Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An offshoot of the "it can't be done" crowd is the "if Tesla can do it, others can do it just as well" crowd. These people don't think Tesla has anything special, they are rooting for someone, anyone other than Tesla, to succeed. And I get that - it would be nice if all automakers could flip a switch and churn out EV's in large enough numbers to meet all the demand right now. But, these people should be careful for what they wish for. Because at the point there are enough EV's to satisfy demand, the emperor will not be able to hide behind low volumes while using ICE sales to cover up the problem. The problem is the cost to produce. It is impossible to offer good value when your company is inefficient at manufacturing.

Legacy auto could claim to be efficient at manufacturing ICE cars because there was no one to show them what was possible. There was no Tesla of the ICE world to illuminate just how archaic and inefficient automaking had become. It's easy to look good when you are surrounded by a field of equally incompetent manufacturers bringing poor value to consumers worldwide. Huge barriers to entry protected their incompetence.

The transition to EV provided the private investment capital for a new company to enter the race. Tesla knew they had to try harder and offer more to scale the barriers erected by the status quo and that caused them to reimagine what an auto could be and how it could be made at lower cost. Most of us here have profited handsomely by realizing that Tesla does have something special. And as time goes on, the difference between Tesla and the rest becomes more and more apparent, not less. Remember when people said the others will catch up to Tesla? Those people don't understand, it's not just about making a car with certain specs, it's about offering real value. They don't understand that not all manufacturers are equal.

The impressive P&D numbers released yesterday are not the really important thing, at least not directly. The reason the P&D numbers are important is what they reveal about Tesla. This is the best demonstration yet of Tesla's ability to make more with less and that is what drives down the cost for consumers. In four weeks, that will show up as enviable margins in the release of the 2021 financials. Those industry leading margins, even before Tesla has reached volumes measured in millions per year, are just the tip of the iceberg that has big, bloated legacy auto running scared. If Tesla can increase production and reduce cost per car that easily now, how can they compete on price when Tesla has economies of scale of millions of units per year and the EV market starts to become saturated? Because Tesla's cost to produce advantage will continue to increase with the application of new production technologies and increasing production volumes will multiply those effects. Legacy auto debt will grow as they struggle to modernize and keep up and huge debt works against the goal of low cost to produce. Anyone who thinks others will be able to keep up on that most important metric, cost to produce, must be smoking crack.
Such a great post, that I somehow missed, but found thanks to it being in merit thread (thx mods!)

My take is the same and I sum it by saying...

Even though it looks like a car; it is a computer. But not just any computer, it's a computer that no other company can build. And that gap has been widening everyday for the last decade. And the pace of widening is accelerating...HODL!

Latest FSD incoming!

Screenshot_20220108-173020.png

Great idea!

I'm in a similar situation as @FireMedic. I'm pretty much all in on TSLA stock and options. Buying FSD for $10K would mean $10K less of TSLA shares, which I don't want to do. When we purchased our Model Y in September, we financed it for exactly this reason (first time in forever we have not paid cash for a car).

I would be in that 'FSD in half the fleet' category if Tesla offered financing for it.
I can't believe that this is even a point of discussion for you guys. Buy/Hold stock. If FSD actually works in 2 years than the stock is going to be worth so much more it won't matter what the FSD costs may be. Tesla no longer needs cash so they don't need you buying FSD.

Just saw a youtube video announcing Giga Berlin has been approved for another 2k "test vehicles". Tesla apparently is not happy with the current production quality and need approval to keep running the line and work things out. So what do they do with the 250 they already made and what will they do with the next 1000 or so? Crush them up? I wouldn't think Tesla would want to sell them to anyone even at a discount.

Just saw a youtube video announcing Giga Berlin has been approved for another 2k "test vehicles". Tesla apparently is not happy with the current production quality and need approval to keep running the line and work things out. So what do they do with the 250 they already made and what will they do with the next 1000 or so? Crush them up? I wouldn't think Tesla would want to sell them to anyone even at a discount.
There has been zero word of Tesla being unhappy with the build quality. Not sure where you’re getting that from. Or really where you got any of that from

The 2,000 permit is so that Tesla can test running the lines at higher volume

I saw a post on a forum from someone asking if their beta car was worth more because it was a beta. Didn’t sound like a test mule, it was bought used from a Tesla employee who bought it at a discount. So maybe? If I were a new employee and had access to coworker know-how and parts, why not?

I can't believe that this is even a point of discussion for you guys. Buy/Hold stock. If FSD actually works in 2 years than the stock is going to be worth so much more it won't matter what the FSD costs may be. Tesla no longer needs cash so they don't need you buying FSD.
Yeah, I don't see how this is even a discussion. Unless you have some very specific financing situation.

If/when FSD works well enough for robotaxi the stock will have gone up more than the price for FSD. If it doesn't work well enough Elons not gonna be able to keep raising the price.

According to the Jan 8th update numbers (2nd table below), for 2021, Europe sale excluding UK went up 101.40% over that of 2020.

If Tesla ship the same amount this year, and Giga-Berlin can deliver 131K additional Y's , then this number will double again this year.

Also note that Tesla volume in Germany increased by 160% over 2020. [**Edit below on the 160%] This is higher than I expected since so many German OEMs ramped up their EV sales last year.

**Edit: Media publication is showing Germany Tesla sale increased "only" by 137.9% annually.

Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 7.56.51 AM.png

Last edited:
I saw a post on a forum from someone asking if their beta car was worth more because it was a beta. Didn’t sound like a test mule, it was bought used from a Tesla employee who bought it at a discount. So maybe? If I were a new employee and had access to coworker know-how and parts, why not?
Post a link then. Otherwise it might sound like you are making things up ;)

• Funny
Reactions: FireMedic
For those confused about the LVCC loop

Was the LVCC loop a success (reddit)

TBC demonstrated 4400 p/h during a live and audited test. This allowed TBC to receive 100% of the construction contract.

The contract also requires Loop be able to transport 3960 p/h for 13 hours during the biggest conventions, failure to maintain this average results in fines. These big campus wide, all three hall, conventions happens about 10-12 times a year (prepandemic).

The second place Doppelmeyer Cableliner was bid at $215M vs Loops $49M Bid.

Here's some quotes from a PC world columnist who's been to CES several times. And note he never had to wait more than a minute:
But as I’ve seen from repeated runs on this route this week during CES 2022, it still improves on the previous transportation picture here.
So while the Boring Company advertises a two-minute travel time from one end of the LVCC to the other, the fastest ride I measured took 3:05 on Tuesday. One earlier that day stretched out to 4:35 because a driver ahead started off strangely slow, causing a miniature traffic jam.
But even a slow Loop ride easily beat the pedestrian experience at the LVCC, which involves lengthy hikes and extended escalators between each hall. I quickly got used to having this option waiting, especially since the shriveled state of this year’s CES meant I didn’t have to wait more than a minute.
I also soon got frustrated at not having this as an option to get to other CES venues.
The Boring Company at $47M was less than a quarter the cost of the competition and still made volume requirements ? That sounds like a win big enough to change the world.

every one is talking about actual ridership numbers, not capacity. We are in a pandemic, and convention center visitors are at about 25% of their usual. Even CES only had 40,000 visitors.

condsider that last one, if you only have 1/4 the possible customers it's not unusual that you have cars with 1 or 2 people in them. You don't want people sitting there waiting for the next people to walk up one at a time just to fill a car if you have multiple empty cars available.

Last edited:
@DaveT had a good overview of reactions to the FSD price rise today. Mostly bullish sentiment.

I think it's far more likely they realized another hardware upgrade is needed to get FSD on parity with humans. The $2K hike should decrease the take rate and should cover most of the cost of the free hardware upgrade. Converting more and more C code to neural nets is great (and probably the only way forward) but it comes at the cost of eventually requiring faster hardware.

I wouldn't be surprised if gen 5 hardware will be needed to achieve parity. We are currently on gen 3. Elon thought gen 3 would be 10x better than humans. Then he decreased it to 3x last summer (and said gen 4 would be 10x). That's why I think they now realize gen 3 is 1x or worse. This trend goes all the way back to the gen 1 hardware.

Also, I think the idea that software development speed will increase exponentially is totally bonkers. This would be a much bigger breakthrough than level-5 FSD or even fully autonomous telsa-bots. That's because with exponentially faster development speed you get L5 FSD and autonomous bots and a whole bunch more. Then much much more the following year and so on.