Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bears like to compare Tesla to car companies. Wallstreet only cares about profits no matter what kind of company it is. Does Tesla deserves to be part of the trillion dollar club? Lets compare Tesla balance sheet in estimated Q4 to Amazon's when they first hit 1 trillion dollars due to Q4 2019 earnings.

Amazon yoy revenue growth: 21%
Amazon's operating margin: 5.18%
Amazon's operating income: 3.88B

Tesla's yoy revenue growth: ~80%
Tesla's operating margin: estimated ~18%
Tesla's operating income : estimated~ 3.1 B

Yes, amazon made more revenue than Tesla, but their operating margin is trash while guiding revenue growth to be 20-30% going forward(of course their revenue grew more than that due to black swan pandemic). Now that it's post pandemic, we see Amazon's revenue stalling while operating income dropping like a rock.

Tesla is guiding for 50% revenue growth going forward, and most likely supersede this number again in 2022. This is what bears don't want you to see because the operating income which translate mostly to non-gaap will continue to crush minds going forward and it's unprecedented given the revenue growth rate. Infact Tesla will surpass Amazon's operating income in 1.5 years at the guided 50% revenue growth rate(if operating margins stay the same)...however Zach said operating margins will continue to expand for the next few quarters.

Conclusion: We don't have to throw FSD robo taxi/energy/insurance/not a car company/robotic AI or any of that stuff as arguments to why Tesla is fairly valued(or maybe even under valued if they continue to crush earnings). It's all in the balance sheet.

Terrific perspective, @Singuy . And on that note, an update on how close we are to Amazon's market cap (and how quickly TSLA got here):
  • TSLA worth 33% less than AMZN
    • 2 years ago, TSLA was worth 92% less than AMZN
  • AAPL worth 159% more than TSLA
  • TSLA worth 2 ½ the combined EU auto market (excl. Stellantis → in "US market")
  • TSLA worth 3 ½ the combined legacy US auto market
  • TSLA compound annual growth rate (CAGR) over last 5 ½ years: 582%
  • Net worth's down from ATHs:
    • NIO (-48%)
    • Rivian (-22%)
    • BYD (-16%)
    • Meta [Facebook] (-13%)
    • Saudi Aramco (-12%)
    • Amazon (-10%)
    • Tesla (-6%)
What will this chart look like a year from now??

1641325035385.png

Last edited:
Is there a word for "I could retire, but my wife wants to live in the most expensive place in the country and spend $5000 a month on private schools"?

Asking for a friend.
Tell your wife that more obedience school is clearly not needed or wanted and refuse to go and in the future you'll enjoy the fine public schools just like your kids. Problem solved, retire.

They firms providing analysis (and analysts) do get paid, but by whom to achieve what - that is the question...

I have a friend in the financial business, and he says the analysts are basically doing marketing for their firm. Positive recommendations are trying to curry favor with the company being analyzed or similar companies. Negative recommendations are trying to curry favor with competitors of the company. They want the target audience to use their firm for financial services like fund raising, loans, or buying their ETF/mutual funds. Target audience also includes fans or detractors of the company being covered.

Last edited:
On the topic of comparing Tsla to Amazon.

Analyst estimates Amazon's earnings Q4 2021 to be 3.75 billion. This is now within the ballpark of Tesla's Q4 earnings estimate.

Butttttttt look at Amazon's P/S?!@

Yeah no one cares, only profit matters.

Isn't CES2022 going on right now? Wonder what all those attendees think of the Vegas Loop...
CES starts tomorrow 1/5
Seems like VinFast is going big in this one. Quite big space. Qualcomm just announced automotive chips Qualcomm inks car chip deals with Volvo, Honda and Renault they have a nice space there. Some of the companies in the CES here seems to be green. CES hype? FSR, STLA, QCOM are green

Last edited:
Every time we have a good day Stealth is ready to flex his HUGE FABULOUS INCREDIBLE DAY... This is why we can't have nice things.
(I kid, dear @StealthP3D, I love you and I love your free lessons about the power of compounding. They made me a rich man, so I'm forever grateful).

OK, if it'll make you feel any better, my brokerage account depreciated by 2X my lifetime earnings so far today! Oh, the pain, how will I cope?

The good news is that I bought 2 lbs. of organic butter yesterday and that should last until Tesla announces 2021 financials at the end of the month. So no rationing of the supplies, at least until then. ;)

OK, if it'll make you feel any better, my brokerage account depreciated by 2X my lifetime earnings so far today! Oh, the pain, how will I cope?

The good news is that I bought 2 lbs. of organic butter yesterday and that should last until Tesla announces 2021 financials at the end of the month. So no rationing of the supplies, at least until then. ;)
Good to know you put in the gravy then! (Or is that Poutine?) :p

On the topic of comparing Tsla to Amazon.

Analyst estimates Amazon's earnings Q4 2021 to be 3.75 billion. This is now within the ballpark of Tesla's Q4 earnings estimate.

Butttttttt look at Amazon's P/S?!@

Yeah no one cares, only profit matters.

This comparison with AMZN has only made me think AMZN looks reasonable value. TSLA is beyond cheap.
CES starts tomorrow 1/5
They should hold another CES in the summer. Engadget has pages of pre-CES announcements already.

This comparison with AMZN has only made me think AMZN looks reasonable value. TSLA is beyond cheap.

They should hold another CES in the summer. Engadget has pages of pre-CES announcements already.
Well in Amazon's case, the reason the stock has flatlined for the past couple of years and really only up 66% in the last 4 years or so is because the promise of those giant profits hasn't really materialized. The idea was that once the ecommerce business grew to such a scale, profits would just suddenly start pouring in. That hasn't really happened and investors have started to question just how much profit will actually be rolling in and when.

Whereas it's been difficult to really tell how much profits should be expected of Amazon in the future, Tesla's future earnings and profits are so easy to see.........except that Wall St just choses to ignore them.....oh well good for us now that Tesla's at scale to force the issue 🤫

It's a Fool's Game to try to forecast Free Cash Flow (FCF). Well I'm your fool.

"Tesla Delivers $2 Billion in FCF in Q4". 📢 There I said it !

1641330171359.png

Details of my Free Cash Flow are here:

news like we have takes days (potentially weeks) to absorb. what does everyone think short term (about 45 days, enough time to let earnings sink in too)?.
1300, 1400?
1000, 1100?

to me, all seem possible in that timeframe!
but new highs may help establish a new ‘range’. to me that’s the one of the interesting parts.
$1,400 range I would think.