Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Battery news . . .

Tesla signed an agreement last month with Australia's Syrah Resources, which operates one of the world’s largest graphite mines in the southern African country. The value of the deal hasn't been released.

Tesla will buy the material from the company's processing plant in Vidalia, Louisiana, which sources graphite from its mine in Balama, Mozambique. .. up 80% of what the plant produces — 8,000 tons of graphite per year — starting in 2025, according to the agreement.

Battery news . . .

Tesla signed an agreement last month with Australia's Syrah Resources, which operates one of the world’s largest graphite mines in the southern African country. The value of the deal hasn't been released.

Tesla will buy the material from the company's processing plant in Vidalia, Louisiana, which sources graphite from its mine in Balama, Mozambique. .. up 80% of what the plant produces — 8,000 tons of graphite per year — starting in 2025, according to the agreement.

So much better use of a coal mine!

WTH is the "Dawn project" and who's sponsoring it?

EDIT: The comments say The guy runnning this ad, Dan O’Dowd, is the CEO of Green Hills SW. Among other things, they work with Auto companies on ADAS and Automated Driving Systems.

....Yup. If you can’t compete, litigate. If you cant litigate, legislate....

Granted it's just FUD, but FULL PAGE NYT?

I wonder if Tesla has grounds to sue for defamation. That's clearly a Model X in the picture. Trademark infringement?

I think this may be the third pro-Tesla mass media article (with zero FUD) that I’ve seen this year. Perhaps with all OEMs now advertising their EVs, we will see less anti-EV headlines going forward.

Except:

Schmidt [Matthias Schmidt, a Berlin-based analyst and publisher of a monthly report on Europe’s EV market.] said the four German carmakers would be better served not trumpeting their growth rates lest they draw too much attention to the figures.

“It’s nothing they should be shouting about really because their gains are coming from low levels, so you would expect to see a huge rise,” Schmidt said. “It’s a bit of a joke to me, really.”

I think it's highly unlikely that the next factory is going to be in Slovakia given previous comments from Elon. The driving factor for the last couple of factories was "where are the worlds best engineers willing to live".

I've been to Slovakia twice on short trips and they were a lot of fun, but I have serious doubts that it could be used as a drawcard for engineers the same way Berlin or Austin are.

Slovakia would be a fantastic choice.
Currently it produces most cars per capita in the world -200 cars per 1000 citizens - by far the largest ratio in the world.

So there clearly is a critical mass of engineers, and it is very business friendly, plus a nice country to live in.

WTH is the "Dawn project" and who's sponsoring it?

EDIT: The comments say The guy runnning this ad, Dan O’Dowd, is the CEO of Green Hills SW. Among other things, they work with Auto companies on ADAS and Automated Driving Systems.

....Yup. If you can’t compete, litigate. If you cant litigate, legislate....

Granted it's just FUD, but FULL PAGE NYT?
So they offer 10K to everybody who can name one of the other car vendors with drive assistence software?

The amount of financial growth Tesla is experiencing truly startles me. I've had my own Excel model of Tesla's financials for over two years now and my predictions were much more conservative than the reality has been. I have to admit my model has been incorrect, given margin / revenue growth Tesla will be worth much more than I thought it would in the near future.

Of course I'm okay with this! :D
Yup, I am kinda okay with this too! 😀
However, I am getting bored with this YT. It seems that he has been trying to get “clicks” by regurgitating other people‘s points/comments without adding anything original.

Hey does anyone know where an up to date tracker for how many cars each manufacturer has sold that counts towards the 200,000 EV tax credit phaseout? The most recent data I can find is through June 2020 which is not particularly helpful. My understanding is Toyota is going to hit the 200k mark this quarter, Ford next quarter, but not sure about anyone else
For Ford you can see the most recent data here:

But from the looks of it Ford has at least another year before they hit the phase out that starts at 200k.

That garbage by the "Dawn project" deserves a legal response. Of course, by doing so Tesla will only bring that garbage to light .... how many people will ever see that ad? It's a tough choice to make ... my ego would make me fire off a call to the legal dept at Tesla but in the end it might be better to ignore the troll and let them keep wasting money.

BTW, after waiting 5 years for a Tesla ... I chose, very wisely to put every $ into TSLA and it's paid off beyond belief ... I'm picking up my Fully loaded Model Y tomorrow at noon!!!!!!! I'm beyond excited.

I'm intrigued by the implications of this:

- does this have any ramifications on previous NN training which used 8 bit processed images
- will Tesla use 10 bit images for future training
- if so, I assume this uses bigger file data, so restricts size/number that can be stored then uploaded?

Elon already mentioned this is part of Yet Another Fundamental Rewrite of FSD during his Lex interview, and will require retraining everything again- and likely result in V11 taking some steps backward in performance at first (with the idea being it'll be a ton better in the long run, the current system having found Yet Another Local Maximum).

The optimistic take is it's Tesla again being willing to change direction when they realize they're heading down a dead end, rather than say keep operating tiny #s of heavily geofenced RTs in a tiny suburb the same way for 10 years :)

Numerous discussions of it in the FSD area, for example:

• Helpful
Reactions: CLK350 and Queeg500
E car/truck ad dollars at work for football day in the US.

The ad they’re running is quite pathetic because of the spaceX diss (which actually shows they’re competing with a company that has space tech 🙃), but the funny part to me is that if I was an investor in Ford right now…..I’d be wondering and worried as to why Ford is spending millions every weekend on advertising when they should have plenty of demand for the Mach E and their upcoming truck. They shouldn’t even remotely need to advertise right now. They could be taking the millions they’re spending daily on these tv spots and put that money into something like charging locations….or ya know throw the money at trying to attract engineers to advance your piss poor software.

But yet they claim hey have so much pent up demand and still throw millions every day down the drain. It’s really telling….and makes me laugh every time that commercial comes on.

I think this may be the third pro-Tesla mass media article (with zero FUD) that I’ve seen this year. Perhaps with all OEMs now advertising their EVs, we will see less anti-EV headlines going forward.

Except:

Schmidt [Matthias Schmidt, a Berlin-based analyst and publisher of a monthly report on Europe’s EV market.] said the four German carmakers would be better served not trumpeting their growth rates lest they draw too much attention to the figures.

“It’s nothing they should be shouting about really because their gains are coming from low levels, so you would expect to see a huge rise,” Schmidt said. “It’s a bit of a joke to me, really.”

Really. Wait till we see GM's Q422 YoY numbers.

That garbage by the "Dawn project" deserves a legal response. Of course, by doing so Tesla will only bring that garbage to light .... how many people will ever see that ad? It's a tough choice to make ... my ego would make me fire off a call to the legal dept at Tesla but in the end it might be better to ignore the troll and let them keep wasting money.

BTW, after waiting 5 years for a Tesla ... I chose, very wisely to put every $ into TSLA and it's paid off beyond belief ... I'm picking up my Fully loaded Model Y tomorrow at noon!!!!!!! I'm beyond excited.

It's VERY interesting that Tesla USA and Tesla China have taken very different approaches to this. In China, Tesla has gone after, and taken to court successfully, "activists" that have been spreading false statements on social media.

Wonder why Tesla has not gone the same route in the USA.

It's VERY interesting that Tesla USA and Tesla China have taken very different approaches to this. In China, Tesla has gone after, and taken to court successfully, "activists" that have been spreading false statements on social media.

Wonder why Tesla has not gone the same route in the USA.
Going after them in the U.S. makes it into a David vs Goliath with Tesla being Goliath. Going after them would make heroes of the anti-Tesla crowd. China doesn't have the same D vs G view and the way the FUD is done in China is different due to culture.