Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, quite literally a joke at this point. Bring on the EC!

OT

Your new avatar is tremendously cute.
I don’t know why anyone thinks the earnings call will change anything. The last few really great calls all resulted in a sharp drop. Maybe in a few weeks/months after the call we will rise again, but I’m not holding my breath in the near term.

Take money out of stocks, park it in 10 yr treasuries, buying goes up, yield goes down. It’s a risk off indicator at this point. I agree Q1 GDP is going to take a hit, as will overall productivity and travel is way down compared to H2’21. We’re about 25-30% below 2019 levels at this point, so extrapolate that to airlines, hotels, rental cars, restaurants, etc. This phase is going to pass though quicker than the last ones, but this point in this phase IMHO was predictable. As I said last week and earlier this week, the bargains are coming just not today.
Great, please post the buy day 24 hrs in advance to I can set up my orders:)

I thought I’d ask this question (that I should probably remember the answer to off the top of my head) because others here might like assistance recollecting the answer as well and it is applicable to most all:

Let’s say I need to sell shares to get a certain amount of money, e.g. to cover a given sum of taxes, how do I calculate how many additional shares I need to sell to cover the taxes on the shares I sold to cover the original amount (and so on)? Any rate could apply, but call it 37% for concreteness.

Note that this is not the same question as “How do I calculate my tax on capital gains, income, or whatever?"

Also note there may be further subtleties in a given situation. For example, this can remain hypothetical for a few more months in my case *cough* safe harbor *cough*

Final note, I didn’t realize that in retiring I would lose some of that sense of contributing to society and that paying taxes mitigates the feeling of loss (though there really can be too much of a good thing 😅).
gross_sale=net_needed/(1 - tax_rate)

*If basis is zero*

1642108146291.png

I don’t know why anyone thinks the earnings call will change anything. The last few really great calls all resulted in a sharp drop. Maybe in a few weeks/months after the call we will rise again, but I’m not holding my breath in the near term.

It might, or might not. But it is a welcome distraction and always something Tesla investors should look forward to.

Well you called the $1,030 but don't see where that tgt comes from TA. Care to share?

Cheers!
The Stock Channel.
Some people on this forum think (might be right) that this Youtuber is "all hat no cattle" but I find it's informative, and helpful. For long term shareholders (me) it doesn't matter. HODL

Is it just a fact going forward that this stock will swing 7 to 10% on a daily basis? I am making and losing more money on a daily basis then I made in my first 20 years of working. Someone is making a fortune for sure. Sheesh.

Take money out of stocks, park it in 10 yr treasuries, buying goes up, yield goes down. It’s a risk off indicator at this point.

Yes, but the theme of the year has been interest rates rising so we must punish all QQQs. Maybe they were buying the ten year all along in the previous stock dumps, but today the demand for the ten year was overwhelming?

Would 'risk on' be ten year rates rising as the bonds are sold and the money is put to work in the stock market?

But he didn't predict that we would get there, he just said if we get there we will likely go lower. So now that we hit 1030 we can see how he did on predicting a drop to 940.
That's just how his TA works. If we hit _____, then we most likely will end up _____. So if anything, if we breach 1030 and the stock keeps falling...some people may think it'll free fall to whatever their worst fear is. But his prediction gets you ready for 940 as the bottom for a potential bounce. For people who don't trade, it's like having a peace of mind because you know what the potential destination is vs someone who looks at falling numbers and panic.

I assume this brought fear and loathing today to the stock market. Wish I had seen that coming, but TSLA trades at multiples usually so...

CNBC: Supreme Court blocks Biden Covid vaccine mandate for businesses, allows health-care worker rule.

I assume this brought fear and loathing today to the stock market. Wish I had seen that coming, but TSLA trades at multiples usually so...

CNBC: Supreme Court blocks Biden Covid vaccine mandate for businesses, allows health-care worker rule.
I really doubt this has anything to do with it. The market cares about inflation and bond yields, and right now there's some price discovery in terms of what it all means right now. They sold MSFT down over 4% today, that usually never happens.

That's just how his TA works. If we hit _____, then we most likely will end up _____. So if anything, if we breach 1030 and the stock keeps falling...some people may think it'll free fall to whatever their worst fear is. But his prediction gets you ready for 940 as the bottom for a potential bounce. For people who don't trade, it's like having a peace of mind because you know what the potential destination is vs someone who looks at falling numbers and panic.
Yeah, it’s like when I make a blueberry lemon loaf. If I replace the sugar with salt then likely it won’t be edible, whereas if I replace the oil with unsweetened apple sauce most likely nobody will notice, except that one blueberry lemon loaf aficionado. Therefore you know we must live in abject horror that person is on the PTA baking committee taste testing before sales begin.

Let the record show, we now know how quickly the zombie apocalypse goes to 11. We’ve had our dry practice run.

Meh, it's kinda a pointless ruling in the regards of Omicron.

As a physician, I can tell you Omicron is running through the population like a wildfire. MUCH faster than any other variant. We're going to be approaching herd immunity regardless of convincing a portion of the population to be vaccinated or not. And honestly, if you gave these people their first dose today, I don't see it making that much of a difference when we are approaching 1mil new cases per day in the USA.

What does that have to do with TSLA and the markets? A lot, I believe. Much faster recovery when Wall St. starts to see case counts dropping.