it immediately for a small loss and bought the call I had intended. I trade in and out of most of my stocks occasionally, but the TSLA is strictly hodl.

gap filled?
Not at all. Barely chipped into the top of the gap.
Friday Dec.31 intraday top was $1082, yesterday intraday* low was $1136.31, so gap was 1082-1136, today lowest (so far) was 1123.45.
So it only got $13 into the top of the $54 gap.

*If you also count pre-market yesterday, that had a low of 1126.53, so we bounced from almost the same point.