Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are two sides to every coin. So, on one hand I can see your point and it points to approvals coming soon. On the other hand, if the delay in approval of production is not about a fundamental and real thing like water supply, then what the hell is the hold-up? Just red-tape about nothing that actually matters? Because that's not a good look either...

I
I rarely disagree with you, but on this I must. There are different approval systems in place for Fremont, Sparks, Austin, Shanghai and Grüneheide. They have different positives and negatives. One need not infer nefarious motives to any given situation.Generally speaking everyone si more comfortable with the system they know best.
Having lived myself under many different systems, including some distinctly unusual ones, I find to hard to be too critical of any one.
Specifically, the German system makes sure anybody who wants to voice an opinion can do that. Participatory democracy does on occasion make fast decisions seem slow. That does not necessarily impede progress.
Red tape in some places is a polite way to say NO.
In Germany that is not the case. There autocracy is not tolerated.

That's all. It's going to work out well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rarely disagree with you, but on this I must. There are different approval systems in place for Fremont, Sparks, Austin, Shanghai and Grüneheide. They have different positives and negatives. One need not infer nefarious motives to any given situation.Generally speaking everyone si more comfortable with the system they know best.
Having lived myself under many different systems, including some distinctly unusual ones, I find to hard to be too critical of any one.
Specifically, the German system makes sure anybody who wants to voice an opinion can do that. Participatory democracy does on occasion make fast decisions seem slow. That does not necessarily impede progress.
Red tape in some places is a polite was to say NO.
In Germany that is not the case. There autocracy is not tolerated.

That's all. It's going to work out well.

I didn't infer anything nefarious. I was merely questioning what the hold-up was for (red tape?) if not for something that might actually matter, like water. It seems like bureaucratic cluster-frunk. I do think approval is imminent, it's just taking too long, and over what?

Nefarious motives? You have me confused with someone else.

what the hell is the hold-up? Just red-tape about nothing that actually matters? Because that's not a good look either.
Does not look good especially when compared to Giga Shanghai, which took just 3 days after construction completed and all papers submitted. But notice that was "record time", meaning the Chinese went out of their way to approve Tesla and 3 days is not the norm. The Germans would look down upon expediting Tesla approval as it would show favoritism.

I guess I got to excited and didn’t see the obvious.

Lots of front and rear casting stored inside, Joe got some great early morning shots inside the factory.

Beautiful! Much shiny, new production line installed and ready to go. Looks like at least half the areas shown are still basically empty, (but in a good way); ready for continued construction and outfitting for production.

Over the years we've seen many bins of apparently scrap castings and stampings; it must take hundreds of first-run castings in order to do the necessary tests and fine-tuning of the molds and such to get the final products coming out just right so there'll be no surprises down the road.

The new Giga's are gonna rock.

This is not what Minister Steinbach (he's a professor and PhD Engineering....) said - rough translation was that they were meters away from finishing the approval process and that he was not going to make any statements or infer anything related to the approval process, directly or indirectly, over the next couple of days so as not to risk being accused of taking undue political influence on the process.
Indeed, he was talking about the last yards.

My German is a bit rusty (I repeat, rusty, reader beware), but I actually got the impression (Steinbach said something about not harming the company) that they are done and that they want to leave it up to Tesla to announce when/that the approval has been obtained. He said he would be tight lipped for the next few days.

Global Equities Research (analyst Trip Chowdhry) PT increase from $1200 to $1500:

"Delivery activity in 1Q2022 is much stronger than that of just concluded 4Q2021". :)

20220112_110813.jpg

Indeed, he was talking about the last yards.

My German is a bit rusty (I repeat, rusty, reader beware), but I actually got the impression (Steinbach said something about not harming the company) that they are done and that they want to leave it up to Tesla to announce when/that the approval has been obtained. He said he would be tight lipped for the next few days.
Meanwhile it's literally illegal to sell, directly outside the factory doors, the very products we intend to manufacture in Austin. And we're concerned about German efficiency and logic? Lol

From my perspective, both are moving along nearly optimally. Remember, Tesla likely can't even begin to scale production until this covid mega-spike has receded. There's no way they're comfortable with the level of hiring so far, let alone their ability to deploy it effectively.

Makes all the sense in the world to wait and give updates on both factories on the 4Q call. The only people who desperately NEED to hear these things are open right now is us. :)

I didn't infer anything nefarious. I was merely questioning what the hold-up was for (red tape?) if not for something that might actually matter, like water. It seems like bureaucratic cluster-frunk. I do think approval is imminent, it's just taking too long, and over what?

Nefarious motives? You have me confused with someone else.
Sorry. I did not mean to offend you.
..."something that might actually matter, like water"
might be part of why it seems so odd. The modern German systems hold that broad participation and opinion consideration are things that matter inordinately.
Sometimes it may seem that the most efficient systems are often those that do not encourage diversity of views.
That may not be true, even for Tesla.