Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Remember the costly battery fix outrage promoted by Rich Rebuild? Apparently it's FUD. The "$5000" died soon after the video was out.
I'm confused.

This is the opposite of FUD, right? His supposed "$5,000 Fix" died, so he DID require a $22,000+ battery fix . . . which IS a problem that Tesla needs to address.

Not only is it bad in real world terms--it's more than half the value of an older MS--but the FEAR FACTOR of having that massive expense hanging over your head with every drive will cause the value of older MS's and MX's to plummet.

Tesla needs a low-cost solution for older Teslas, perhaps some small portion of 4680 production, or some Li-Iron, or SOMETHING, can be diverted to create a pool of packs to supply this market, hopefully for well under 5-figures?

The numbers SHOULD be small, but their impact on social media will be HUGE if we don't get a handle on this ASAP. Here's an idea: sell them at a small LOSS as not doing so would greatly hinder Tesla's overall mission in the long run?

So, I don’t question it happened nor that it’s frustrating. But you know what I do?

First, I already have ‘extras’ in my vehicle. Like doesn’t everyone? Weren’t we all taught to have some provisions; tools, kitty litter, blanket, first aid, etc? If I didn’t, after it happened once, I’d be prepared for any future possibilities, that’s for damn sure.

And yes, I’ve driven in subzero temperatures of this kind several times in my life in ICE cars without heat. When it gets that cold, do you know how long it takes for an engine to warm up enough to warm up the antifreeze to blow hot air? A long bloody time and sometimes not before you get to your destination or not at all.

It’s like these people have never drive in cold temperatures before.
Disagree on several levels.

First, it's 2022, these are VERY expensive cars, and standards/expectations have changed.

Second, if you're taking a long-trip in, say, Canada or the northern tier of the US, the Nordic countries, etc., exposure to ambient temperatures for long periods WILL threaten your ability to actually keep yourself and your family alive.

Third, it very much appears that Tesla dropped the ball here as this is year TWO of these complaints, and I posit that IF Tesla had done better cold weather testing these failures would not have occurred.

As shareholders, we should all be disappointed with this issue, especially as it creates a huge FUD opportunity (that IS partially true!) that hampers Tesla's critical mission.

Until this is resolved, it DOES count as a Tesla "Fail," and a big one at that.

BYD yesterday launched three EV models in Brazil. Those details belong in another thread.
However, BYD stated in their Introduction to their Blade technology that Tesla has signed an agreement to buy Blade batteries from BYD.
That has been rumored widely, of course, but this was directly said by BYD.
I am now trying to get permission to quote directly from the announcement.
Here is the link to the original article in Quatro Rodas, Brazil’s most popular car magazine. this includes the Tesla BYD ststement. i did not translate the article.
Vídeo exclusivo: BYD Han e Tan chegam em 2022 mais luxuosos e baratos que carros a gasolina

Remember the costly battery fix outrage promoted by Rich Rebuild? Apparently it's FUD. The "$5000" died soon after the video was out.
I don't think this is something we should be celebrating. Successful 3rd party battery repair at reasonable cost is something that is needed for older Tesla's if they're to remain viable outside of warranty.

Having watched Rich a little in the early days, I would question his competence to be doing this sort of work though, unless he now has competent staff working for him.

With that amazing 70,602 cars sold locally, Tesla was the top luxury car brand insured in China in December. And was #14 brand in overall auto sale in Dec.

My guess is that while most of the 6.3% drop in YOY sale could be due to overall shortages, some is due to the 6 months wait time for new Teslas Instead of buying something else off the lot.

The 175.6% YOY growth vs others shows Tesla is taking shares away from the next 6 top foreign brands.

Last edited:
What the Mittelstand wants
from The Economist

“Bureaucracy is costing German business around €50bn ($57bn) a year,” says Mr Völz. Over the last decade parliament has passed three legislative packages to ease the bureaucratic burden on the Mittelstand. But little real progress has been made. According to Nikolas Stihl, head of the supervisory board of Stihl, the world’s leading maker of chainsaws, excessive bureaucracy helps explain why Germany is 30 years late with big infrastructure projects such as the feeder road for the 55km railway tunnel that is being dug beneath the Brenner Pass linking Austria and Italy. “We don’t know any more how to implement big projects,” sighs Mr Stihl.​

In case you thought Tesla’s Berlin project was alone….
Never ask the CEO of a chainsaw company if they want less regulation.

Just a little bit off topic, but referring to the recent talk about an ad in NYT.

"Steve Jobs" at Whole Mars Blog has put up a long post,

Why Dan O’Dowd Has Blood on His Hands

I haven't read it all yet, but this is his advice:

Finally, I will close by saying I have no real problem with Dan O'Dowd or the people at Green Hills Software. My problem is with the dangerous ideas they're spending millions to spread, putting myself, my friends and the public at risk.

When we started writing about Missy Cummings conflict of interest, TSLAQ tried to spin it as "bullying". In their view, we have no right to participate in our democracy and should have no say in public policy that affects us directly. To make our case strongly, we should attack the O'Dowd's ideas rather than trying to bother him for spreading them.

That means try to be as nice as you can, don't make anyone at Green Hills Software feel unsafe or uncomfortable or anything like that. Treat them with much more respect than they deserve, but tear their argument to shreds. Share your stories about what it's actually like to use FSD, rather than just watching videos about it on YouTube.