Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rueter's is reporting that the CT is delayed until 2023, according to an "inside source". If true that's genuinely disappointing, and embarrassing TBH. Hopefully they learned a lesson to not unveil new products so far from production.

Leaned? That's not a Tesla thing when it comes to announcements or timelines. Should be a good FUD fest. Besides, early 2023, so what a few months or so.Another buying opportunity for everyone. What Tesla should so is announce march of 2023 and deliver in December 2022. Any future products should be announced with 6 months added to the real date, the media won't know what to do:)

Reactions: NooB_cat and MD70

It has been Elon's tactic in the past to release more information on upcoming Tesla products when competitors introduce new products (or new powerpoints). This is the 1st time I've heard of the potential for another CT reveal event, but it would not surprise me.

Also, it'd be good to keep it separate from the first Austin Model Y deliveries (and afterward, too). I wonder how this might tie in with a Giga Texas "County Fair" as was done in Berlin?

Cheers!

Personally, I hope the 2nd version of Cybertuck is the same chasis, but with an LFP battery pack. So make a quad-motor 4680 version for $$$,xxx bucks, and a dual-motor LFP version for $$,xxx bucks.

I'd buy the dual-motor LFP. I'm not going to tow a 10K lb boat 500 miles w/o stopping. But I would like to plug a CT into my garage and have it run my house for 10 days when the power goes out (yes, I use 10KWh/day). Mobile powerpack! :D

Cheers!

Rueter's is reporting that the CT is delayed until 2023, according to an "inside source". If true that's genuinely disappointing, and embarrassing TBH. Hopefully they learned a lesson to not unveil new products so far from production.

The entire article is put into question after this dubious part -- "The person said the delay comes as Tesla is changing features and functions of the electric pickup to make a compelling product as competition heats up in the segment."

There's no "features" that other EV announced pickup trucks have that the Cybertruck doesn't have except for the crab walk......which no one actually cares about. So I find it hard to know what Tesla would actually want to change to make it a "compelling" vehicle. It already beats in terms of price, range, and specs.

As Pierre put it best. No one was more surprised by Tesla's demand than Tesla. They used to break their backs trying to push an unfinished product out. Now they can't keep up with production of existing products even at a run rate of 1.2 million a year.

When the roadster/semi/cybertruck were revealed, Musk was expecting there will be enough batteries to supply these products...welp they were caught off guard. Continue popularity of the 3, Y, S, X and even megapacks are sucking supply dry.

Remember when they started the Texas factory, it was planned to start cybertruck production. Then I guess they saw their Model Y backlog and switched gears. In fact they were not expecting S/X refresh demand to be so high either.

The entire article is put into question after this dubious part -- "The person said the delay comes as Tesla is changing features and functions of the electric pickup to make a compelling product as competition heats up in the segment."

There's no "features" that other EV announced pickup trucks have that the Cybertruck doesn't have except for the crab walk......which no one actually cares about. So I find it hard to know what Tesla would actually want to change to make it a "compelling" vehicle. It already beats in terms of price, range, and specs.
Exactly. If the CT was going to be delayed, a redesign would be the least likely reason of all. Battery shortage? Sure. Suppliers’ capacity? Could be. But a redesign? Nobody makes changes to their products as quickly and as efficiently as Tesla does. Are you telling me the company needs another 12-15 months for redesigning? Please. Trash journalism per usual.

Exactly. If the CT was going to be delayed, a redesign would be the least likely reason of all. Battery shortage? Sure. Suppliers’ capacity? Could be. But a redesign? Nobody makes changes to their products as quickly and as efficiently as Tesla does. Are you telling me the company needs another 12-15 months for redesigning? Please. Trash journalism per usual.
Redesigning the CT is highly likely as Elon now designs the product around the production line. So if they are not spitting out a cybertruck in under 10hrs of assembly time then there will be redesigns, and redesigns some more. I agree that it has nothing to do with matching features of competitors lol.

Sadly, Physicians often do not understand epidemiology. Failure to understand how diseases spread is a great failure of medicine today. Without a doubt physicians are expected. to understand things far in excess of individual human capacity. OTOH, @bhp_duke is correct. Whetehrwe choose to accept it or not infectious disease is now material our TSLA investments. Worldwide people of every qualification fail to understand how extensive the implications of global climate change are, and how viral and bacterial influences are accelerating.

Lest we forget it, these also threaten our TSLA investments.
If there is a rough sea ahead, I want to be on the best possible boat.

And if there is a calm sea ahead, I'm still happy to be on the best possible boat.

Short term we always know things can go south even for TSLA, long term it is the best boat to be on.

Not sure if you are serious - Rueters???

They have been POS for long. Reuters have been especially hostile towards Tesla. I'd not draw any conclusions based on that trash. 26th is near.

As far as CT production goes, here is what I think it's happening.

4680's production is not going as planned. I wouldn't say that it's Tesla's problem. But rather, the suppliers who Tesla has on contract cannot shift their production line to 4680 at the pace that Tesla is seeking.

Thus, given the delay in 4680 productions, and the fact that Austin is optimized with 4680 in mind, Tesla needs to make choices about where to divert the finite resources.

Here is what I predict it's going to happen given the limited number of 4680 that would become available.

Semi is a go. It will ship to major customers, at least with enough quantity that they can carry out a proper cost analysis by switching to Tesla Semi.

Model Y Performance or maybe even Plaid will be produced there. Again... only model that can take full advantage of 4680 and with the margin to match would be allocated. This can also prevent people from waiting to order their Y simply to wait for 4680.

Last but not least, quad-motor CT will start production. It has the margin to match and take full advantage of 4680. The remaining variants of CT would be produced as the production of 4680 ramps. I think all tri-motor reservation holders would be given the option to switch their order to quad or wait. A nice upsale tactic I guess. :D

The assumption is taken because it's going to take time for Austin to ramp up production, and it can match, on a production level, to 4680 batteries as they become more and more available. And as soon as 4680 enters full production, they can be made available to less profitable models. This is what I think makes the most economical sense in term of cutting-edge products.

As Pierre put it best. No one was more surprised by Tesla's demand than Tesla. They used to break their backs trying to push an unfinished product out. Now they can't keep up with production of existing products even at a run rate of 1.2 million a year.

When the roadster/semi/cybertruck were revealed, Musk was expecting there will be enough batteries to supply these products...welp they were caught off guard. Continue popularity of the 3, Y, S, X and even megapacks are sucking supply dry.

Remember when they started the Texas factory, it was planned to start cybertruck production. Then I guess they saw their Model Y backlog and switched gears. In fact they were not expecting S/X refresh demand to be so high either.

I think they just really need to provide a firm date. "Late" is ok, "unknown" is what causes FUD etc. Hopefully the Semis start to get out soon and we get a date for the CT, along with final design in the next month or so.

They have been POS for long. Reuters have been especially hostile towards Tesla. I'd not draw any conclusions based on that trash. 26th is near.

I hate to say it, but the timing does make sense. If they show off the final design in say March, then EOY production start feels about right. I certainly hope they are wrong and of course don't trust them more than I can throw them.

Reactions: ThisStockGood
Personally, I hope the 2nd version of Cybertuck is the same chasis, but with an LFP battery pack. So make a quad-motor 4680 version for $$$,xxx bucks, and a dual-motor LFP version for $$,xxx bucks.

I'd buy the dual-motor LFP. I'm not going to tow a 10K lb boat 500 miles w/o stopping. But I would like to plug a CT into my garage and have it run my house for 10 days when the power goes out (yes, I use 10KWh/day). Mobile powerpack! :D

Cheers!
What about the markets that can't handle such a glorious beast?

Lol....is this everyone's first blowout quarterly report? A bit of "bad news" plus the inevitable MM pushdown to max pain and everyone's clutching their pearls. Lever up sissies!
I'm levered! Today's drop sucked but I know it will be a blip here in 2 weeks or so.

1642122880059.png

Day caps off with Mama Cathie exchanging TSLA for BROKU.

Levering into the wrong stonks.

What about the markets that can't handle such a glorious beast?

The world already has ample access to Tuk-tuks and Golf pickups. CT is, and always was, about killing the full-sized N. American ICE pickup truck (with all the CO2 it belches) mainly seen posing in the Costco parking lot, and during 1-person 30-mile daily commutes on paved highways.

Elon knows EVs will never succeed in the USA until the coolest pickup truck is a Tesla Cybertruck.

OK, before having that delightful event I'd probably want to offer you some basic references so we do not need to rehash misconceptions.
1. tariff barriers nearly always have practical workarounds.
2. non-tariff barriers are harder.
3. I'd offer also a couple of primers on China. People overwhelmed by disdain usually miss the facts.
4. It's wise to study individual taxation rules, corporate taxation rules and 'unitary' income, both individual and corporate.
This will go off topic soon. The primary point is that TSLA understands and managed all these points superbly. They're given little to no credit because prejudice overwhelms the actual facts. Securities analysts never understand international business, Never. Nor do nearly all the denizens of TMC.
5. To illustrate the points Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong offer some valuable information references.
Love ya. Lets end for now as you say, it will swirl off topic.

New CT update (this is an exclusive): Tesla realizes they will need four wheels for the CT in order to be produced and delivered. This will cause significant delays, and may put the whole 'truck' into question.

As far as CT production goes, here is what I think it's happening.

4680's production is not going as planned. I wouldn't say that it's Tesla's problem. But rather, the suppliers who Tesla has on contract cannot shift their production line to 4680 at the pace that Tesla is seeking.

Thus, given the delay in 4680 productions, and the fact that Austin is optimized with 4680 in mind, Tesla needs to make choices about where to divert the finite resources.

You're imaging a problem that doesn't exist:
  1. Tesla was NEVER planning on using 3rd-party 4680s for Cybertruck (where did you get that?)
  2. you're reacting to a roto-REUTERS story as if it were true (it is clearly FUD, full of self-contracting errors)
  3. given the false assumption, then lets go one step further and make unwarranted conclusions.
Tesla last reported in the Q3 conf. call that Cybertuck production was on track to begin at the end of 2022, and would enter volume production in 2023. That HAS NOT changed. Even the laughable Reuter's clown said 2023, he just needed to slip in the little lie about "delayed" (which it is not).

Then you swallowed it uncritcally, and jumped off a cliff with it. That's why Reuters pays the big bucks to its storytellers.