Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did my part for Q1 by taking delivery yesterday! Amazing car and on a whole new level from my previous 75D. #theyokeisdope
PXL_20220115_230132894.jpg

Battery news . . .

Tesla signed an agreement last month with Australia's Syrah Resources, which operates one of the world’s largest graphite mines in the southern African country. The value of the deal hasn't been released.

Tesla will buy the material from the company's processing plant in Vidalia, Louisiana, which sources graphite from its mine in Balama, Mozambique. .. up 80% of what the plant produces — 8,000 tons of graphite per year — starting in 2025, according to the agreement.

Interesting. I thought Tesla used only synthetic graphite because mined graphite wasn't of sufficient quality. It appears that this has changed.

Battery news . . .

Tesla signed an agreement last month with Australia's Syrah Resources, which operates one of the world’s largest graphite mines in the southern African country. The value of the deal hasn't been released.

Tesla will buy the material from the company's processing plant in Vidalia, Louisiana, which sources graphite from its mine in Balama, Mozambique. .. up 80% of what the plant produces — 8,000 tons of graphite per year — starting in 2025, according to the agreement.

Does this reflect at all on the silicon anode presented at battery day? Maybe only partial Si? Or would this be used for the lower energy density iron phosphate type?

Battery news . . .

Does this reflect at all on the silicon anode presented at battery day? Maybe only partial Si? Or would this be used for the lower energy density iron phosphate type?
Jordan G (The Limiting Factor on YT) has explained many details but I don't recall exactly what his opinion is on natural versus synthetic graphite. He does mention using silicon as a "dopant" in the graphite for higher power yields; probably also more expensive of course.

It's VERY interesting that Tesla USA and Tesla China have taken very different approaches to this. In China, Tesla has gone after, and taken to court successfully, "activists" that have been spreading false statements on social media.

Wonder why Tesla has not gone the same route in the USA.
Maybe b/c China's government (and therefore the media) supports Tesla, whereas in the US it's exactly the opposite ? Here in the US suing would only increase FUD exposure without impacting FUDsters at all - remember, the FUDsters *ARE* the powerful Wall Street interests, and GS (Goldman Sachs) is the entry training ground for high level posts in the US administration (from either of the 2 parties).

Maybe b/c China's government (and therefore the media) supports Tesla, whereas in the US it's exactly the opposite ? Here in the US suing would only increase FUD exposure without impacting FUDsters at all - remember, the FUDsters *ARE* the powerful Wall Street interests, and GS (Goldman Sachs) is the entry training ground for high level posts in the US administration (from either of the 2 parties).
The US govt gave Tesla a nearly zero interest $400M loan to scale their operations. I think it was posted here a while back.

Unhackable is basically an absurd statement.

Which is why tesla takes part in events like pwn2own etc.
Second this.

As soon as I read software that can't be hacked... my thought was: either they never created anything or it's something so small no one ever bothered to hack.

Perfect software does not exist because of software's complexity and hardware reliance nature. The moment you create it on a platform (again, hard and soft), they are bound to be hacked because those software/hardware that it relies on to run can be hacked. Unless you are running a system that operates on complete custom software AND hardware that is based on NOTHING on the market, and no one else has access to and understanding of the system architecture with offline-only access, you might get somewhere close to unhackable or too challenging within a timeframe. But even then, it's only a matter of time for someone to reverse-engineer it given enough time. After all, whatever hardware you design still has to be within the current EE boundaries. And if whatever you created was based on a common knowledge (Electrical engineering in the case of hardware), someone would be able to find its logic and access point.

The US govt gave Tesla a nearly zero interest $400M loan to scale their operations. I think it was posted here a while back.
Recall also that Tesla chose to repay this loan ASAP because it was not really free: it came with obligations to share some of the technology advances and required more filings and paperwork that were counterproductive to Tesla's mission.

Newest Safety Report is out. Tesla continues to improve.

Accident Data

Q4 2021​

In the 4th quarter, we recorded one crash for every 4.31 million miles driven in which drivers were using Autopilot technology (Autosteer and active safety features)
In contrast Waymo had one accident every 339 thousand miles up to Sept 2020.

“Waymo’s driverless cars have driven 6.1 million autonomous miles in Phoenix, Arizona, including 65,000 miles without a human behind the wheel from 2019 through the first nine months of 2020. . . In total, Waymo’s vehicles were involved in 18 accidents with a pedestrian, cyclist, driver, or other object. “