Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those confused about the LVCC loop

Was the LVCC loop a success (reddit)
I used to attend CES every year in the Microsoft booth for 5 years in a row. Nearly every year I received the flu a few days later. I hope everyone who attended enjoyed their Tesla rides and did NOT get sick! Free advertising!

I think it's far more likely they realized another hardware upgrade is needed to get FSD on parity with humans
Not how it works. Ask me how I know. The short answer is that it just gets us there faster. More processing power, bigger memory footprint, unbounding critical bottlenecks for the stack. Watch @DaveT interview James; he gets it. Or go very deep with Lex and Jim:

That doesn’t line up at all with this story.
Posting a link to an NYT article without any comment is not adding anything to the conversation and most of us have an aversion to the things they post.

Most likely the article has something in it that puts Tesla into an inferior light.

If not, then great, but please let us know!

Las Vegas Loop : Boring Company
@BoringLoopLV

**** UPDATE **** Yesterday the LVCC Loop moved 37,809 passengers, averaging 3,151 per hour Further updates to follow

keep in mind this was with one station of 3 closed, and only 25% of normal traffic for the event.

OK one big change for #CES2022. The South Hall is completely closed. No exhibits. Not sure if that’s due to West Hall expansion or the smaller footprint of the show.

Assuming they averaged 2 people per car, a 9 passenger vehicle might have the capacity to do ~12,000 people per hour with the same number of trips if there aren't other bottlenecks to scaling.

Joke seen on a reply:
News flash! Loop only moves convention with three thousand people at a rate of three thousand people per hour. More details at ten.

Last edited:
NY times = anti Tesla. I don't even have to open the link to know that, just hovering over it is all I need.

Google 'Broder and doing circles in a parking lot' or just click here: A Most Peculiar Test Drive

He's now a managing editor of the NY Times.
Discoducky, you are perfect example of a Tesla fanboy with a closed mind in this statement. I too have found that stories in the NYT, the WP and LAT have shown shocking levels of prejudice and stupid anti-Tesla screeds, but this story is actually quite positive about Tesla and its approach to auto manufacturing. The author gets it!

Posting a link to an NYT article without any comment is not adding anything to the conversation and most of us have an aversion to the things they post.

Most likely the article has something in it that puts Tesla into an inferior light.

If not, then great, but please let us know!
It seems utterly and completely positive in tone and thesis. Way down at the end it BRIEFLY mentions quality control issues that wouldn’t perhaps be the ones I would underline. But I mean BRIEFLY. The other 99.9999 percent basically says what we all know at this point, which is the past 4Q’s hammer home the fact that many decisions Elon made that drew criticism, such as taking much of his supply chain in-house, and focussing on the digital side of automating (and keeping even that part of the design lean and elegant), have been fully vindicated and legacy automakers totally blew it and are desperately playing catch-up.
It’s not a massive tome of an article, I didn’t think it needed summation, sorry.

V10.8.1 confirmed. Release notes below. This appears to be a huge release with a ton of improvements. Can't drive it tonight, will tomorrow morning.

View attachment 753686View attachment 753687
Release note is the same as 10.8 except they took away "Expanded use of regenerative braking in AP down to 0mph..."

67r8pxxdog781.jpg

V10.8.1 confirmed. Release notes below. This appears to be a huge release with a ton of improvements. Can't drive it tonight, will tomorrow morning.

View attachment 753686View attachment 753687
Same release notes as 10.8 that came out 2 weeks ago. The only thing new with fsd is the resetting of strikes. The bigger deal in this release is the fixing of the HVAC

I think it's far more likely they realized another hardware upgrade is needed to get FSD on parity with humans. The $2K hike should decrease the take rate and should cover most of the cost of the free hardware upgrade. Converting more and more C code to neural nets is great (and probably the only way forward) but it comes at the cost of eventually requiring faster hardware.

I wouldn't be surprised if gen 5 hardware will be needed to achieve parity. We are currently on gen 3. Elon thought gen 3 would be 10x better than humans. Then he decreased it to 3x last summer (and said gen 4 would be 10x). That's why I think they now realize gen 3 is 1x or worse. This trend goes all the way back to the gen 1 hardware.

Also, I think the idea that software development speed will increase exponentially is totally bonkers. This would be a much bigger breakthrough than level-5 FSD or even fully autonomous telsa-bots. That's because with exponentially faster development speed you get L5 FSD and autonomous bots and a whole bunch more. Then much much more the following year and so on.
One more point to consider: Dojo is supposed to be ready this year. I would really like to see Dojo’s increase in training speed translate to bigger improvements on each FSD Beta release (as a FSD Beta tester who has yet to have a zero intervention drive). My guess is we won’t find out if HW3 is good enough until Dojo has been online for 6-9 months.

FSD at peak potential is worth 100K to me, some days 200K.

I paid between 6K-10K so I'm not all that bent about it.

Time is the true asset where you cannot buy more and everyone has the same

While I might have had formal education in Economics, I don't think you need one to properly valuate what FSD cost you.

FSD cost is 10,000. You feel like you wasted 10,000.

It's
10000 subtracting
ANY USAGE you got out of it. (Tangible)
Being part of the journey. (Intangible)

Is it that hard people?
Capitalism fixes this problem where a sole source dictates a price in two ways. One is that the maximum profit us certainly not made by charging vs the value of the most wealthy persons time. The other is of course price competition. Tesla finally could make up a better pricing structure that maximizes revenue by splitting commercial and personal use. I have the money to buy FSD and absolutely would not at $20,000. That represents lost revenue. And I certainly am not alone.

• Informative
Reactions: bkp_duke and kanweg
Capitalism fixes this problem where a sole source dictates a price in two ways. One is that the maximum profit us certainly not made by charging vs the value of the most wealthy persons time. The other is of course price competition. Tesla finally could make up a better pricing structure that maximizes revenue by splitting commercial and personal use. I have the money to buy FSD and absolutely would not at $20,000. That represents lost revenue. And I certainly am not alone.
That is how it should go from both a commercial point of view, in view of the mission (ICE is replaced quicker, less energy is wasted if fewer cars crash), and in view of peoples happiness (fewer people hurt/killed) in accidents.

photoshop had two versions. An expensive version with CMYK for print shops and a cheap one without for regular users. The expensive FSD version could have features for Uber/robotaxi use, such as dispatching, easier customer location (like Apple AirTags based on the location of the customers phone), billing, unlimited annual miles per year etc. For consumers there could be 2 tiers depending on miles driven.

Discoducky, you are perfect example of a Tesla fanboy with a closed mind in this statement. I too have found that stories in the NYT, the WP and LAT have shown shocking levels of prejudice and stupid anti-Tesla screeds, but this story is actually quite positive about Tesla and its approach to auto manufacturing. The author gets it!
Nah. The NYT has been a Tesla cesspool for many years now. Filled with blatant lies. Not sure who this Jack Ewing guy is, but that article was a breath of fresh air, totally uncharacteristic for the NYT Tesla coverage. Just like @Discoducky, I generally ignore NYT Tesla pieces because they're just garbage. This one was different.

Thanks for pointing out that this article was worth reading, if not for any actual new information, then at least as a change of pace for the NYT.

In The Netherlands we have many sayings with a lot of old wisdom in them.
One of them is: "trust arrives on foot and leaves on horseback".
Well, The New York Times has made sure that for many of us the trust has been galloping away.
Can't blame @Discoducky. The ball is in the New York Times court here.

Well, The New York Times has made sure that for many of us the trust has been galloping away.
Can't blame @Discoducky. The ball is in the New York Times court here.
I don’t see it about the NYT but about learning from the example. It is about the useful example.

We dismiss information at our peril. As investors we need to be reminded that information is our advantage. We should temper our justified suspicions about sources but analyze every item regardless of the source.

Most of us have been seeing slanted, prejudiced reporting for years. This is not new. I seek it all out and appreciate those that report it here. It is all data and change usually starts being visible in the data IMO.

The biggest factor in Tesla mission and stock valuation in the next 10 years is FSD.

Loop, in the long term vision, is a Personal Rapid Transit system based on autonomous EVs. An underground 3D road network of platooning robotaxis with high station density.

If this works as I expect it to, it will majorly accelerate the rate of EV adoption as measured by % of total vehicle passenger-miles.

It also indirectly affects Tesla via Elon Musk. The more successes he has in other business ideas, the more resources and credibility flow his way in general. Especially talent.
Wasn’t boring contractually forced to deliver autonomous evs end of 21? do we know if the cars during ces use fsd at least for some parts?

Can't blame @Discoducky.The ball is in the New York Times court here. The NYTimes has a long trail of horse puckies behind them.

FTFY. ;)

Cheers!!

NY times = anti Tesla. I don't even have to open the link to know that, just hovering over it is all I need.

Google 'Broder and doing circles in a parking lot' or just click here: A Most Peculiar Test Drive

He's now a managing editor of the NY Times.
Actually to my pleasant surprise it is a pro-tesla article showing how they are nimble and quickly outrunning legacy auto.

I don’t see it about the NYT but about learning from the example. It is about the useful example.

We dismiss information at our peril. As investors we need to be reminded that information is our advantage. We should temper our justified suspicions about sources but analyze every item regardless of the source.

Most of us have been seeing slanted, prejudiced reporting for years. This is not new. I seek it all out and appreciate those that report it here. It is all data and change usually starts being visible in the data IMO.
Gentle push back here. Not all data is worth spending time on.
GJ and Toilet boy are prime examples.

Seeking alpha has put out so many completely wrong articles about Tesla, I would think finding the rare balanced article not worth the time.
I am sure JPMorgan would love to sell me "research" about why they have a $295 price target for Tesla....I would not waste my time reading it.