Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The bears it seems. However subscriber growth was half of expectations. That’s pretty significant. Clearly affects the PEG.

half? just read this "The company said it added 8.28 million subscribers in the three months ended Dec. 31. Analysts on average had expected additions of 8.39 million, according to IBES data from Refinitiv"

QQQ | 200-Day| StockCharts.com - Permalink w. MA(100) + MA(200)

sc.QQQ.200-DayChart.2022-01-19.16-00.png

Maybe MM's will come to the rescue and actually support TSLA at 1,000 tomorrow 🤷‍♂️
I hope nobody listens to me but that is what I'm expecting. Closing at around 1k tomorrow. Maybe some fomo early next week. Then I'm expecting a blockbuster earnings and some reassurances from the Fed on Weds. Hard to imagine they will be any more aggressive after the recent market action.

We are on the trailing end of the worst part of a pandemic. Immunizations are available. People are going back to work and have less time to watch Netflix all day. It's obvious that subscriber base would be down and that NFLX probably isn't a good stock to own at this point in time. It's probably why they raised their subscription price.

Don't see how that has any correlation to TSLA's performance really. Who knows, maybe people leaving NFLX will flock into TSLA, which is a**ing kicks and naming takes.

This may be timing out really well for TSLA, actually.

QQQ hitting lower BB. Peak Fear. Options expiration tomorrow.

Starting Monday, we might see a stellar run for TSLA, with FOMO of the upcoming stellar earnings, NASDAQ recovery, and exits from other tech stocks that probably have more trouble ahead (NFLX, ZOOM) which benefitted from the pandemic, and that money perhaps flowing into TSLA, which has blue skies ahead.

NFLX now ↓ 20% after-hrs at 14:38 ET (below screenie is from 14:28)

View attachment 758057

General selloff after hours, TSLA down to $986 on 467K volume @ 16:40

Turns out, these ARE the droids they're looking for...

:p
But, but, who cares about after hours prices? Google finance even stopped quoting these.

/s

half? just read this "The company said it added 8.28 million subscribers in the three months ended Dec. 31. Analysts on average had expected additions of 8.39 million, according to IBES data from Refinitiv"
This is the quote I’m referring to. “In Q4 2020, Netflix added 8.5 million subscribers. The company also said for the first quarter of 2022, it expects to add 2.5 million subscribers, compared to the 3.98 million it added in Q1 2021.”

This is the quote I’m referring to. “In Q4 2020, Netflix added 8.5 million subscribers. The company also said for the first quarter of 2022, it expects to add 2.5 million subscribers, compared to the 3.98 million it added in Q1 2021.”
yes, expectations were for over 6 million new subs in Q1. Thats a pretty hard deceleration in growth.

Edit: To state the obvious, the relevance for TSLA in this is, I do not see this level of deceleration in growth happening in a loooong time.

Huge EPS beat for Netflix and tanks. Who's running this show?
Exactly. THEY make up a 2022 Q1 number high so they have a reason to drop Netflix down some completely ridiculous number (20%!) even tho all the other numbers were in line or a beat. This is a prime example of what can happen to Tesla.
What I see reported for NFLX.. note how Netflix beat EPS but still gets punished in the wording of the article.
1642715315707.png

Keep this in mind for Tesla's report. Everything can beat but if anything forward looking is not better than perfect THEY will short the F out of it and tank the SP. We have seen it many times. Right now THEY want everything to look like the world is ending for Tech so that is the picture THEY will paint. For example THEY want 1.5M cars for next year so THEY will want Tesla to guide for 375000 in Q1 because... you know... that is 1.5m divided by four and that's how it works right?

Exactly. THEY make up a 2022 Q1 number high so they have a reason to drop Netflix down some completely ridiculous number (20%!) even tho all the other numbers were in line or a beat. This is a prime example of what can happen to Tesla.
What I see reported for NFLX.. note how Netflix beat EPS but still gets punished in the wording of the article.
View attachment 758060

Keep this in mind for Tesla's report. Everything can beat but if anything forward looking is not better than perfect THEY will short the F out of it and tank the SP. We have seen it many times. Right now THEY want everything to look like the world is ending for Tech so that is the picture THEY will paint. For example THEY want 1.5M cars for next year so THEY will want Tesla to guide for 375000 in Q1 because... you know... that is 1.5m divided by four and that's how it works right?

Which is why the only guidance "they" will get from the Earnings Call is,

"We expect Tesla to achieve 50% per year growth going forward."
( Just like last year and the year before 😏 )

View attachment 758060

You're missing one important piece: NFLX is guiding for only 10M new subs for 2022. That's a YOY growth of only 4%. I believe this is what's tanking the stock. Nobody wants a 40 PE stock that only guides for 4% growth.

EXACTLY.

THEY expect 1.5 Million. Tesla with that statement is guiding for 1.4X Million. A MISS!
Sure, for those who can do math.

Stock analysts cannot do math, so, being given a percentage they will still be unable to draw their own conclusion.

"They" want a hard number target that can be either hit or missed.

Tesla won't give them one, as doing so would be an insult to the fine art of advanced sandbagging.

Last edited: