Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure that I understand how the profitability of a fueling station could ever approach gasoline....the vast majority of homeowners will rarely refuel away from home (except for long trips). Therefore the volume of electricity sales should always be significantly lower than gasoline and especially while EVs are just a percentage of all automotive sales. Plus aren't people speculating that as the world increases sustainable energy production towards 100%, that energy costs actually go down?
Gas stations have razor thin margins on the fuel they sell, less than 2%. They make up for that with convenience store sales and car wash.

EV charging stations can capture customers for longer periods which could boost sales of food, coffee, etc.

there are millions of people who live in condos and apartments with no place to charge an EV.

Have you all seen the YouTube channel The Macmaster? He’s usually a food reviewer but he recently bought a Porsche Taycan. Looks like he is having a horrible experience travelling around with it. Now he’s spreading a bunch of fud on why you shouldn’t buy an electric car. Anyways, his followers seem to be very uneducated in the comment section. I commented letting him know that travelling in a Tesla is a dream. At the end of the video he says he wants to hear from some Tesla owners.

Contrast in goals is what I see:

Tesla - we'll make a million mile motor that doesn't need any servicing
BMW/Nissan - we'll make a motor that WILL wear out long before the life of the EV, and it sheds dust continuously, so there will be maintenance requiements (happy dealers?)
Said another way...

Tesla first principal thinking... Best way to address service scaling is reduce service per mile so that when you ramp from 100K vehicles per year to 20M per year, scaling is easier. Never depend on service as profit source.

BWM...Already has existing hungry dealer infrastructure to maintain which depends on servicing cars...

Interesting that BMW essentially found a way for even regenerative braking to still produce wear and dust 😉

Have you all seen the YouTube channel The Macmaster? He’s usually a food reviewer but he recently bought a Porsche Taycan. Looks like he is having a horrible experience travelling around with it. Now he’s spreading a bunch of fud on why you shouldn’t buy an electric car. Anyways, his followers seem to be very uneducated in the comment section. I commented letting him know that travelling in a Tesla is a dream. At the end of the video he says he wants to hear from some Tesla owners.

I honestly wouldn't bother. He's the sort of YT idiot just out there to get more views. He'll say and do whatever winds people up the most. How he's even got 54k subs baffles me, but idiots like watching even bigger idiots (present company excepted of course :p )

Said another way...

Tesla first principal thinking... Best way to address service scaling is reduce service per mile so that when you ramp from 100K vehicles per year to 20M per year, scaling is easier. Never depend on service as profit source.

BWM...Already has existing hungry dealer infrastructure to maintain which depends on servicing cars...

Interesting that BMW essentially found a way for even regenerative braking to still produce wear and dust 😉

They call it degenerative braking.
In this instance it would actually be correct to use the form "breaking" ... ;)

And an antor thing.
I see tesla bullish Youtubers posting that Germans are getting notified about their Model Y's coming in March...
From what I have seen reeeeeepeatedly on All sources of reservation holders talking about when they are getting their EV's, that time changes at the snap of a human's fingers.
I would theorize that getting sent a "Coming to you in March" would mean, "Get your stuff done because we are letting you know it ain't as far off as the last message we gave you." And it probably ain't gonna be March.
"We don't want to catch you off guard so... Get your paperwork together very soon."

I added a comment. I don’t know if it will change anyones mind, but the comments were full of misperceptions and bias. I think it helps to have some balance rather than a one sided echo chamber where they reinforce each other’s perceptions - based on very little direct experience.

They will all be EV drivers some day, whether they believe it or not. ✌️

Heat pump issues being investigated by NHTSA and Transport Canada

Thread describing the issue, with an Elon comment:

I'm actually surprised that the online petition actually had an impact........though I think in reality the NHTSA did this not because of the public outcry but because they know that they open themselves up to lawsuits and prejudice by having her be involved with anything Tesla related after those tweets.

Moderator Directive:
Anyone referring to a recent massive volcanic eruption as being analogous to the future of Tesla to the world’s __fill in the blank__’s industries is prompted to use that volcano’s full name:

Hunga-Tonga-Hunga

This is not a joke. It may not be the whole truth, but it’s close enough!

With no context the twitter thread itself doesn't mean anything to me. Did Tesla ask a law firm they had hired and was working for them, to fire an associate hired from the SEC. Then decide to stop doing business with the firm?

Maybe that is just a roundup of recent twitter activity around Musk and Tesla?

What insight did you gain from this that you thought would be valuable to the wider community?

With no context the twitter thread itself doesn't mean anything to me. Did Tesla ask a law firm they had hired and was working for them, to fire an associate hired from the SEC. Then decide to stop doing business with the firm?

What insight did you gain from this that you thought would be valuable to the wider community?
Source is a WSJ article published today.

Most interesting and relevant thing to me is the report in that article that NHTSA has required Mary (“Missy”) Cummings to “recuse herself from any Tesla-related matters”. That could be a good thing for TSLA investors.

The post I made with the link about NHTSA and Ms Cummings is from the WSJ article, just not behind the paywall. There is some very important things to Tesla investors in that article.

Reactions: AZRI11 and JusRelax
76AFF49A-6BA5-4D3E-8DDE-449F9BAB4DAF.jpeg
FBEBB527-F536-47E0-8C1E-53BAE68F8387.jpeg

Which one of you has the R1T in Tampa? It’s smaller than I thought but more beautiful in person. Long way from Michigan! Charging on a J1772 ChargePoint unit.

I do not think I would purchase this truck based on what I saw. It looks about as big as a suv and certainly doesn’t feel like a normal American truck. More like the Ford Ranger sold overseas.

When has news about Tesla’s business or legal practices not been of interest to the wider Tesla community? I took it as another example of DFWE (last 2 words “with Elon”). Cummings recusal was also news.